Gladewater Head Coach

ChampsBreak

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree There are some things teachers,coaches,cops, ect can't do. Trying to justify it makes you look foolish. He should be let go good coach or not. Its not a mistake its a problem.

I realize that there is a different standard for different professions. But like every situation there should not be 1 blanket solution. Firing is not always the best way to handle a situation. I read the newspaper report, just as you did, and guess what...... I didn't get enough facts from it to decide anything. I think a decision should be based on a little more than the 3 short paragraphs in that article.

Like I said, I pray that the Admin at does a thorough investigation and comes up with the best solution for their school and community. If firing the guy is it, then that is the consequence decided on by people with a lot more info than we have.

I had wonderful, suppporing parents growing up. Supportive of me and the coaches. Never bad mouthed a coach or was intrusive to how he ran his program. With that being said, I still looked up to and admired several of my coaches because of the example they put forth. They were exteneded role models for myself and many of my friends. With that being said, coaches should set a POSITIVE example for the kids/athletes. How anyone could condone the decision this coach made is beyond me. He knows better. I hate that he made this decision, but the fact is that HE made it. As the old saying goes.....he made his own bed and now he must lay in it.

ANother example of poor decisions is one night while out at a local country and western establishment, I witnessed 2 of Longviews female cops drunk as skunks wobble out to their personal car and drive off. I assume they have given DWI tickets at one time or another. You cant be in either position and be so hypocritical. You must practice what you preach.

Issues with him staying

#1 he can no longer drive a bus, not a big deal since he is AD but how can he require his coaches to be CDL certified while he can not.

#2 Athlete A gets an MIP, discipline plan says suspend for 1 game or what ever. Parent is in his office and brings this up....

#3 A coach under his direction has same thing happen, what do you do

And I think a big question is what does it say in his contract. As bad as it is to see him lose his job, fair not fair, it is life and life has consequences.

That, it does...

Agree There are some things teachers,coaches,cops, ect can't do. Trying to justify it makes you look foolish. He should be let go good coach or not. Its not a mistake its a problem.

Not trying to justify anything... Merely stating that the Parents are responsible for being their kids role models. Period.

I agree wit watch your saying and prayer is the best thing for him. I can't see how they won't let him go. Sets a bad example and puts Gladewater in a bad light. That will get you canned 99% of the time. We are talking about Driving Drunk and passed out not having a few too many at the house. I hope Gw ends up better after this.

I don't have a problem if they decide to let him go.....

I do have a problem with people on here saying he MUST/SHOULD be let go. We do not have enough info to make that judgment. The biggest problem I have on SDC is the blanket judgments. Everytime a coach messes up, 30 people come on here and say he should/needs to be fired. They base it off of 1 article that gives basic facts and then they pass judgment. I know my saying anything isn't going to change people making these statements with only few facts. But I have 2 choices, state how I feel or quit reading Smoaky..... I like SDC, so I state how I feel.

I have other rants too...... like people who sit in the stands and talk about how bad this or that coach is, then those same people say coaches are held to a higher standard. Really???? How can you have it both ways. Either they are in a profession that has a higher standard than other or they aren't. We have to behave differently than the ordinary person, we have to have different consequences than other people, yet we also have to sit here and getting run through the ringer by ordinary people because a play didn't work or we didn't win enough. Every person in the stands can do our job better than us, yet we are so above reproach we aren't allowed to mess up in our personal lives either? I don't mind HIGHER standards, but DOUBLE standards bug me.

Sorry...... just had to rant a moment. lol

God forbid you lose your life.

Your son looks up to the coach there, respects everything he stand for. The coach began to display alcoholic behavior would you want the coach still in a position of influence for your children?

So much misunderstanding going on here... I had a coach at Carthage who was also one of my teachers. I graduated in 1977 & married my first wife in'79. In 1996, she was seriously injured in a wreck & was in a coma for 10 days; I had not seen Coach Doug Samford in many years, but he came to the hospital to see me & told me he had been thinking about me & my wife. He came & he & I prayed together for my wife. I will never forget his kindness during this dark time in my life. He passed away a few years ago & he was a tremendous inspiration in my life. I was fortunate to have both parents who were very active in my upbringing, & were as well as Still Are my role models, though they too, are now gone. What Coach Baugh did was without question, wrong. My thought and prayers are with his his family. He needs counseling .

But with all do respect, what was your answer?

My answer is, I probably. Like others, would have serious concerns with him driving my kids anywhere. If he were given the opportunity to undergo counseling and people CAN change- I could see him continue to do his job... Provided he Proves he has earned that second chance.

