Gladewater Head Coach

ChampsBreak

There are TONS of professions that have serious consequences to receiving a DUI..... I have one of those jobs. As a health care professional that works under a license issued by the state of Texas, I can tell you an arrest of that magnitude would put me in serious jeopardy of losing that license. Being a second offense, I can assure you a major suspension would be in store at the very LEAST.

You would think so....but just to play devil's advocate, I'll give you an actual situation that would show otherwise.

I once arrested a woman for DWI who was a nurse at an area hospital. She was also charged with resisting arrest based on the struggle she put up during her drunken tyrade. Worse than all that, she told me that she was an ER nurse at "such and such" hospital and that if I ever had to go there, she would remember me and she would get her revenge then.

Today, with those convictions in hand, she is still a nurse at the same hospital. How is that for easing anxiety about having to go to the hospital? lol

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading through all the post on this thread I find that reading comprehension is not a trait of the majority of those posting.

One of the misconceptions is that posters who are not quick to fire Coach Baugh are condoning the actions to which he has been accused and arrested for. That is not the case!!!

Not one poster on this thread has stated that they condone the charges to which Coach Baugh has been accused. NOT ONE!!!

Let me try and rephrase what I have said so that it is easily understood. I don't want anyone to think I condone drinking and driving. In fact I don't drink at all and really think it is a stupid pastime. I have no desire to go out and drink, especially to get drunk so that I can't even remember the fun I was suppose to have had. Not exactly my ideal of a fun evening!!!

I haven't address the charges against Coach Baugh because those are for the state of Texas to prosecute. I don't worry that he will be given a slap on the wrist by the state. If he is found guilty they will prosecute to the letter of the law. That's not the question that we have been debating. Coach Baugh will be punished for his choices.

I have taken issue in my other post on who's responsibility it is to raise our children. Like other posters my parents raised me with a sense of taking responsibility for my own actions and not looking to others to guide me. Does that mean I didn't have any role models? No, of course I looked up to people, but not to the extent that if they made a bad choice was I going to do the same thing or did I believe it was ok just because they did it. None of us can be held up to the degree that we try and hold others up to. Yes. we should all be role models for others, but we also have to realize that the answer isn't in holding others up, it's in fixing the family unit which society (you and me) have destroyed. Even though you might not understand, I agree with those posters who say that we should be role models for those who don't have any and for those who do, but I disagree that it is that black and white.

We have had coaches that were above moral reproach. Coaches that were outstanding, godly men who were great role models. They also had great discipline which didn't go over well in today's society. Parents, aunts & uncles didn't want a great role model, and they didn't want little johnny disciplined. They just wanted to win games and they thought little johnny was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I have known several schools in the area who ran off really great moral coaches because they didn't care about the coach being a role model. They just wanted to win! They didn't care that little johnny would have a great example to learn from about being a great father, a great son, a great employee, a great husband or whatever else little johnny was dreaming of. In the years I have been on SDC I have seen post after post of people degrading good role model coaches because all they wanted was to win games.

So forgive me if I think it's just a little ridiculous to read post after post degrading a coach for NOT being a role model and proclaiming that he must be fired when you ran off the many moral coaches before you gave them time to turn programs around because they didn't win fast enough for you. Folks we can't have it both ways!!

After reading through all the post on this thread I find that reading comprehension is not a trait of the majority of those posting.

One of the misconceptions is that posters who are not quick to fire Coach Baugh are condoning the actions to which he has been accused and arrested for. That is not the case!!!

So forgive me if I think it's just a little ridiculous to read post after post degrading a coach for NOT being a role model and proclaiming that he must be fired when you ran off the many moral coaches before you gave them time to turn programs around because they didn't win fast enough for you. Folks we can't have it both ways!!

You yourself clearly fail at reading comprehension...as you said you think it's ridiculous to read "post after post" that he should be fired...when out of 121 posts (now 122) there have been just 3 that have come to this thread and claim they believe he should be fired.

My point the whole time has been simple....... If the powers that be say he should be fired then he should be fired. They will investigate and will make a decision that is best for the children and that community. My only argument has been that I thing it is wrong that people come on here and say he should be fired simply from reading the report.

Every situation is different and every single one of them should be judged independently..... not 1 blanket punishment for all.

=1

What about a coach or coaches that have been accused of adultery and still have their jobs? Should they still have their jobs? Is not one sin as bad as the other?

=1

What about a coach or coaches that have been accused of adultery and still have their jobs? Should they still have their jobs? Is not one sin as bad as the other?

The Bible says " let he who is without sin cast the first stone." Its a virtual avalanche on here, so there must be some Puritans on here today!

You yourself clearly fail at reading comprehension...as you said you think it's ridiculous to read "post after post" that he should be fired...when out of 121 posts (now 122) there have been just 3 that have come to this thread and claim they believe he should be fired.

And maybe you need to recount!! Oh, and by the way, there are many ways to say someone needs to be fired without actually using the word.

Bottom line is, it's not my decision to make and I know that Dr. Richardson and the members of the school board are going to make the right decision for all concerned, and it will be based on the information they have and not what they read here on SDC.

The Bible says " let he who is without sin cast the first stone." Its a virtual avalanche on here, so there must be some Puritans on here today!

I will agree. I know of several instances within a 50 mile radius of here where that has happened.

Not everyone is you, or me. Others have a different moral compass.

Sadly , BTW I am not anywhere close to being the kind of role model I would want anyone to live their lives by. I have my own flaws which I am completely aware of; I do, try to live each day & make decisions which I can live with. I have never been arrested, nor done physical harm to anyone, & I pride myself on being totally honest no matter the consequences. I also, respect others property- I hate a thief!

I will preface the following excerpts from the arresting officer's probable cause affidavit and that is I believe the coach, as does anyone charged with a crime, has the presumption of innocence and does so until the state meets it's burden of proof.....

