Week One: Longview at Lufkin

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (0-0) vs Lufkin Panthers (0-0)  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Lufkin in a close one
    • Lufkin in a blow out

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey man I get it...:I respect ur opinion. Did u think we would play for a championship in 08 and 09? u just act like he hasn't even come close to a championship and I think the fact that we r in the mix just about every year....even in "down" years like 2010 says an awful lot about how good he is

Absolutely. I knew without a shadow of a doubt what type of manpower we had, especially coming back the following year in 2009. After totally obliterating Evangel in 2008, and watching Lake Travis struggle against them the following week made me a believer that King would bring us our 1st title. Well, 2009 rolls around and we have an even larger target on our backs. We go into Abe Martin and half-a play and come out with a grown man 'A' beating. We follow that up the next week in Texarkana with a very, lackluster performance and escape with a razor's blade egde type of win.

My chief ordeal is when we are completely loaded he fails to keep the kids intensity level up. And, I can't blame it all on him because all these new BS laws, rules or what have you keep you from cussing a kid out to get his attention or grabbing his facemask in front of everyone to light a fire under him to make sure you mean business. (By the way, which is what happened to me and several other teammates in my day.)

But, those are the key words, I guess- IN MY DAY. I am going to touch base on something that most people won't say but are probably thinking it. If you tell, "Connor" or "Hudson" who both run 4.9 '40s' to get in the deep 3rd and play their specific assigment in the secondary, it seems as though they NEVER get burned. Now, to John King's credit he has, "DaQualon" and "RaShaad" who run electronic 4.3 '40s' (Non-Wind Aided) who can broad jump out of the gym and hit like a Mack truck over a squirrel that thinks he can get away in real life with what his relatives done in the commercials and live to tell about it.

Anyway, "DaQualon" and "Rashaad" with all of their God given ability when told to get in the deep 3rd and play their assigment will ALWAYS try to make KLTV's Friday Night Lights highlight reel and get in man-press coverage and get burned all TobinFrost day and year long! So, I understand what King is dealing with to an extent but, I don't believe he has total control of his student athletes. At some point, you have to use some extreme measures to get these kids to conform and do as you say and not as they please. So in essence what I am saying is, King's student athletes lack DISCIPLINE and when he can get his parameters set and stand by them no matter what is when Longview will get their state title. Being UNDISCIPLINED has lost us SEVERAL games that we should have won a just MAYBE a title or two along the way as well.

Being UNDISCIPLINED has lost us SEVERAL games that we should have won a just MAYBE a title or two along the way as well.

That lies at the feet of the players, imo. King has done as much as he can to bring discipline to some of those players life. He and the coaching staff can only do so much.

If the players don't believe, that's on them. If the players won't want to put in the effort, that's on them. All these parents in the stands and other people that have no kids out there want to blame the coaching staff for EVERYTHING (not saying you are doing that Tobin). But they don't want to say one bit about the lack of effort from their own kids or their friends kids.

That said, I've never heard someone cuss as much as John King so you can scratch that off your previous post. He reconfirmed that to me watching him yesterday out there.

Longview is definitely struggling with injuries already. Believe WP4L counted 5 in shorts yesterday at practice. Shame shame shame.

what's going on with Sorey and Chums? Hearing Chum might be playing more receiver than Qb

what's going on with Sorey and Chums? Hearing Chum might be playing more receiver than Qb

Sorey was fine on Tuesday. Minor limping but nothing too bad.

If Chumley is playing receiver, that should tell you how good Ross or Castleberry have improved. Cam looked like he improved a ton since 7 on 7 play on Tuesday. Didn't see Ross throw a ton but everything I've heard about him and seen on film has me believing he's the best of the three.

Chumley is our quarterback & leader and ever more our general after this news about Hasty being out a long long time has come out. All three will get snaps but this is Chumley's team just as it was Aaron's back in 2009.

Hard pill to swallow but if you believe Chum is the leader and this his team he's gonna have to Step up big time...

Dezmond Chumley is entering into what amounts to his 3rd year as the starting QB. He threw for nearly 2300 yards last

season with 33 TD's and only 5 Ints. BOTH are new school single season records (Yards & TD's)...that's ALL-Time

school records.Come to think of it, he sat down soon after half-time in all three games I broadcasted last year or his totals

would've been much...much greater.

He's a really gifted athlete and "could" be a better baseball player when it comes right down to it. He "shattered" the all-time

school TEAM record with 11 triples as a Sophomore eclipsing the 9 triples which was a SCHOOL season record. He simply

added 7 more this past season as a Junior. He holds several all-time school records at Longview High after completing his

JUNIOR year.

Look...I'll agree he's not a loud...rah...rah kind of player...if that's what you want a leader to be then and only then would you

have a point to hold in any debate.

However, to say anyone has a "hard pill to swallow for believing his leadership abilities" and that he'll have to "step up big time"

is a very ill-informed and narrow-minded viewpoint. Really, I have to question exactly what you're looking for in production

from your "leader"...IF what he did last year doesn't reflect him to be a highly productive leader up to this time in his career ?

He's a TWO-Sport ALL-TIME single season school record holder... with a two year starting QB record of somewhere in the

vicinity of 20 wins & 4 losses (a stellar .833 winning percentage as a starting QB) AND yet he STILL has to "step up" ?

Are you serious ?? Really ??

He's a proven leader...already ! Quite frankly, he may very well rank amongst the greatest athletes that has walked the hallways

at LHS with what he's accomplished to date in a "statistical measure"...that's a fact !