Good God Folks Driving Drunk IS NOT a mistake, it is a DECSION made to drive or not to drive, A mistake is going to work with two different colored socks on.

This has come up a couple times before with coaches getting DUI's. It's always the same pattern. People minimize it. They come out of the woodwork to say what a good dude the guy is and how unfair it is that his name should be drug through the mud like that. If you don't hit and kill someone then it's just not a big deal to people, even though the difference in outcomes when you drive drunk is LUCK. It's pretty pitiful.

You can fire a gun into a crowd and not hit anyone, but you're NOT a good person either way.

This has come up a couple times before with coaches getting DUI's. It's always the same pattern. People minimize it. They come out of the woodwork to say what a good dude the guy is and how unfair it is that his name should be drug through the mud like that. If you don't hit and kill someone then it's just not a big deal to people, even though the difference in outcomes when you drive drunk is LUCK. It's pretty pitiful.

You can fire a gun into a crowd and not hit anyone, but you're NOT a good person either way.

I do not know, nor have I ever even met the man; however, I do know that people CAN & do turn their lives around & lead normal , productive lives, given the opportunity to redeem themselves. Again, my thoughts are with his family & him. I will not judge him, nor should anyone else, lest we ourselves be judged.

Please know that most of us "ordinary" people also get fired for having a DUI. Even some self employed people like myself hold professional licenses that could not be renewed with a DUI on the record. IMO, this coach is not being held to a higher standard.

As far as coaches being role models. Its obvious that for better or worse coaches influence children. If a coach is a bad influence/example I would think they will have a difficult time keeping a job.

I believe he should be fired! When you're a head coach/athletic director/teacher, you have to lead by example for the young kids that look up to you! When you fail to do that, then you must face the consequences. If he is offered with anything less than termination, what kind of message are we sending to the student body and the remaining faculty?

I wonder how many of you defending the man drink and drive yourself... I have no pity for punishment of anyone that does this or drives under the influence of drugs either

I Clearly stated what he did was wrong. I just disagree that a coach should be held to a Higher standard than the parents.

We are judging this individual when none of us know the circumstances leading up to this. We do not know but what all the drinking was done on that parking lot and he was not driving under the influence. Let the school board and the State of Texas decide after the investigation is complete.

He has already been hung by SDC POSTERS.

So when a kid, as a minor, commits a crime, the cops arrest the COACH for failing that Kid?

No, nor will the parents get arrested unless they themselves did something illegal. Not sure how that fits this discussion anyway.

My point was that coaches, teachers, politicians, govt workers, and entertainers are examples of high profile jobs that will bring with them a higher level of scrutiny from the general public. You take on that risk when you sign up for the job.

He made a horrible horrible mistake, and common sense says that surely this isnt the first time he has made this mistake. Thank God no innocent person or people were killed, crippled, or had their life changed forever by his moronic actions.

But should he lose everything professionally because of this? Thats a very very tough question since most of us have done close to the same thing only to have lady luck smile on us and not have to pay any consequences.

What about locking this guy into his contract for a certain amount of time with no chance of a raise in salary during that time. Provisions being that he must donate 20% of his salary to MADD, or some other type of alcohol awareness program. He must speak to youth groups , go through alocohol counseling, submit to drug and alcohol testing etc. He fails to do any of this, or he loses a bunch of games and his contract is terminated.

Why kick the problem down the road to another community. By the grace of God no one was killed, no one was injured why not try to get some sort of good for all out of this.

You are starting to not make sense. Parents are parents, but not all people have good ones and not all have 2. Coaches do end up filling a role model role, and no that does not mean they are their parents but an adult figure who helps mentor and guide them. I agree parents should be there for them, but it is just not the case for many kids. And no if a kid who is 13 kills someone they dont arrest the parent or the coach. Very silly argument.

Yes it is indeed silly! When I was a kid, my Dad wore a 44" leather belt that he used on us kids to TEACH us not to do wrong. Kids today are not acquainted with this type of upbringing, and it Clearly SHOWS! I didn't Need anyone to be a role model other than MY PARENTS. I was taught right from wrong by TWO deicated parents. I knew early on what not to do, if I didn't want to have that belt to my behind! The world is worse for people not getting taught right from wrong.

We are judging this individual when none of us know the circumstances leading up to this. We do not know but what all the drinking was done on that parking lot and he was not driving under the influence. Let the school board and the State of Texas decide after the investigation is complete.

He has already been hung by SDC POSTERS.

Sorry, but there is only 1 circumstance that matters here, and we do know it......He was drunk driving! Why was he drunk driving (this would be those circumstances leading up to it that you're referring to)....doesn't matter and I don't care. Only the 1 circumstance is what put everyone else on the road in danger.