A&M gets another 5 Star Qb

WETSU

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I had money to bet, I'd bet that Murray never suits up for the Aggies. The kid is a top draft pick next year in MLB.

Kid is a 5' 11" middle infielder. He's not going high enough to matter IMO. But that is a concern in some eyes I guess.

Murray is kid that was raised to be an Aggie, and he is a great addition to the team. However, it's much easier said than done when you talk about sitting for a few years behind Allen. Kyler lives in the spotlight of one of the largest high schools in the US, and it will be interesting to see how long he is willing to stand on the sideline and signal plays. My prediction is one of them will eventually transfer unless their is some type of injury. It's not wishful thinking Internet, it's just my opinion.

How many top 25 teams started true freshman last year? What about the year before?

Kyler will likely redshirt. That puts two years in between him and Allen. So he will "signal plays" for 1 year, 2 max. So he will have 2 probably 3 years to be the starter. At ANY program that's a great run. I just don't see how it would be an issue. Especially for a kid that's as level headed and has the mentoring that Kyler has.

How many top 25 teams started true freshman last year? What about the year before?

Kyler will likely redshirt. That puts two years in between him and Allen. So he will "signal plays" for 1 year, 2 max. So he will have 2 probably 3 years to be the starter. At ANY program that's a great run. I just don't see how it would be an issue. Especially for a kid that's as level headed and has the mentoring that Kyler has.

This sounds very familiar to a prediction of yours just a few years ago:

"Long story short Stewart will redshirt and he will be a redshirt freshman while his main competition for the starting spot will be manziel and Davis who will be juniors. Stewart would then have at the least 2 years of eligibility as THE GUY on campus. Really I see Davis as a 3 year starter with stewart starting for 3 after Davis leaves."

PS - Kyler is a 5'11" middle infielder that hits bombs and runs like a deer. He's already being projected as a possible high draft pick as a 30/30 player. He could be like the kid from FSU though and play both at A&M.

This sounds very familiar to a prediction of yours just a few years ago:

"Long story short Stewart will redshirt and he will be a redshirt freshman while his main competition for the starting spot will be manziel and Davis who will be juniors. Stewart would then have at the least 2 years of eligibility as THE GUY on campus. Really I see Davis as a 3 year starter with stewart starting for 3 after Davis leaves."

PS - Kyler is a 5'11" middle infielder that hits bombs and runs like a deer. He's already being projected as a possible high draft pick as a 30/30 player. He could be like the kid from FSU though and play both at A&M.

I NEVER meant that as in Stewart was a lock to A&M instead of MLB. He was a top 10 draft pick. As of right now, Kyler Murray is only projected as a early second late first round pick. There have also been many knocks on his size by just as many mlb scouts as what NFL scouts would do. He is a late first round pick at best if he went out today. I do not believe he even goes that high, but it's going to take top 20 mlb pick money to draw him away from football. Football is number 1 baseball 2 in his eyes. Stewart was the other way around for the most part.

If all the accolades are correct I would expect Murray to start as a RS freshman. He definitely has the pedigree for it.

^ That wasn't really the point I was trying to make. My point is we can ONLY guess what is going to happen in the future, and many times we are wrong... even when the odds are in our favor. I don't think any UT fans thought Garrett Gilbert would have panic attacks at the college level. And going back a few years ago, I don't know of any Aggie posters on this board that felt Manziel would be the QB with Hill and Stewart coming to the Aggies. Many had Manziel as a slot WR.

For what it's worth, I know many, many kids that would jump at the chance to be a late 1st rounder or early 2nd rounder in the MLB draft over any college sport. MLB has the best scholarship program known to man in case a young draft pick doesn't pan out as expected.

^ That wasn't really the point I was trying to make. My point is we can ONLY guess what is going to happen in the future, and many times we are wrong... even when the odds are in our favor. I don't think any UT fans thought Garrett Gilbert would have panic attacks at the college level. And going back a few years ago, I don't know of any Aggie posters on this board that felt Manziel would be the QB with Hill and Stewart coming to the Aggies. Many had Manziel as a slot WR.

For what it's worth, I know many, many kids that would jump at the chance to be a late 1st rounder or early 2nd rounder in the MLB draft over any college sport. MLB has the best scholarship program known to man in case a young draft pick doesn't pan out as expected.

I get what you are saying... But you mention not being able to predict the future, after saying you would bet he never plays in an Aggie uniform because of the draft.

