What happened to the prelim/ finals high school track meets?

feartheleopard

are you being sarcastic? I was just asking a simple question. Maybe you can tell me why they moved to the school week instead of on Saturdays.

Sarcastic? Come on man. Just think about it.

Track meets that have prelims and finals take ALL day. Coaches(most) don't wanna be at a track meet all day.

That's why your seeing more and more during the week.

Not to mention getting kids to come on Saturdays to run prelims in the am and finals in the evening. Kids don't want to waste a whole saturday, so the don't run track. Hence week night track meets. Kids will go to those so more participation.

Track meets that have prelims and finals take ALL day. Coaches(most) don't wanna be at a track meet all day.

thanks for your honest answer. I heard that the coaches where wanting the weekends off after football season. I am glad i live close to atlanta tx . They take great pride in their traditional prelim/finals track meets. It is the best meet in east Texas. Thanks again

You guys are right about why there are so few Saturday meets now. Also, powerlifting has grown in popularity and coaches have struggled sharing athletes for both. Main reasons are weekends off for coaches and participation of kids. Sign of the times I guess but I also prefer the traditional Saturday meets. It prepares your athletes for district and regionals.

I think in Dallas at some of the more bigger meets they run prelims. I haven't seen a "real track meet" since I was running...

Was just looking at results from Lancaster's Meet of Champions.

No prelims.

Fast meet too. 4x1 had SIX teams run in the 41s. SIX.. Before spring break. Rolling.

Fortunate for the fans, all six were in same heat.

To me, it is the same amount of time for a student athlete to be gone from school (all day). The Prelims may take a minute to run, depending on how many teams, but finals will go super fast cause you only have to running one race. I just think you are cheating the athletes when you do this. The two fastest athlete may be in different heats and never run against each other. Come on Coaches, Lets step up!!!!

Was just looking at results from Lancaster's Meet of Champions.

No prelims.

Fast meet too. 4x1 had SIX teams run in the 41s. SIX.. Before spring break. Rolling.

Fortunate for the fans, all six were in same heat.

wonder if they will run prelims at runnin' Rabbs meet this saturday...?

Not only have kids become more lazy through the years so have the coaches. God forbid they go out on a Saturday and coach their kids. When I first started coaching we always had all day meets on Saturday. We would always go to a meet during Spring Break too, usually at Atlanta. I asked one of my track kids on Friday after our meet if she wanted me to take her to a meet during Spring Break, and she let me know pretty quickly, no way! She is an exceptional hurdler that would have competed well at Atlanta.

It's not just a track issue. It applies to extracurricular activities in general. If kids can't get an e-day out of it, they're not interested. They're just like adults in that regard. Ever wondered why most educational conferences are held during the school year? It makes sense to hold them during summer when school's out.

Now back to the track issue specifically. The problem is not the extra time to run prelims; it's the conflict and time constraints with those kids also participating in field events. The weekday/night track meet is a compromise that allows students (and their coaches) to attend some classes before boarding the buses. I, for one, miss the Saturday meets, but it seems to be a thing of the past as far as this region goes.

Thursday meets do not start until 3:00 at least for the most part. My kids only miss one period of instruction at the most plus our athletic period to get to meets. Some of y'all must be traveling a bunch to have to get subs. I don't need a sub for the 5 core classes I teach until the District Meet and after. As I stated before, things are different in smaller schools. We have to share athletes with powerlifting, baseball, and softball. We generally don't have full teams until district. It is not about lazy kids or coaches it is about being practical in whatever situation you are in. There are very, very few small school meets held on Saturday (Hawkins is the only one that comes to mind in East Texas). Not to mention, I teach all day, have coached 5 sports this year, and would like to have some time away from school kids. Not complaining, I love what I do. Just stating facts that some may not have considered. I dare say I am not alone.

I will also add that we go to school more days now than ever. I don't really worry about the kids missing or the coaches missing.... It is just a pain in the neck to cover classes and have order and structure when all the sports and activities are rolling in the spring. If you are not in admin then you don't realize "all" that goes on. For "JVcoach" just come to the principalship and check it out. Easiest job in town. Don't do a darn thing all day but sit in my office and look for things to fuss about. Lol...

I will also add that we go to school more days now than ever. I don't really worry about the kids missing or the coaches missing.... It is just a pain in the neck to cover classes and have order and structure when all the sports and activities are rolling in the spring. If you are not in admin then you don't realize "all" that goes on. For "JVcoach" just come to the principalship and check it out. Easiest job in town. Don't do a darn thing all day but sit in my office and look for things to fuss about. Lol...

:)

Great topic so let me give my reason. The reason is football coaches not track coaches want Thursday track meets. Football coaches will have those same kids that won't show up for a Saturday track meet show up for 5 Saturdays to play 7 on 7 that will last all day. Thursday vs Saturday track meets over a 6 week period is about 20 more practice days. Thursday meets you practice 2 1/2 days a week. Saturday track meets you practice 4 1/2 day.

Ask your head football coach would he rather practice 2 1/2 day or 4 1/2 days to prepare for a football game. Football coaches that care nothing about track are done at district so they can get to offseason football but we say we r here for the kids. I know basketball coaches that practice on Saturday after a friday night basketball and in a small school those r the same kids that play football, baseball and run track.

Thursday track meet starts at 3:30 and has to end at 10. It's cold as heck in February and early March, the sun is down before the 4x1 is run( cold), now I'm an hour or two away from school and I may get back at around 11pm or midnight. I have to drive the bus and I've been up for 18 hours and I'm tired as heck with your child on this bus I'm driving. Now when you get home around 1am on a school night and have be back at work for 7:30 tired as heck, what r u teaching my child on a Friday or are u watching a movie?