According to a probable cause for arrest form released by Longview Police Department, officers responded to a McDonald's located at 408 E. Marshall Avenue around 3:20 a.m. Sunday in reference to a person passed out in a black truck in the restaurant's drive-thru. Restaurant employees told officers that they had knocked on the truck's windows several times but could not wake the man, now identified as Baugh.

Upon arrival, a Longview PD officer observed Baugh's truck in the drive-thru with the engine running. The officer opened the truck's door and turned the engine off, observing the odor of an alcoholic beverage coming from Baugh as he woke up.

As Baugh exited the vehicle, the officer noticed his eyes were bloodshot and that he appeared to be confused about where he was. Baugh was unable to tell the officer where he was, only saying he was at "a place". The officer also observed that his sandals were on the wrong feet.

Baugh refused to stand in the testing position to participate in a field sobriety test. Because of this and other previously listed observations, the officer said he had reason to believe Baugh was intoxicated and took him into custody.

After Baugh refused to give a specimen, a warrant for his blood was acquired and he was taken to Gregg County Jail.

http://www.kltv.com/story/24434772/gladewater-hs-athletic-director-arrested-for-dwi-placed-on-leave

You would think so....but just to play devil's advocate, I'll give you an actual situation that would show otherwise.

I once arrested a woman for DWI who was a nurse at an area hospital. She was also charged with resisting arrest based on the struggle she put up during her drunken tyrade. Worse than all that, she told me that she was an ER nurse at "such and such" hospital and that if I ever had to go there, she would remember me and she would get her revenge then.

Today, with those convictions in hand, she is still a nurse at the same hospital. How is that for easing anxiety about having to go to the hospital? lol

Lol they musta had a hell of a lawyer.

I know someone that had a change of address without notifying the board and they got smacked pretty hard for it. Really. An address change.

As for that nurse. Shame on them. Still stupid.

Lol they musta had a hell of a lawyer.

I know someone that had a change of address without notifying the board and they got smacked pretty hard for it. Really. An address change.

As for that nurse. Shame on them. Still stupid.

She had pled out immediately. Attorney was really a non-factor. I've also known nurses that were busted for raiding medicine cabinets at the hospital that were not sanctioned in regards to their licenses. It's really hard to tell with the licensing board. You never know what's going to create a bee in their bonnet. I've seen them suspend licenses for basically nothing....just like the address change issue you spoke of. It's really hit and miss. Odd.

How about all the times that we hear things like, "If it weren't for football or coach so and so, that kid wouldn't have a chance" or "athletics is the only thing that keeps some of these kids out of jail or coming to school." Coaches preach this stuff all the time and fully understand that everything that they do has an impact on the young men and women that they coach, mentor, and even parent. His ability to positively influence the student-athletes and Gladewater community is forever changed. He will coach again and probably be successful down the road when he has worked through this and some time has passed, but there is no denying the fact that this makes it very hard to continue building on the success he has had so far.

How about all the times that we hear things like, "If it weren't for football or coach so and so, that kid wouldn't have a chance" or "athletics is the only thing that keeps some of these kids out of jail or coming to school." Coaches preach this stuff all the time and fully understand that everything that they do has an impact on the young men and women that they coach, mentor, and even parent. His ability to positively influence the student-athletes and Gladewater community is forever changed. He will coach again and probably be successful down the road when he has worked through this and some time has passed, but there is no denying the fact that this makes it very hard to continue building on the success he has had so far.

Beast of a post. + infinity

This is getting deeper. Are you suggesting that two parents in home make for the perfect situation? No, it takes more than that. Those two parents have to give a damn about the kid and take an active role(model?) in what he or she is doing to help guide him/ her. It will even work in single parent homes so long as that parent involves and challenges the child in day to day life. No, it isn't nevessarily your fault when your kid swears, even though you "never do" ( if thats true, I admire your ability to refrain, because That is something I DO WAY TOO MUCH!

[

Saw this on the news and and was saddened. It reminded me of a good friend who's life was ruined by drinking alcohol to the point he couldn't put the bottle down.

Not only is it an embarrassment to himself, it is an embarrassment to the school. Makes you wonder how many times he came to school under the influence. Is that

the kind of atmosphere you would want to put your kid in? I don't think so. Public servants should and must be held to a higher standard of accountability.

I don't know the man, so it't kinda hard to make a decision on how much he drinks, but in my opinion, at the least he should be

suspended and made to join AAA meetings until he can prove he can meet that standard. If he can't, he should be fired. I think that is pretty much

the way most companies handle employees if they are unable to make it to work sober, or can't come to work because they are

in jail. Treated as a sickness because that is what it is.

It was obvious that this man was very intoxicated. I'm just glad he didn't kill himself of others driving drunk.

Saw this on the news and and was saddened. It reminded me of a good friend who's life was ruined by drinking alcohol to the point he couldn't put the bottle down.

Not only is it an embarrassment to himself, it is an embarrassment to the school. Makes you wonder how many times he came to school under the influence. Is that

the kind of atmosphere you would want to put your kid in? I don't think so. Public servants should and must be held to a higher standard of accountability.

I don't know the man, so it't kinda hard to make a decision on how much he drinks, but in my opinion, at the least he should be

suspended and made to join AAA meetings until he can prove he can meet that standard. If he can't, he should be fired. I think that is pretty much

the way most companies handle employees if they are unable to make it to work sober, or can't come to work because they are

in jail. Treated as a sickness because that is what it is.

It was obvious that this man was very intoxicated. I'm just glad he didn't kill himself of others driving drunk.

You speculate on how many times the many has gone to school under the influence (NOT whether or not he has) then you announce you do not know him?

How do you know he went to school under the influence?