Gladewater Head Coach

ChampsBreak

My question goes to this.... if he had a job say working in a bank, would he need to be fired?

It depends how much you value the integrity of your Bank. Would you want to give your money to a guy with a drinking problem? Should the ole boy be kicked out of the teaching profession? I would say no, but does he know deserved the right to be fired? Yes.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When it comes to personal conduct coaches and teachers are considered to be pillars of the community and so important to our children. But the first time you say something about teachers and coaches pay the importance of the same profession becomes less important. A double standard is in place in this situation. I wander how many of these "fire him" people have done the same thing in their life. Yeah luckily he didn't kill or injure anyone, but let those without sin throw the first stone. I guarantee you if you fired people for DWI's then unemployment would be through the roof. But most people are not smeared all over the front of the newspaper. You would be surprised at the people you know that have done the same thing. He made a mistake and let him work on his problem. Get off your high horses and look at your own lives.

Saw this on the news and and was saddened. It reminded me of a good friend who's life was ruined by drinking alcohol to the point he couldn't put the bottle down.

Not only is it an embarrassment to himself, it is an embarrassment to the school. Makes you wonder how many times he came to school under the influence. Is that

the kind of atmosphere you would want to put your kid in? I don't think so. Public servants should and must be held to a higher standard of accountability.

I don't know the man, so it't kinda hard to make a decision on how much he drinks, but in my opinion, at the least he should be

suspended and made to join AAA meetings until he can prove he can meet that standard. If he can't, he should be fired. I think that is pretty much

the way most companies handle employees if they are unable to make it to work sober, or can't come to work because they are

in jail. Treated as a sickness because that is what it is.

It was obvious that this man was very intoxicated. I'm just glad he didn't kill himself of others driving drunk.

I do not agree with what he did, first and foremost. But I do want to point out one error you made in your statement......

Coaches are not considered Public Servants. Not listed under that Law in the State of Texas. Little known fact.

And before I get accused of being on my moral high horse........ I drink. I drink often. And at times, I can drink in heavy quantities. There are posters on SDC that can attest to it because they have witnessed it.

But they have also seen me both have a DD..... and be others' DD. It's not that hard to do.

In fact.....a certain SDCer was mine a few weeks ago (shut it!!! lmao)

So.....making wise decisions when you're drinking IS POSSIBLE.

Rant over.

I will always be DD, as long as you don't threaten my chrome Rockin L!!!

I do not agree with what he did, first and foremost. But I do want to point out one error you made in your statement......

Coaches are not considered Public Servants. Not listed under that Law in the State of Texas. Little known fact.

Source?

I will always be DD, as long as you don't threaten my chrome Rockin L!!!

Opps....I forgot about that. LMAO. My bad. it was laughing at me....or so I thought.

Why on earth has this thread turned into a sin is a sin thread?

Absolutely ridiculous, this entire thread.

Agreed. While breaking the law is GENERALLY a sin.... the two are mutually exclusive in the workplace. The constitution makes sure of that.

Even as a Christian..... seeing someone lose their job because they broke the law is one thing. But to see them lose their job over sin..... welll.... that's another.

If that was the case....I would have been ex-communicated from healthcare before I even graduated college or finished my internship.

If the guy loses his job... it wont be because he sinned. The ACLU (ughhh) would eat that up. But losing it becasuse he had charges brought against him... that's a completely different story.

For those out there that are keeping Coach Baugh, Dr. Richardson & the school board in their prayers, I want to ask you to also remember Coach Kevin Clark's daughter Sam, who was hurt badly in an auto accident. She had a HALO attached this morning and will also need hip surgery. Appreciate it if you would keep Kevin and his wife and daughters in your prayers at this time!!!

Jeffery Doyle Roberson's trial.

He was charged with Aggravated Assault Of A Public Servant and the jury found him guilty of the lesser included offense of Aggravated Assault. He argued the coach was not a public servant but the trial court did not rule that he was not a public servant, right?

He was charged with Aggravated Assault Of A Public Servant and the jury found him guilty of the lesser included offense of Aggravated Assault. He argued the coach was not a public servant but the trial court did not rule that he was not a public servant, right?

Incorrect, his sentence did not even come close to what would have happened if it was a public servant. Teachers are not classified as public servants at all in Texas. That is also why there is a teacher retirement in Texas versus a state retirement for all "state" employees.

I do not know him, but I would say the number of times he has go to school intoxicated would be zero or less. I also think you implying he might have is very ignorant.

I say it because my very close friend came to work several times drunk., too drunk to realize he needed to stay home. I also smelled in behind the vale of breath mints,

and mouthwash many times. Whether or not coach did I have no Idea, your right on that point.Speculation it is.

But your saying an alcoholic, if that's what he is, wouldn't go to work under the influence is just as ignorant.

Incorrect, his sentence did not even come close to what would have happened if it was a public servant. Teachers are not classified as public servants at all in Texas. That is also why there is a teacher retirement in Texas versus a state retirement for all "state" employees.

The sentence was lesser because he was convicted of a lesser included offense.

TASB seems to disagree with you. See paragraph two at the link http://www.tasb.org/services/legal/esource/governance/documents/gifts_to_pub_servant.pdf

as well as an attorney from the Texas Classroom Teachers Association at paragraphs 19-20....http://theexaminer.com/stories/news/black-and-blue

and the Texas Penal Code definition...... "Public servant" means a person elected, selected, appointed, employed, or otherwise designated as one of the following, even if he has not yet qualified for office or assumed his duties:

(A) an officer, employee, or agent of government

lol He works at a public school. He's payed by the tax payers of the School District, may even get supplemented by the state, I don't know.. The School board is the governing body of the district, elected by the voters

of the district. And right now, I would think that School board is knee deep in this mess he has created.