How do you judge a QB in the NFL?

You are correct, but was Crayton's dropped touchdown pass his fault or Romo's?

You remember that pass right? the one that if Crayton catches it, the Cowboys win.

Nah, you probably don't remember it.

Romo threw an interception in Giants territory at the 23 to end the game, yes I remember that.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Denver Defense much like the Cowboys Defense think that they have an ace at quarterback, and don't have to play as hard. Even the Cowboys of the 70's and early 80's would jump out to a lead, coast, then make a comeback. Sometimes they were just so superior to other teams that they didn't have to. The Cowboys have been playing the same way, not just the last four years. We can blame the last two years somewhat on injuries to the defense, but some of the backups did play well. That didn't contribute to a Dallas Cowboys playoff run, and we haven't had a deep playoff run since 1996. That's how the Cowboys work now, they want to get the big stats, so Jerry will give them a huge contract, and then they're complacent. That's our Dallas Cowboys.

Dallas went to three NFC Championship games with Danny White, San Diego went to two AFC Championship games with Dan Fouts, and Miami went to 1 Super Bowl, and played in 3 AFC Championships with Marino at QB. Heck the Dolphins made the playoffs 10 times in Marino's 17 year career. Romo has been the starter for 8 years now, the same as Roger Staubach was the starter. We've been to the playoffs 3 times with Romo, with Roger it was 7-8 and 2-3 in the Super Bowl (Craig Morton was the quarterback in Super Bowl V), Danny believe it or not was 5 out of 5 years (1984 -Hogeboom started, 1986- wrist injury vs. the Giants played 6 games, 1987 only started 9 games, 1988 he played briefly in 2 games before a knee injury), Troy Aikman 8 playoff years out of 11 total 2 of those were rebuilding years.

Very interesting points. Let me see if I can retort.

What was the salary cap during Danny White's years as the Cowboys quarterback? How about Fouts? Marino even?

Wait, that probably wasn't fair of me. What was the salary cap during the years of Staubach?

I'm quite sure that Tony Romo would have LOVED to have been the quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys during the 1992-1995 years. Throwing to Michael Irvin, handing off to Emmitt Smith. Having at least four pro bowlers on offensive line as well as the defense that Aikman and Staubach got to enjoy.

Hmm, how did I do?

Romo threw an interception in Giants territory at the 23 to end the game, yes I remember that.

Actually, the int was thrown in the endzone to end the game. Again, had Crayton not dropped a pass that hit him in the hands, there wouldn't have been an interception in the endzone to end the game. Matter of fact, Crayton had two or three passes in his hands that he dropped. That loss fell solely on Crayton.

Sorry, but dems the facts.

The Denver Defense much like the Cowboys Defense think that they have an ace at quarterback, and don't have to play as hard. Even the Cowboys of the 70's and early 80's would jump out to a lead, coast, then make a comeback. Sometimes they were just so superior to other teams that they didn't have to. The Cowboys have been playing the same way, not just the last four years. We can blame the last two years somewhat on injuries to the defense, but some of the backups did play well. That didn't contribute to a Dallas Cowboys playoff run, and we haven't had a deep playoff run since 1996. That's how the Cowboys work now, they want to get the big stats, so Jerry will give them a huge contract, and then they're complacent. That's our Dallas Cowboys.

Dallas went to three NFC Championship games with Danny White, San Diego went to two AFC Championship games with Dan Fouts, and Miami went to 1 Super Bowl, and played in 3 AFC Championships with Marino at QB. Heck the Dolphins made the playoffs 10 times in Marino's 17 year career. Romo has been the starter for 8 years now, the same as Roger Staubach was the starter. We've been to the playoffs 3 times with Romo, with Roger it was 7-8 and 2-3 in the Super Bowl (Craig Morton was the quarterback in Super Bowl V), Danny believe it or not was 5 out of 5 years (1984 -Hogeboom started, 1986- wrist injury vs. the Giants played 6 games, 1987 only started 9 games, 1988 he played briefly in 2 games before a knee injury), Troy Aikman 8 playoff years out of 11 total 2 of those were rebuilding years.

Tom Landry did intentionally run plays that he knew would make the Cowboys work harder to win. He did this when things got too easy and he wanted to challenge the players.

Your opinion of Dallas playing for the stats is bogus. There will always be players that have better stats than others on any team. It's the nature of sports. What you see with Dallas is the same one's are having pretty good stats because they are far superior to their teammates. When the same players produce over and over, that says they are doing something right.

Okay in your defense you sound like you are saying that it is okay to have great stats as long as you win all these championships and make all these playoffs. Another bogus myth. NEWS FLASH! These are products of teamwork and better quality TEAM. Has it ever occured to you that how bad Dallas would be without Tony Romo or DeMarcus Ware?

I'm watching the NFL network of the 1993 Cowboys. Just watched where Aikman, who didn't have Emmitt Smith in the first two games look worse than Romo ever could.

