District 22-A

trueblue82

I am a little late to this discussion, but I couldn't help notice a couple of schools getting thrown under the bus, especially Martinsville. Small schools go up and down in talent and numbers. I would be willing to bet Beckville would have a better chance of scoring 20 runs against Martinsville's softball team than scoring 20 points against Martinsville's basketball team last year. So let's not dislocate our shoulders patting ourselves on the back when Martinsville could whip Beckville's tail in hoops. Some schools are stronger in some sports than others, even from year to year.

And 2 or 3 girls that used to go to Martinsville are now starting for Garrison's state-caliber softball team. They could have made a small difference......

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a little late to this discussion, but I couldn't help notice a couple of schools getting thrown under the bus, especially Martinsville. Small schools go up and down in talent and numbers. I would be willing to bet Beckville would have a better chance of scoring 20 runs against Martinsville's softball team than scoring 20 points against Martinsville's basketball team last year. So let's not dislocate our shoulders patting ourselves on the back when Martinsville could whip Beckville's tail in hoops. Some schools are stronger in some sports than others, even from year to year.

And 2 or 3 girls that used to go to Martinsville are now starting for Garrison's state-caliber softball team. They could have made a small difference......

I didn't know about Martinsville girls going to Garrison. You are right, they could have made a huge difference.

I guess the post where Martinsville was "thrown under the bus" was deleted, I couldn't find it...No patting ourselves on the back, I'm sure you could go to the basketball thread and find out how / if Martinsville and Beckville played and what the outcome was.

I am sure the schools in West Texas and the Panhandle would get a chuckle out of East Texans complaining about a 75-mile drive to a game!

And t-dub, you are right. After re-reading the thread, I guess I read a little into the posts.

Beckville over Colmesneil 13-0

I wonder how many single game playoffs Beckville will see. As deep as their pitching is, I think the best shot at beating them is in a 1 game deal. Hope you catch them on a off night. Does the bracket line up for a Beckville/ Alto Region 3 final? That would be a good one.

I'm not sure where or when Harleton became an afterthought in this tournament. If you compare offense, defense, and battery of the remaining teams in our region, Harleton matches up extremely well with everyone. From what I've seen/heard, Beckville and Harleton are still the teams to beat in this region, simply because of depth.

As far as flying under the radar, I can assure you that Beckville and Harleton have had each other in their sights since June of last year. Hopefully, they'll both take care of business over the weekend vs Slocum and Cushing...