• Paris in 3
    • PG in 3
    • PG in 2
  2. 2. North Lamar or Pittsburg

• North Lamar in 2
    • North Lamar in 3
    • Pittsburg in 3
    • Pittsburg in 2

It's final: North Lamar 5, Pittsburg 4, in 9 innings. NL and PG have taken 1-0 leads in their regional quarterfinals. Scene shifts to Lamar County for Game 2 Friday at NL's Pos Long Field and PJC's Hub Hollis Field. First pitch 7:30 for both games.

Guest 4to3

Great game last nite between Pitt-NL. I thought Pitt was going to clinch it in the 7th. Is Gibbons N Lamar's ace?

Great game last nite between Pitt-NL. I thought Pitt was going to clinch it in the 7th. Is Gibbons N Lamar's ace?

Absolutely. Dusenberry (who will probably start tonight) had good district run but he's not in Gibbons' league and Jones (last night's reliever) pitched a good game 3 vs. Spring Hill, but he's their No. 3 at best. NL needed to win last night. Colbert should be able to even the series tonight for Pitt which would make for a pitching donnybrook Saturday.

Guest 4to3

I won't make it tonite but will if there is a game 3. Going to catch MP-Hallsville. Will you please keep us posted?

Sorry, but I won't have time to post regularly tonight (thumbs aren't fast enough on a phone). I'll be at Paris-PG. You can follow the Paris News on twitter and they'll post inning-by-inning of both games: http://twitter.com/theparisnews

Also, Paris radio stations will probably carry both games at:

Texarkana will be carrying the PG feed of Paris-PG through ESPN, 94.1-FM, internet stream at ESPNTexarkana.com

I'm not aware of any Pittsburg station which might be broadcasting.

Hope that helps.

Well, that wasn't much fun to find your team out of it before you see your first pitch at the plate. Two-base error on a fly ball to open the game really set the tone for the night. Everything just snowballed from there. Still, can't be too disappointed in a regional quarters berth for a team that wasn't picked to get out of district.

PG has made a world of improvement from early in district with their overall hitting approach and infield defense, but I don't know what to make of their pitching. It looks vulnerable.

The pitching appears to be around the same as last year, not the quality of the Championship years of 2010 and 2012.

Still, last year, as worried as I was about that very thing, they made it to the finals.

When PG plays at the level they are capable of, in every facet, they are tough to beat. The relative weakness of pitching was only revealed against the great hitting of LaGrange.

Hawks tend to get sharper as the post season goes on, so I look forward to the next round, it Will be the toughest challenge yet.

They have a big challenge ahead getting past Argyle, but I wouldn't put anything past them. The (mostly sophomore) infield was impressive against Paris. Bayless has to rediscover his fastball and Jeans needs a wide strike zone, but if those two things happen this week the state tournament streak still has a chance of surviving. Think they're a year away of making a serious state championship run, but like I said before, Jones has done maybe his best coaching this year considering all the youth and distractions of PG and NL AD postings. They've come a long way.