Stidham commits....

I agree. Kliff will do well grooming this kid into that system.

I wonder if he redshirts, or will he beat out Webb for the position? Very few true freshman have much success, but Tech doesn't really have anyone on the roster after Webb.

Are Tech fans worried he'll choose MLB? Heard he tossed 16Ks in a no hitter the other night!

If he's a high draft pick it will be tough to pass up the cash. With his Dad being a former player don't look for him making it to Lubbock.

I watched Patrick pitch last night. He wouldn't even do well at the college level the way he was pitching. He was quite unimpressive (my son was on the Tech team and is a baseball coach so I have seen a lot of pitching). He could throw at 92-93 mph (the scout with a radar gun was right in front of me), but Lindale was hitting his 92-93 mph fastball. So no, not too worried about him going MLB this year. Have heard for over a year that he is not the pitcher his father was. And pair that with the fact that his parents really want him to get a college education first, I think he will be at Tech in the fall.

I watched Patrick pitch last night. He wouldn't even do well at the college level the way he was pitching. He was quite unimpressive (my son was on the Tech team and is a baseball coach so I have seen a lot of pitching). He could throw at 92-93 mph (the scout with a radar gun was right in front of me), but Lindale was hitting his 92-93 mph fastball. So no, not too worried about him going MLB this year. Have heard for over a year that he is not the pitcher his father was. And pair that with the fact that his parents really want him to get a college education first, I think he will be at Tech in the fall.

May be true but the MLB drafts on potential moreso than are you ready now.

May be true but the MLB drafts on potential moreso than are you ready now.

That's true. Is he strictly a pitching prospect or is there potential he plays other positions? Does he plan on playing baseball at tech?

Being a righty doesn't help any either with those speeds. From what I gather here his ball doesn't move much?

It does not. His fastball is straight as an arrow and his change up, while pretty doesn't have a lot of movement on it. just not terribly impressive. We had a pitcher here about 8 years ago, Carson Middleton, who threw in the upper 90's and had some amazing movement on his pitches. I remember being really wowed by his pitching. He was drafted in like the 40th round and never played above the college level (he played at A&M) because of laziness and extra curricular activities. I believe Patrick has the work ethic, just that he is better in football (and maybe even basketball) than he is in baseball.

• 1 month later...