North Lamar AD/HFC open?

oldhornet

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well then wouldn't it be the other way around? If parents wanted him out I'd think it'd be as football coach. How many people would even know how to evaluate someone's performance as a high school athletic director?

The parents have expressed concern about all sports. I feel like the administration is using this as a way to say, "here, this is us giving you what you want in making all sports better." Like I previously stated, I feel like the administration wants to keep Felty around. You always hear the comment (I have anyways), that Felty will be around as long as Dawson is around. I don't know the relationship between the two, I figure it is a pretty good one since Felty has been there for 17 years. As far as a football coach goes, I don't think he is a bad one. Has his tenure maybe run out? Yes, very possible. Do I think he can win, even after this year, yes. But I do feel as if some kids don't play because he is the coach, but you have that at every school.

I would gladly want my son playing for Tommy Felty, and anyone who doesn't is upset Johnny is playing enough or simply wants to put their nose in where it doesn't belong. The man has been there for 17 years and has done things no one ever has at NLHS. He brought them their first playoff win in school history and competed at the Class 4A level with basically 3A numbers. The guy is a winner.

Exactly the problem is he is not a winning coach per say, and the parents are ready for a winner the politics of what kids start and play are a problem at this school just like any other small town school and that factors in , just like the fact they are in a fairly weak 3A small district with high numerical chances of making playoffs. The facts remain that student involvement is not there, performance is not there. That does not make Felty a bad man just not a winning coach, he has had opportunities in the past with better talent, better seasons etc. For the money invested in the facilities, kids and parents now and in the future that want their program to be the best it can be it is time for change. The school board and administration can make it as pleasant as possible or as painful and negative for the school as it needs to be. The ball is in their court so to speak

My point is he's the only one who has ever won there and has for the most part done so for 17 years. You don't stay ANYWHERE for 17 years unless you've done something right. I was also trying to make the point of how he made the playoffs as a 4A school with basically 3A numbers. They were one of the smallest 4As in the state, and they held their own against Wylie for two straight seasons. Finally got over the hump and won the first playoff game in school history against Hallsville. Parents ready for a winner? What more do they really expect, as again, this isn't a program with a ton of history. You can bring the weak district aspect into plenty of football conversations, but NL nor anyone else decides what district it's in. The talent ebbs and flows, and if he's somehow lost his ability to coach after 17 years, then by all means - replace him. Just remember who helped jump the gun when it came to getting said facilities. The talent is too diluted in a city of 25,000 with three high schools and five others close to 20 minutes away. Felty can't do anything about kids who don't make grades. He can hover over their shoulder all day, but let's at least hold the kids accountable for something.

As far as football. If you know anything about the demographics of NL I highly doubt someone will win more games than Felty.

As an athletic director the girls program won state in softball a couple years back and are always very competitive in basketball and volleyball as well. By competitive I mean championships.

My point is he's the only one who has ever won there and has for the most part done so for 17 years. You don't stay ANYWHERE for 17 years unless you've done something right. I was also trying to make the point of how he made the playoffs as a 4A school with basically 3A numbers. They were one of the smallest 4As in the state, and they held their own against Wylie for two straight seasons. Finally got over the hump and won the first playoff game in school history against Hallsville. Parents ready for a winner? What more do they really expect, as again, this isn't a program with a ton of history. You can bring the weak district aspect into plenty of football conversations, but NL nor anyone else decides what district it's in. The talent ebbs and flows, and if he's somehow lost his ability to coach after 17 years, then by all means - replace him. Just remember who helped jump the gun when it came to getting said facilities. The talent is too diluted in a city of 25,000 with three high schools and five others close to 20 minutes away. Felty can't do anything about kids who don't make grades. He can hover over their shoulder all day, but let's at least hold the kids accountable for something.

+1 on "Talent is too diluted". I support all RRV schools, but Paris is too small to have 3 schools (2 - 3a's and 1 - 2a). NL just hasn't had the male athletes to "dominate" in sports. Now the girls side is a different story. They win in all 3 major sports year after year. With that being said a lot of people feel that NL is due for a change on the boys side and it will only happen if someone from the outside is brought in. They can't keep promoting within and expect a change. ie...Dallas Cowboys.

The talent may not be there but I don't buy the demographics are not there.........at all.

You can win a state championship with an all-white or nearly all white team in the 2A, 3A, and 4A level........just look at Cisco, Argyle, and Aledo!!!

.... and Lake Travis and Southlake Carroll and Highland Park.....