From Dallas Morning News:

Allen baseball coach Paul Coe said that Kyler is projected as a first- or second-round pick. I’ve talked with another high school coach this week who said that a MLB scout told him that he believed Murray could be the No. 1 overall pick in the 2015 draft, with a team trying to make it financially unfeasible for a college-football career to make sense at that point. Murray could sign a pro baseball contract, and then come back to play college football at a later time, like current Cowboys back-up QB Brandon Weeden. Weeden was a 2nd round pick by the Yankees out of high school, playing five years in the minor leagues before attending Oklahoma State.

Murray said Wednesday that he hasn’t decided whether to enroll early at Texas A&M (which would prevent him from playing HS baseball as a senior), nor is he certain if he’ll try to play two sports in college.

From Dallas Morning News:

Allen baseball coach Paul Coe said that Kyler is projected as a first- or second-round pick. Ive talked with another high school coach this week who said that a MLB scout told him that he believed Murray could be the No. 1 overall pick in the 2015 draft, with a team trying to make it financially unfeasible for a college-football career to make sense at that point. Murray could sign a pro baseball contract, and then come back to play college football at a later time, like current Cowboys back-up QB Brandon Weeden. Weeden was a 2nd round pick by the Yankees out of high school, playing five years in the minor leagues before attending Oklahoma State.

Murray said Wednesday that he hasnt decided whether to enroll early at Texas A&M (which would prevent him from playing HS baseball as a senior), nor is he certain if hell try to play two sports in college.

Just my two cents, but if the kid is debating skipping baseball his senior season or not trying to play both sports in college, isn't it pretty obvious he is choosing football over baseball?

Kohl Stewart was 100% playing both sports in college. As were many others that ended up ping mlb route. This kid doesn't even know if he will play his remaining year of baseball because he may enroll early for more football work... Seems that unless something changes drastically he has made his choice.

Just my two cents, but if the kid is debating skipping baseball his senior season or not trying to play both sports in college, isn't it pretty obvious he is choosing football over baseball?

Kohl Stewart was 100% playing both sports in college. As were many others that ended up ping mlb route. This kid doesn't even know if he will play his remaining year of baseball because he may enroll early for more football work... Seems that unless something changes drastically he has made his choice.

Question: So Kyler, have you decided to enroll early at A&M to get a head start in football?

Kyler: I haven't decided.

Question: What about playing both sports in college?

***Yeah it's pretty obvious.*** LOL!

Here's another question: So Kyler, are you planning on playing pro baseball?

Question: So Kyler, have you decided to enroll early at A&M to get a head start in football?

Question: What about playing both sports in college?

***Yeah it's pretty obvious.*** LOL!

The fact that it's even a decision is telling... Anyone who is even slightly entertaining playin pro baseball doesn't "decide" whether they are going to play their senior year of baseball...

It's all good. I don't want to get into a back and forth banter about what this kid might actually do. It's a good pick up for A&M, and he will most likely be successful in whatever direction he chooses. Both his dad and uncle were drafted by MLB out of high school. Dad actually played a season before enrolling at A&M. His uncle was a 1st round draft pick twice.

If Kyler has the opportunity to play at the MLB level, I think he will take a serious look at it simply because of his father. Kevin was an All-American that went undrafted in the NFL because of injuries. I do believe his father will back him 100% in whatever decision Kyler makes.

Then why did Kohl Stewart even commit to the Aggies if he already knew he was going to sign? Was he just playing with you guys? Was it a bad joke?

You aren't understanding the difference.

Kohl was a guy who was 100% a dual sport guy from the get go and made it very clear baseball was a high priority. He was on traveling teams year round almost and it was clear he was a great baseball player who happened to also be good at football.

Kyler is the exact opposite. He is a great football player who happens to be good at baseball. He is not even sure if he will stay to play his senior year of baseball, let alone play in college. It's clear that baseball is second for Murray where football was second for Stewart. Their situations are not similar at all...

Now, I'm not saying there is zero percent chance that Murray plays baseball. What I'm saying is that Murray's chances of going pro I would put around 25%. If you would have asked me the same question about Stewart that year, I would have said his chances of playing baseball were around 65%. There is a HUGE difference.

I'm also hearing 5 star Wr Demarcus Lodge and 4 star CB Kris Boyd should follow soon as well.

This really is a dominoes effect commit. There are several athletes who may jump on board now that Murray has made it official. A&M has potential to land a top 2 class if they get the heavy leans they have now.

Alabama is in the hunt also.

