What if Jones Leaves PG, and other PG concerns.

HawkEye

Moving out of the other topic where this idea bloomed.

If Criag is offered the AD job at North Lamar, what could PG do to retain him? Would they be able to?

Such is a career move, but I don't see Pleasant Grove surplanting KD with him to get him to stay.

Football is usually the premier sport in most schools' athletic program, but by East Texas popularity and attendance.

In reality, there are many other programs, and they are within their own realm succesful at PG.

Kevin has a good program, just down a few years in Football.

I would say overall, the Sports program, having to share athletes, is doing just fine.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With regard to Football, and its populartiy and support:

If you go to a PG football game, you can pay for General admission, and then sit in a really good seat in the reserved section.

A LOT of seats go unused for a LOT of the games. So, they make their season ticket sales, but people don't bother to go to the games.

Those that do can be divided into categories.

1. Players family : Mom and Dad will always be there for their kid. As it should be.They arrive early, and stay until the end.
  2. Band and Showstopper family. Alway there for their kids, as they should be. They, however, and more so in losing years, arrive around the middle to end of the fist quarter, and then leave after the 2nd half kickoff. Usually easy to spot, because they are busy visiting, and not watching the game.
  3. Friends of the first two groups. They show up and support their friends' kids. Prone to later arrival, and leaving early if not playing.
  4. Fair weather fans: They show up, visit with all the other friends, and dutifully watch the game. There is a lack of Fan participation, just ask the Cheerleaders. They only yell at the most obvious times, but instead of being involved and cheering for the team, they sit back, expecing to be entertained. They are too busy talking with their friends, or nowadays, on their smartphones doing something else. And no, I look over your shoulder, you are not all tweeting scoring updates.
  5. The Sunday QB. Spends most of the game questioning the play calling, and telling everyone around him what he would have done. I usually move.
  6. The student section: an ever diminishing group, usually now no more than a few rows of solid bleacher creatures, in their earned place of seniority down front, but way less than when the team was winning more.
  7. The rug rats: those kids that roam the concourse, oblivious to the game, becuse they are busy playing plastic football in the crowd between the seats and the concessions, knocking into all they tweenagers who are "talking" while they show up at the game for social obligations. which don't include actually WATCHING the game. (Heaven forbid) The only time you see the rug rats in the stands, is when they come block your view, or not saying excuse me as they pass you for the umpteenth time to get money from Mom and Dad.
  8. The season ticket holder: bought some of the best seats, and can afford to keep paying for them, but never shows up. OK, maybe they show up for homecoming, an one more if the weather is good, and it's a game we won't get stomped in. Don't believe me? Take a picture of the crowd before halftime, when most seats are or should be filled. I look around and see the same empty seats every game.

The problem appears to be that the public views it as a social event, and not a sporting event. I have seen the same phenomenon, at pro events, like Dallas Stars games, so it is not just a PG thing. It's an attitude of support.

Are you there to support the team, or to be seen and entertained?

Dismount SoapBox.

Coach Jones IS and HAS ALWAYS BEEN big in both football and baseball....until asked to not coach football this past year. There in turn sets up the "looking for another job" scenario. Has he been offered other jobs in the past? I'm sure, look at the resume'. In his profession, if you don't like what's going on, you can always go find another job. Maybe that was said, maybe it wasn't.....good luck to both PG and Coach Jones on whatever decision is made.

You forgot the cocktail group in your lust of PG fans.

With regard to Football, and its populartiy and support:

If you go to a PG football game, you can pay for General admission, and then sit in a really good seat in the reserved section.

A LOT of seats go unused for a LOT of the games. So, they make their season ticket sales, but people don't bother to go to the games.

Those that do can be divided into categories.

