2014 U.I.L. H.S. Football Information Refresher Course...

Smoaky

Football News and Information

University Interscholastic League

Updates from Dr. Mark Cousins, UIL Director of Athletics

• Renaming of playing weeks

Beginning with the 2014-15 school year, the playing weeks will be referred to as weeks 1-11 rather than week 0 through week 10.

• 5A & 6A sub varsity games during week 1

A proposal passed by the Legislative Council in October 2013 allows sub-varsity football teams in Conferences 5A and 6A to play on Wednesday during week 1 (previously termed zero-week) only if the varsity team plays on Thursday of that same week.

• 40 Second Clock

For the 2014 season, UIL Football will move from 2005 NCAA Football timing rules to current NCAA Football timing rules. This includes the transition from the 25 second play clock to utilizing the 40 second play clock. Additional information on this change will be released following the UIL Football Rules Committee Meeting in April.

• Spring Training

In preparation for the 2014-15 school year, only 5A and 6A schools (based on the alignment released in February, 2014) will be allowed to participate in spring training for football. Spring training for conferences 4A and below is not an option.

• Teams Advancing to the Playoffs, 2014-15

Conference 1A (six-man) Division I and II: the top two teams from each district advance to the playoffs. One state champion is crowned in Conference 1A Division I and one state champion is crowned in 1A Division II.

Conference 2A Division I and II: the top three teams from each district advance to the playoffs. The district winner will receive a bye in the first round of the football playoffs. One state champion is crowned in 2A Division I and one state champion is crowned in 2A Division II.

Conferences 3A and 4A, Division I and II: the top four teams from each district advance to the playoffs. One state champion is crowned in 3A and 4A Division I and one state champion is crowned in 3A and 4A Division II.

Conferences 5A and 6A: the top four teams from each district advance to the playoffs. The two schools with the largest enrollments automatically advance to the Division I bracket. The remaining two schools advance into the Division II bracket. There are two state champions per conference in Conference 5A and 6A.

Ranking 5A and 6A Schools: Enrollment figures used for the official reclassification and realignment procedure in October 2013 will be used to determine Division I and Division II representatives. (Exception: School enrollments affected by the opening of new high schools.)

• Football Season Dates 2014-15

5A and 6A Schools Without Spring Training, 4A, 3A, 2A, 1A 2014

First day of conditioning (No contact activities permitted.

No contact equipment except helmets may be worn.) August 4

First day of contact August 8

First scrimmage August 15

Second scrimmage August 20

Third scrimmage August 25

(Schools opting for a third scrimmage shall not play during week one)

5A and 6A Schools With Spring Training 2014

First day of conditioning August 11

First day of contact August 15

First scrimmage August 22

Second scrimmage August 27

(Schools opting for a second scrimmage shall not play during week one)

Possible Playing Dates 2014

Week One* August 28, 29, 30

Week Two September 4, 5, 6

Week Three September 11, 12, 13

Week Four September 18, 19, 20

Week Five September 25, 26, 27

Week Six October 2, 3, 4

Week Seven October 9, 10, 11

Week Eight October 16, 17, 18

Week Nine October 23, 24, 25

Week Ten Oct. 30, 31, Nov. 1

Week Eleven November 6, 7, 8

*Sub-varsity football teams in 5A & 6A can play on Wednesday during Week 1 only if the varsity team plays on Thursday of that same week.

District Certification 2014

Schools have 11 weeks to play a maximum of 10 games November 8

Playoff Dates 2014

Week 1 November 13, 14, 15

Week 2 November 20, 21, 22

Week 3 November 27, 28, 29

Week 4 December 4, 5, 6

Week 5 (2A-6A) December 11, 12, 13

State Championship Dates 2014

1A Div. I & II December 13

2A-6A Div. I & II December 18, 19, 20