Murray is a Rivals 4 star recruit. The only 5 star qb committed to UCLA. I would say I would be worried about his small stature but JF shot that theory down. If he doesn't go baseball he's got a chance to be a player. He's rated 2nd best in the State. If the Ags keep having success they should be in play for the top QB's in the State, year in and year out. Sumlin's ideal QB is a big, tall, strong kid. So don't be suprised if a QB recruit in the next year or two is bigger and better than Murray. I think he would transfer before switching positions.

Murray is a Rivals 4 star recruit. The only 5 star qb committed to UCLA. I would say I would be worried about his small stature but JF shot that theory down. If he doesn't go baseball he's got a chance to be a player. He's rated 2nd best in the State. If the Ags keep having success they should be in play for the top QB's in the State, year in and year out. Sumlin's ideal QB is a big, tall, strong kid. So don't be suprised if a QB recruit in the next year or two is bigger and better than Murray. I think he would transfer before switching positions.

Espn, scout and 247 have him as a 5 star...

It's truly a shame A&M will have Kyler and Kyle Allen so close together. Kyler is elite. Size be damned... I'm not really sure at this point who he reminds me of. He's a much better passer at this stage in his career than Johnny. I don't think he has "as much" of the "it" factor Johnny has... He is not going to out arm Kyle Allen for the spot but he's got some things about his game he's better at. Specifically his ability to extend plays with his legs...he's very small. 5'11" 173 from what I've saw. He will need a redshirt year and about 20 pounds before he's even close to ready to see the field. We will see how things shake out from here I guess.

You may be right. The only thing that worries me is that he may be close to his ceiling. His Dad is one of the top QB coaches around. He has been taught proper mechanics and footwork from a young age. Hell of a athlete and QB. It will be fun watching it play out. BTW, Rivals is the only one I pay attention too. They aren't nearly as liberal with the coveted 5 star ranking. Great commitment for the Ags. Competition is good for everybody.

You may be right. The only thing that worries me is that he may be close to his ceiling. His Dad is one of the top QB coaches around. He has been taught proper mechanics and footwork from a young age. Hell of a athlete and QB. It will be fun watching it play out. BTW, Rivals is the only one I pay attention too. They aren't nearly as liberal with the coveted 5 star ranking. Great commitment for the Ags. Competition is good for everybody.

He is very developed in a mechanics regard... Truthfully at this stage in his career, he's bored. There aren't many teams able to even challenge him alone, much less that Allen offense. Getting to college will be adjusting to the speed of the game and everything.

If you held a gun to my head right now, I would say he is a better QB than Johnny from a QB standpoint. He's more accurate, better pocket presence, strong armed... Now. Johnny is just a good football player. At leat up until this point in his career, nobody has ever done the type of things Johnny does. When you break it down on film it's easy to see some of his shortcomings, but he makes up for it in sheer "it" factor. Will Kyler Murray be as effective? Guess we will now in 4 years how it worked out...

I do believe Murray is a really good QB, but you guys are making him out to be the best high school QB ever to play the game... He hasn't even taken a snap as a senior yet! He plays for the second largest high school in the state which means there is most likely a bunch of talent walking those hallways. I guess I'm wondering what Murray would have looked like playing for a Kerrville Tivy.

I do believe Murray is a really good QB, but you guys are making him out to be the best high school QB ever to play the game... He hasn't even taken a snap as a senior yet! He plays for the second largest high school in the state which means there is most likely a bunch of talent walking those hallways. I guess I'm wondering what Murray would have looked like playing for a Kerrville Tivy.

I'm not making him out to be anything really. I simply said from a qb standpoint, his footwork, mechanics and accuracy are all very very good for a dual threat qb at this point in his career. I don't know how his game will be in college, but at the high school level he has dominated the best opponents in high school football in the Texas 5a division. He has also shown to be extremely good on the camp circuit. I'm not guaranteeing anything from him as a college prospect, but his "accomplishments" in high school are about as good as you can ask for from any qb regardless of school.

I'm not making him out to be anything really. I simply said from a qb standpoint, his footwork, mechanics and accuracy are all very very good for a dual threat qb at this point in his career. I don't know how his game will be in college, but at the high school level he has dominated the best opponents in high school football in the Texas 5a division. He has also shown to be extremely good on the camp circuit. I'm not guaranteeing anything from him as a college prospect, but his "accomplishments" in high school are about as good as you can ask for from any qb regardless of school.

You've already put him ahead of the best QB A&M has ever had put on a uniform!

It's obvious the kid can play, but you say it all when you say "He has dominated the best opponents in high school football in the Texas 5a division." It's only funny because he plays behind the best O-Line in the state, and Allen has no shortage of skill position players. Their defense is pretty dang stout as well.