UIL Announces New Soccer Alignment

Parisian

There will still be some disparity in enrollment numbers in the new Class 4A, since schools smaller than 4A (like Waskom) will have to opt up in order to play the sport. What I think will happen now is that smaller schools will look into the feasibility of adding the sport. It's a relatively cheap activity that uses a facility (football stadium) during a time when it's vacant. Just in the new Region 2-4A alone, I count these new soccer startups:

• Nevada Community
  • Sunnyvale
  • Hughes Springs (girls)
  • Brownsboro
  • Gladewater
  • Tatum
  • Waskom (boys)

There are 8 empty districts and 7 districts with 4 or fewer teams, but I think you'll see them start filling out real soon. I love football (the American variety) and have serious issues with international futbol's rules and the subjective enforcement of those rules, but the recent concussion concerns have to be guiding kids into other activities. For the moment, at least, there is legitimate opportunity for smaller schools in Region 2 (under 1,000 enrollment) to make a serious run to the state tournament in a sport that can be built from scratch with the right guidance.

When I was looking at the districts in the newly-added 4A soccer conference, I noticed something interesting in district 1. There are only three teams in this district, which I found odd since 4 teams are supposed to make the playoffs. So I decided to find out why there was such a small number of teams in the district, and I soon found out; the noticeable lack of 4A soccer teams in the area and the large distances between these schools. First, let's look at the three teams. Borger High is in the panhandle region of Texas, and Pampa High is also in this region, 29 miles away. And then there's the third school: San Elizaro, in Far West Texas near El Paso. This school is nearly 500 miles away from its two district rivals. That's a long way for a district game. What do you all think about this?

Those schools need to apply to play up in the 5A districts for obvious reasons.

When I was looking at the districts in the newly-added 4A soccer conference, I noticed something interesting in district 1. There are only three teams in this district, which I found odd since 4 teams are supposed to make the playoffs. So I decided to find out why there was such a small number of teams in the district, and I soon found out; the noticeable lack of 4A soccer teams in the area and the large distances between these schools. First, let's look at the three teams. Borger High is in the panhandle region of Texas, and Pampa High is also in this region, 29 miles away. And then there's the third school: San Elizaro, in Far West Texas near El Paso. This school is nearly 500 miles away from its two district rivals. That's a long way for a district game. What do you all think about this?

No need to look all the way out in west Texas, the district with Mabank, Chapel Hill, Athens, Brownsboro, and Gladewater will more than likely only have 3 teams in it.......I highly doubt Gladewater or Brownsboro will have teams. This has been done before where UIL puts schools in soccer districts that don't have programs. This happened a couple of years ago when the UIL said Van would be playing soccer in the Whitehouse, JT, Athens, Lindale, CH, and Mabank district. I guess we will see, I just don't see it happening, but I could be wrong.

Can't answer for the Gladewater question, but I do know that lots of schools choose to participate on a club level as a prelude to officially joining a UIL district.

The problem with sparse districts should be a temporary one (except maybe for West Texas). I'll be surprised if this sport doesn't grow exponentially now that there's a more level playing field. Plus, I could see lots of private schools being allowed to join, too. There's already one whole district in Region 1 that's almost entirely private schools.

Gladewater starts this year with a boys and girls program. Brownsboro backed out the last minute but my money is on them starting by next realignment. The districts will fill up in time. Same way whenever they start a new conference in a sport.

Can't answer for the Gladewater question, but I do know that lots of schools choose to participate on a club level as a prelude to officially joining a UIL district.

The problem with sparse districts should be a temporary one (except maybe for West Texas). I'll be surprised if this sport doesn't grow exponentially now that there's a more level playing field. Plus, I could see lots of private schools being allowed to join, too. There's already one whole district in Region 1 that's almost entirely private schools.

The inequality of the playing field just shifted. The new 4A are now the giants and the 3A are now the ones that can ask for a 3A soccer division due to the size differentials. I agree I expect to see more schools to pick up the sport. The issue facing the sport will be the lack of officials covering the games.

The inequality of the playing field just shifted. The new 4A are now the giants and the 3A are now the ones that can ask for a 3A soccer division due to the size differentials. I agree I expect to see more schools to pick up the sport. The issue facing the sport will be the lack of officials covering the games.

Officiating is a serious issue. The pay can't be worth the abuse they receive. I don't see many hang around from year to year.

• 2 weeks later...