Statistical Look at UT vs A&M

Hookemhorns88

With all of the debates on the status of the two programs and which way they are going I thought that it would be interesting to look at it with just wins and losses and let those be the projections.

I looked at the last four seasons with a 3 year projection.

Looked at the seasons since 1990 with a 3 year projection. The 90's were dominated by the Aggies and the 2000's by the Horns.

2010 and beyond is split.

Also looked at the wins by the decades beginning with the 1946 season (post-War) with a 3 decade projection.

All projections have the Longhorns to continue performing better than the Aggies except in the graph that includes total wins since 1946. The reason for the lone analysis with the Ags outperforming the Horns in the "overall" graph is because the Horns started out at a higher level and has maintained their consistency for a longer period of time.

Thoughts?

UT AM Wins Graphs 022014.pdf

Thoughts?

ATM on the rise, and UT has a big question mark. Aggies are definitely winning the recruiting war right now.

You are just jealous. Since your stats aren't skewed towards A&M, you are just butthurt and wish you were an aggie.

Back before Garrett Gilbert came to Texas I would've looked at recruiting stars and rivals/ESPN and thought ATM is killing Texas in recruiting but with the exception of a few players that will contribute right away I'll never look at stars and think one team has a better class than the other until a couples years in.

Very nice work. This proves exactly what Ive been saying for years on this site. What people fail to realize is the Aggies LITERALLY we an all male military like institution that put over half it's students into the service after graduation. Then in the late 60s they opened the university to women and all forms of students. They actually started recruiting real football players not just Cadet members who could play football. There is a difference. Since then the Aggies have trended higher and higher save a few down years from Franchione and early Sherman. Point is... The past doesn't matter as much because things are and have been changing. Texas isn't head and shoulders above the Aggies anymore just because they have more overall wins. Modern history has them fairly even.

Very nice work. This proves exactly what Ive been saying for years on this site. What people fail to realize is the Aggies LITERALLY we an all male military like institution that put over half it's students into the service after graduation. Then in the late 60s they opened the university to women and all forms of students. They actually started recruiting real football players not just Cadet members who could play football. There is a difference. Since then the Aggies have trended higher and higher save a few down years from Franchione and early Sherman. Point is... The past doesn't matter as much because things are and have been changing. Texas isn't head and shoulders above the Aggies anymore just because they have more overall wins. Modern history has them fairly even.

Good point. I am curious how the Army and Navy records looked from 46 to the 60's in comparison.

No pie charts Hookemhorns88? Just kidding that is very impressive work. I assume the projections are predicted by the past data trends? If so, I would not put a lot into them. The landscape is changing and there are several factors now that were not there before. Outside factors like ATM in the SEC and the emergence of Baylor and Oklahoma State as real competition for the same recruits. I do hope the projections are correct. Both schools would have success.

"Always" is a very long time. "Always" didn't work out so well for Merrill Lynch or Blockbuster. Or old football studs like Army and Fordham.

Thus, the need to "always" watch your back. "Always" keep improving. "Always" watch out for the hungrier opponent. "ALWAYS" SHUN COMPLACENCY AND THE STATUS QUO.

I think the powers that be in Austin aren't so smug as many here on the Smoaky Forum are. And for reason.....

Here is a look at the most commonly discussed teams for comparison. Of note is that all schools go through cycles some moreso than others. Texas has the flattest trend. UT and A&M never trend together while others do at times. Bama is the school to chase presently.

true they have always had good teams

& currently that is where lot kids wanta go but UT is 7-1 against Bama all time.

Service Academies vs AM ND.pdf

Here is a graph to support your argument about the upswing in the A&M program once recruiting "real" football players began in the '60's for the Aggies. The 60's is when the Aggies bottomed out and began their rise. It is interesting to note that "servicemen" at West Point were pretty good during the 20's, 30's and 40's when serving was also mandatory. Navy has never been a factor except in the early 60's (Staubach). I threw in ND for their historical significance to past powers.