In game two, Aikman throws a pick in the end zone to lose. So with Dallas going 0-2 in the first two weeks WITHOUT Emmitt, whose fault was the losses on?

There was also game 16 in the Meadowlands against the Giants. It was handoff Emmitt left, handoff Emmitt right, pass to Emmitt here, pass to Emmitt there. Separated shoulder? no problem, just keep feeding the ball to Emmitt until his shoulder falls off.

Face it, without Emmitt Smith, Dallas would have been stuck with Derrick Lassic and wouldn't have even sniffed the super bowl, much less the playoffs.

Now then, morale of the story? Give Tony Romo the kind of team that Aikman had with that offensive line and Emmitt Smith and he would have "almost" the same kind of success.

Rant over.

I'm watching the NFL network of the 1993 Cowboys. Just watched where Aikman, who didn't have Emmitt Smith in the first two games look worse than Romo ever could.

In game two, Aikman throws a pick in the end zone to lose. So with Dallas going 0-2 in the first two weeks WITHOUT Emmitt, whose fault was the losses on?

There was also game 16 in the Meadowlands against the Giants. It was handoff Emmitt left, handoff Emmitt right, pass to Emmitt here, pass to Emmitt there. Separated shoulder? no problem, just keep feeding the ball to Emmitt until his shoulder falls off.

Face it, without Emmitt Smith, Dallas would have been stuck with Derrick Lassic and wouldn't have even sniffed the super bowl, much less the playoffs.

Now then, morale of the story? Give Tony Romo the kind of team that Aikman had with that offensive line and Emmitt Smith and he would have "almost" the same kind of success.

Rant over.

I am Spacegolfer and I approve of this message. Now a word from our sponsors.......

I have been deleting programs from my DVR so I can keep recording some of these programs on NFL Network. Some I did not have. I really enjoy watching some of the old days.

I am Spacegolfer and I approve of this message. Now a word from our sponsors.......

I have been deleting programs from my DVR so I can keep recording some of these programs on NFL Network. Some I did not have. I really enjoy watching some of the old days.

Maybe you can dig back into the archives and find the last Cowboy's playoff victory ... oh darn ... that was before DVRs ... :P

KirtFalcon, on 03 Apr 2014 - 7:51 PM, said:

Maybe you can dig back into the archives and find the last Cowboy's playoff victory ... oh darn ... that was before DVRs ... :P

And without Emmitt Smith, there wouldn't have been any in the 90's as well. Funny, Dallas looked ordinary without Emmitt in the lineup.

There you go, bringing common sense into the equation again. You should be ashamed of yourself space.

Evidently there isn't any common sense at Valley Ranch or is it Frisco now, otherwise the Cowboys wouldn't be in such a major drought when it comes to playoff victories. As long as you two clowns keep verbally supporting this disaster, then it will be business as usual in Arlington. We've been through several quarterbacks and coaching changes, and none of that has worked. Romo is on the decline, it's time to face the facts and start a different era, but that's not happening with Jerry throwing it all away.

Evidently there isn't any common sense at Valley Ranch or is it Frisco now, otherwise the Cowboys wouldn't be in such a major drought when it comes to playoff victories. As long as you two clowns keep verbally supporting this disaster, then it will be business as usual in Arlington. We've been through several quarterbacks and coaching changes, and none of that has worked. Romo is on the decline, it's time to face the facts and start a different era, but that's not happening with Jerry throwing it all away.

No! The facts are Tony Romo is not on the decline. His numbers show nothing of the sort. Injuries happen to first year players as well. His stats are as good as ever.

Common sense is not the factor in not making playoffs. Performance, injuries and play calling have been the culprit. Supporting my team is what a FAN should do. Business as usual? Your kidding! Jerry Jones is always bringing in players, coaches and new ideas to improve the team. He has not control over some things such as injuries. Jerry needs to keep doing what he does.

DaveTV1, on 04 Apr 2014 - 7:35 PM, said:

Please show in "any" of my posts where I have ever "once" verbally supported this disaster? oh, you mean because I'm not going to allow myself to blame Tony Romo solely, I'm verbally supporting Jerry Jones and the disaster of this "team".

Sorry Dave, but my pointing out of the truth in no way means that I support what "Jerry" has done to this team.

If I need to spell it out any further then by all means, I can do that.

Please show in "any" of my posts where I have ever "once" verbally supported this disaster? oh, you mean because I'm not going to allow myself to blame Tony Romo solely, I'm verbally supporting Jerry Jones and the disaster of this "team".

Sorry Dave, but my pointing out of the truth in no way means that I support what "Jerry" has done to this team.

If I need to spell it out any further then by all means, I can do that.