• Players family : Mom and Dad will always be there for their kid. As it should be.They arrive early, and stay until the end.
  • Band and Showstopper family. Alway there for their kids, as they should be. They, however, and more so in losing years, arrive around the middle to end of the fist quarter, and then leave after the 2nd half kickoff. Usually easy to spot, because they are busy visiting, and not watching the game.
  • Friends of the first two groups. They show up and support their friends' kids. Prone to later arrival, and leaving early if not playing.
  • Fair weather fans: They show up, visit with all the other friends, and dutifully watch the game. There is a lack of Fan participation, just ask the Cheerleaders. They only yell at the most obvious times, but instead of being involved and cheering for the team, they sit back, expecing to be entertained. They are too busy talking with their friends, or nowadays, on their smartphones doing something else. And no, I look over your shoulder, you are not all tweeting scoring updates.
  • The Sunday QB. Spends most of the game questioning the play calling, and telling everyone around him what he would have done. I usually move.
  • The student section: an ever diminishing group, usually now no more than a few rows of solid bleacher creatures, in their earned place of seniority down front, but way less than when the team was winning more.
  • The rug rats: those kids that roam the concourse, oblivious to the game, becuse they are busy playing plastic football in the crowd between the seats and the concessions, knocking into all they tweenagers who are "talking" while they show up at the game for social obligations. which don't include actually WATCHING the game. (Heaven forbid) The only time you see the rug rats in the stands, is when they come block your view, or not saying excuse me as they pass you for the umpteenth time to get money from Mom and Dad.
  • The season ticket holder: bought some of the best seats, and can afford to keep paying for them, but never shows up. OK, maybe they show up for homecoming, an one more if the weather is good, and it's a game we won't get stomped in. Don't believe me? Take a picture of the crowd before halftime, when most seats are or should be filled. I look around and see the same empty seats every game.
The problem appears to be that the public views it as a social event, and not a sporting event. I have seen the same phenomenon, at pro events, like Dallas Stars games, so it is not just a PG thing. It's an attitude of support.

Are you there to support the team, or to be seen and entertained?

Dismount SoapBox.

Don't bother wasting you're time looking for a replacement, he is not leaving. Told my son yesterday that he is staying!

I for one hope this is true. PG has an outstanding baseball program in a baseball crazy town.

I hope North Lamar will soon announce the new coach. This will help both PG and North Lamar supporters.

Why did he not coach football this year? Seems odd for someone trying to get an AD/Head football job. Why did they ask him not to coach?? I know some head baseball coaches don't coach football or coach thr lower level teams. But if he wants to be a head football coach that is a strange move by the PG administration. Did someone feel threatened by him being on the football staff? I don't know anything about PG football, that's why I'm curious. Most head football coaches would love to get a head baseball coach that loves football that much. As opposed to the ones who are just drawing a pay check until baseball starts.

Good to hear he is staying, if true.

I don't know why he didn't Coach football, only heard rumor he was asked not to, or a nice way of saying you aren't Defensive Coach anymore.

Why, I am not sure. That is speculation. I won't even offer an opinion, even though I have one. That is how bad scoop starts.

I do know it allows him to be more focused on Baseball, and as a single Dad, he is busy enough during baseball. With help from some good friends, he manages, but I am sure he enjoys time with his boys more now. That can never be a bad thing.

You forgot the cocktail group in your lust of PG fans.

That a Freudian slip? Lust for the GLM's?

Those are a two group bunch. Those that keep it in the parking lot, or before, and those that flask it.

They are not hard to spot, pretty easy to smell, er, I mean tell!

lol at blitzem's statement,"As opposed to the ones who are just drawing a pay check until baseball starts" Sorry to tell you there are more only football coaches drawing a so called paycheck during basketball and baseball than coaches drawing a paycheck during football.

I'm not saying they're aren't. But it doesn't change the fact that there are baseball coaches doing the same thing during football season (and basketball and soccer coaches , etc.). And the point I was making is that you would think a head football coach would want to keep a head baseball coach on his football staff that was passionate enough about football to be applying for head football jobs. Do you not agree with that?

