Best conceal carry choices

partsman66

I have a p250 .45 that I kinda carry now. Hows recoil on the .357 ?

Recoil isn't bad at all, but the ammo isn't as easy to find. I replaced the grips with rubber Pachmar grips and it made a huge difference in feel and accuracy.

• 6 months later...

Just re-read this thread, and my. 02 on the. 357 sig caliber is that it's a bad choice. Recoil IS high due to the hot load, which reduces target re-aquisition. Ammo is also not readily available. It's just a bad all around choice. Not enough pros, if any. Better off buying a. 40 cal or a 9mm.

Off duty I carry a Sig P232. It's a very nice shooting .380 and I shoot it just as accurately as I do my full size S&W 4006 duty-carry sidearm.

350px-Sig232sl.jpg

Sigs are just all around good guns.

Just re-read this thread, and my. 02 on the. 357 sig caliber is that it's a bad choice. Recoil IS high due to the hot load, which reduces target re-aquisition. Ammo is also not readily available. It's just a bad all around choice. Not enough pros, if any. Better off buying a. 40 cal or a 9mm.

Sigs are just all around good guns.

I've got a Sig P239 chambered for the .357 sig caliber. It's compact, but heavy enough to handle this round. It's heavier than the P232. The recoil is not that bad, especially with the rubber grips I added that made a huge difference. I also have tons of ammo I stockpiled over the past several years. I would agree, it's probably not a good choice in a lighter handgun with the original hard grips, especially for someone who doesn't shoot very much. I am very comfortable with mine. I think it has more to do with the person using it than it does with the caliber.

20111011_76155fe50f5eb8573fddVsKWSx1zJM8

The Glock is a fine weapon, but I hate the way it sits in my hand. I own one, but I don't carry it because it doesn't sit right. With my normal hand position, the gun has an upward tilt to it that affects my ability to bring back down to target. I know all I need to do is practice, practice, practice with it, but I'm so comfortable with my S&W that I can't bring myself to commit to it. I'm sacrificing the extra magazine capacity of the Glock, but until I'm as accurate with it as I feel I need to be, it's going to be a hard sale for me.

I've got a Sig P239 chambered for the .357 sig caliber. It's compact, but heavy enough to handle this round. It's heavier than the P232. The recoil is not that bad, especially with the rubber grips I added that made a huge difference. I also have tons of ammo I stockpiled over the past several years. I would agree, it's probably not a good choice in a lighter handgun with the original hard grips, especially for someone who doesn't shoot very much. I am very comfortable with mine. I think it has more to do with the person using it than it does with the caliber.

20111011_76155fe50f5eb8573fddVsKWSx1zJM8

It's noticeably louder, more muzzle flip, more recoil, and it makes the same size hole as a 9mm. Explain to me what the benefit of a 357 sig? Not to mention ammo is harder to find and more expensive, and will become increasingly more the case due to this caliber not catching on.

The Glock is a fine weapon, but I hate the way it sits in my hand. I own one, but I don't carry it because it doesn't sit right. With my normal hand position, the gun has an upward tilt to it that affects my ability to bring back down to target. I know all I need to do is practice, practice, practice with it, but I'm so comfortable with my S&W that I can't bring myself to commit to it. I'm sacrificing the extra magazine capacity of the Glock, but until I'm as accurate with it as I feel I need to be, it's going to be a hard sale for me.

Hogue slip on, problem solved.

It's noticeably louder, more muzzle flip, more recoil, and it makes the same size hole as a 9mm. Explain to me what the benefit of a 357 sig? Not to mention ammo is harder to find and more expensive, and will become increasingly more the case due to this caliber not catching on.

Hogue slip on, problem solved.

It has roughly the same balistics as the 357 mag, thus more stopping power than a 9mm. The size of the entry hole may be the same, but I assure you the size of the exit hole and surrounding damage is not the same. I could care less about the difference in noise level as I wear hearing protection when practicing. I have fairly large hands and with the rubber grips recoil and muzzle "flip" is not an issue. I have over 800 rounds of ammo on hand and know of several sources if I need more. I also have a couple of 9mm semi autos but I still like the 357 sig for concealed carry. It's not for everybody especially if you are concerned about ammo prices and are uncomfortable with the caliber. Like I said before it has more to do with the person than the caliber in most cases.

Well I'm arguing the point based on general application. Quite a few cons and very little upside if you ask me. A little more velocity is about all there is. The caliber clearly hasn't caught on and will likely go the way of the 10mm and be darn near impossible to buy over the counter ammo for. At least you can always swap barrels and shoot. 40 's.

Does that change the upward angle of the upper frame in its relation to the grip? I may look into trying that.

Not sure. I have only ever owned one Glock (probably 10 yrs old at least) and it's a model 23. 40 cal. It had a straight, hard grip so a rubberized hogue slip on was the first thing I did to it. . I never had an issue with the grip/barrel angle. I shoot this gun better than any other handgun I own.

I carry a .40 cal. Springfield. I have only had it a little while, but am pleased with it. When I went to get my CHL, there was a guy there with a .40 cal Taurus, & he was shooting the tightest groups of anyone there. Turns out he's a Prison guard down at Palestine & has to qualify monthly! He said his Taurus has never jammed in all the time he has had it. I've heard other folks say Taurus Autos were very good guns for the money.

• 6 months later...