+1 spacegolfer is the only poster that really defends Jerry The GM for the majority of what he does. Jerry has made some really good moves, but as a whole, below average at best

+1 spacegolfer is the only poster that really defends Jerry The GM for the majority of what he does. Jerry has made some really good moves, but as a whole, below average at best

I usually see the logic in why he makes a lot of his moves. I do not always agree with them but I see the reasons why. I just recognize that there are more than one way to make decisions and still be right. I most assuredly did not agree with firing Rob Ryan. I did like the Marinelli hiring afterwards. I did not agree with hiring Kiffen. Unless it was just a way of getting Marinelli on board. I do not like changing coaches every season. I feel you need stability there and tenure. I do like that he has stuck with Jason Garrett since I believe Jason Garrett will adapt better. He has been learning at a costly rate. Getting some of the Free-Agents signings is the same as well. Some I liked but others not so much. It is just a calculated guessing game with Free-Agents.

This is the closest Romo, Garrett, and Jerry Jones will get to a Championship Game : http://foxnewsinsider.com/2014/04/08/photo-bush-clinton-watch-uconn-kentucky-game-jerry-jones-box-romo-witten . It also proves what's been said in the political arena about the two party system.

So now Dallas knows how to get there and can do it because of association.

Jason Garrett hasn't adapted to anything. It is still the pass-pass-pass philosophy that hasn't worked. I can't point to anything he has done to advance this team. The fact he has gone 8-8 for 3 straight years and has the owner's "stamp of approval" is downright repulsive to me as a fan. There is no such thing as an ultimatum or line in the sand with this team.

But heh....IT'S A PROCESS !!

So now Dallas knows how to get there and can do it because of association.

We'll see, but I doubt it. We need three solid years of drafting to be Super Bowl contenders. As for quarterbacks I see a decline in that position for the next couple of years. The rising quarterbacks that I see are : 1. Andrew Luck, 2. Russell Wilson, 3. Colin Kaepernick (unless he's charged for sexual assault), 4. Nick Foles, 5. Cam Newton, 6. Andy Dalton, 7. Joe Flacco, 8. Johnny Manziel, 9. Blake Bortles and 10. A.J. McCarron. In the next 3-4 years I think the NFL will lose both Manning's, Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger, Rivers, Romo, Ryan, Stafford, Palmer, and possibly RG III, they're all on the decline because of age. There are many fill in's that are simply that with many teams, and I won't even mention them.

Jason Garrett hasn't adapted to anything. It is still the pass-pass-pass philosophy that hasn't worked. I can't point to anything he has done to advance this team. The fact he has gone 8-8 for 3 straight years and has the owner's "stamp of approval" is downright repulsive to me as a fan. There is no such thing as an ultimatum or line in the sand with this team.

But heh....IT'S A PROCESS !!

That's absurd to think that Jason Garrett has not adapted to anything. There is more to than just the pass-pass-pass philosophy idea you have to coaching. You are not on the inside so no you would not know what he delegates and makes changes to. Besides, his choices of coaches and players are the most evident changes for us to see.

It's not absurd at all. Clock management issues, the lip service about using the running game more, the same ole record. Your defense is that we are not on the inside so we don't know (but of course you do). And his choices of coaches & players. Please.....he already said he wasn't behind the moving of Ryan, but you are accepting that he was behind the hiring of others. Your blind defense of him & Jerry is what is absurd.

It's not absurd at all. Clock management issues, the lip service about using the running game more, the same ole record. Your defense is that we are not on the inside so we don't know (but of course you do). And his choices of coaches & players. Please.....he already said he wasn't behind the moving of Ryan, but you are accepting that he was behind the hiring of others. Your blind defense of him & Jerry is what is absurd.

Clock management issues happen with even the most seasoned coaches. Just recently we got to see it with Bill Belicheck. Yes there has been improvement in clock management with Jason Garrett. The running game issue is a problem that he has not got control of yet for whatever reason. It still does not mean effort is not there. Yes I said we are not on the inside so we do not truly know what is going on. But when you look at what is happening and from what players, coaches and owner is saying then the majority are not all telling lies. But if you want to feel better about yourself then go ahead and pick and choose what you believe. Yes I know he said he was not behind the removing of Rob Ryan. But yes he was behind the hiring of Linehan and other coaching moves. Here again if you feel better about saying it was all Jerry Jones then go ahead and believe that. Does not matter to me. You can pick and choose which one's you want to call a lie. But that will not change the fact of the truth. Even people with no knowledge of football can see the changes for the good that Jason Garrett has made over the last couple years. Some of us are not experts like you, Dave or Kirt.

LOL.....experts. I love the way you slant the truth. I've never blamed EVERYTHING on Jerry Jones (but let's go with the majority). Of course 99.9% of the football analysts agree with that, but I'm sure they are jaded to the truth like I am too. If you can clearly see the advancing good in 8-8, another 8-8, and yet another 8-8 season then you are definitely the man with the plan. Did you really say I can feel better about myself for not believing what the coaches & owner say about themselves ??? :)

Preach ON