I'm not saying they're aren't. But it doesn't change the fact that there are baseball coaches doing the same thing during football season (and basketball and soccer coaches , etc.). And the point I was making is that you would think a head football coach would want to keep a head baseball coach on his football staff that was passionate enough about football to be applying for head football jobs. Do you not agree with that?

How intimidating would it be to coach with a 6 times straight to Austin coach who has two state championship rings if your sport isn't doing great. That's not a slam on anyone, but you better be darn comfortable in your own skin.

I wouldn't be intimidated...we're talking about a different sport. As the AD you should be happy your other programs are having success. Now if he felt his job was in jeopardy, maybe so. Don't know enough about the situation. But if a head coach isn't confidant enough in his own abilities that he needs to get rid of anyone successful around him, he won't last long! What was his position? Was he a coordinator?

Before you start saying Jones should be the AD at Lamar or PG or anywhere. Go look at how many baseball coaches he has had in his tenure at PG. I think in the last 10 years he has had like 10. Ask yourself why would asst leave if they were having all that success? Maybe they got tired of being told they can't mow straight enough to be good at anything. Of they don't know how to rake dirt well enough to satisfy the head coach. Or they don't know how to draw a four correctly. Or if they were coaching a kid and were told to shut up because they weren't the head coach. I don't know a lot but would you really want that ib an AD? Coaching 15 kids in baseball by yourself is a lot easier that coaching 35 football players by yourself.

I'll agree with part of that. You can't do it all on your own in football. Much easier to do in baseball. As far as how many assistants he's had and being nit picky, I don't know. Sounds like you have some first hand knowledge of that.

Before you start saying Jones should be the AD at Lamar or PG or anywhere. Go look at how many baseball coaches he has had in his tenure at PG. I think in the last 10 years he has had like 10. Ask yourself why would asst leave if they were having all that success? Maybe they got tired of being told they can't mow straight enough to be good at anything. Of they don't know how to rake dirt well enough to satisfy the head coach. Or they don't know how to draw a four correctly. Or if they were coaching a kid and were told to shut up because they weren't the head coach. I don't know a lot but would you really want that ib an AD? Coaching 15 kids in baseball by yourself is a lot easier that coaching 35 football players by yourself.

The current AD wants nothing but success for all his other programs. I think the point was already brought up bout how successful the other programs at PG have been. Now football hasn't been good in the last few seasons, but see how many of those kids playing baseball are straight baseball amd are encouraged to be straight baseball by parents who think that is the only way to get to college or be drafted. With concussions and all the bad press that football gets I bet this will be more so at other schools too. But you can't make a kid play football and go through two a days in the heat in august. Kids have gotten lazy, and baseball can be very appealing to a kid it's in the spring when it's not hot there is very little contact. And you can stand in a position and never have to move around that much. I do agree with you about Kevin Davis being a great man.

The point was if the current AD was comfortable in his own skin. What has he done about Jones during his tenure. Not saying Jones is innocent either. Some guys just aren't cut out to be in charge of other grown men. I know, I know he's a GREAT man, though.

You guys think that KD was/is paranoid or intimidated kill me. These two guys have coached together since KD came here in '04. Jones was already here when KD got the AD job. I for one, think that KD is quite comfortable in his own skin. The reason(s) Jones was not asked to coach Fball this year are nobodys business but the people involved. Coach Jones has done a fabulous job in directing the baseball hawks to the state tournament many times over. There is no doubt about that. But; at what cost? Has sports specialization led to the drop off in football? Are all the coaches promoting all sports? Or are they promoting only the sport(s) that are important to them? These are things that we do not know nor, are we supposed to. We can speculate all we want but; these are things that have been (and should have been) primarily kept in house. PG's athletic department is in fine shape. I look forward to seeing the baseball hawks go deep in the playoffs & I also look forward to improvement in the football program as well.

HNOD