RJ

Dezmond Chumley is entering into what amounts to his 3rd year as the starting QB. He threw for nearly 2300 yards last

season with 33 TD's and only 5 Ints. BOTH are new school single season records (Yards & TD's)...that's ALL-Time

school records.Come to think of it, he sat down soon after half-time in all three games I broadcasted last year or his totals

He's a really gifted athlete and "could" be a better baseball player when it comes right down to it. He "shattered" the all-time

school TEAM record with 11 triples as a Sophomore eclipsing the 9 triples which was a SCHOOL season record. He simply

added 7 more this past season as a Junior. He holds several all-time school records at Longview High after completing his

JUNIOR year.

Look...I'll agree he's not a loud...rah...rah kind of player...if that's what you want a leader to be then and only then would you

However, to say anyone has a "hard pill to swallow for believing his leadership abilities" and that he'll have to "step up big time"

is a very ill-informed and narrow-minded viewpoint. Really, I have to question exactly what you're looking for in production

from your "leader"...IF what he did last year doesn't reflect him to be a highly productive leader up to this time in his career ?

He's a TWO-Sport ALL-TIME single season school record holder... with a two year starting QB record of somewhere in the

vicinity of 20 wins & 4 losses (a stellar .833 winning percentage as a starting QB) AND yet he STILL has to "step up" ?

He's a proven leader...already ! Quite frankly, he may very well rank amongst the greatest athletes that has walked the hallways

at LHS with what he's accomplished to date in a "statistical measure"...that's a fact !

RJ

I think the reference to him stepping up was about his performance in the scrimmage

JUNIOR year.

RJ

He may very well be one of the greatest athletes to walk our halls, but being a great athlete does not make you a great leader. Statistically he has a stellar presence, but it will have to be more. I do not mean more stats, I mean more presence!! You do not have to be the all-time anything to be a leader. Not only do these guys have to buy into what Coach King is selling, they will also have to buy into Dez's plan also. Instead of hanging their heads when things are not going their way, they will need to depend on him to keep their eyes on the prize. Coach King cannot do that for them. Dez knows how this works and if he wants a different result, he will figure out a way to get it done.

GO LOBOS!!!

Tobin Frost is not very bright.

John King is without a doubt one of the best coaches around. Y'all ever run him off,

your program will be in disarray.

BOY..............., last time I checked this was an open forum for a variety of opinions. You focus on staying off the message boards at this time of the year and you too COULD live to be a Successful Coach. BUT, I would fire off on you in some lengthy explanation but, as your handle says, it infers that you're exactly that. YOUNG.

He's a proven leader...already ! Quite frankly, he may very well rank amongst the greatest athletes that has walked the hallway

It was proven last year against A&M....where Chumley goes, Longview goes. It wasn't Hasty, it wasn't Leonard, it wasn't the defense (though that would've helped)....Chumley takes this team however far they go. It will be highlighted even more so now with our star back out. Chumley will be taking Longview where ever they go. We can talk about rotating the quarterbacks, and that's good. We need to get the young guys reps. After what happened in 2012, it is a must that those guys are reading to be thrown in there at a moments notice, god forbid, if something were to happen to Dez. But at the end of the day, he's our best player and he's the star. If he wants to put on a show, Longview will do well.

I know team morale is down after the past week. The injuries, the scrimmage to Ennis. It has all hit at once. But Chumley's job is to lead and if there was ever a chance to prove himself in that role, here it is.

As I said on the new 6A board....it definitely needs to be stated that this team that shows up on Friday, with the amount of young guys they'll be throwing out on defense, will not be the team running out on the field in November. I truly believe King and company will have these boys kicking and ready to go come playoff time (and I think he proved he was already planning for the post season with the way he handled the Ennis scrimmage).

Guest RyleDupp

and I think he proved he was already planning for the post season with the way he handled the Ennis scrimmage).

I done heard it all now

Using a scrimmage to prepare for the post season

smdh

I done heard it all now

Using a scrimmage to prepare for the post season

smdh

Didn't say he was using the scrimmage for the post season. Said he is already planning for the post season, as nothing we do in these first three games does much of anything outside of get players rep time. We're already sealed to play one of John Tyler or Lufkin unless one of them somehow doesn't make the post season. He's going to be ridiculously conservative AS HE PROVED LAST WEEK. He's going to use a ton of players in rotation to get reps AS HE PROVED LAST WEEK.

Guest RyleDupp

Say man. Don't coaches use a ton of players in scrimmage anyways

That's nothing new

I shocked longview hasn't won more titles

Only team ever to rotate players in a scrimm and use that scrimm to prepare for postseason

What's next. Not gone to try against lufkin cuz don't wanna show what u got on film

Smh

Smh

Didn't say he was using the scrimmage for the post season. Said he is already planning for the post season, as nothing we do in these first three games does much of anything outside of get players rep time. We're already sealed to play one of John Tyler or Lufkin unless one of them somehow doesn't make the post season. He's going to be ridiculously conservative AS HE PROVED LAST WEEK. He's going to use a ton of players in rotation to get reps AS HE PROVED LAST WEEK.

Hey LoboFan07, don't waste your time this guy on the Tatum vs Newton thread talking crazy also.........! I figure one year of intramural football in 7th grade :unsure:

I think the reference to him stepping up was about his performance in the scrimmage

Say What ?? Come again ? Ever heard of looking at the his cumulative resume?

Anyone basing what happened in that "scrimmage" last week...judging his "leadership"

THEN calling him out to "step it up" is not really qualified to be taken seriously..imo !

Heck...Chumley did score the only TD in the open half of "real time" action. FWIW...he

was really one of the few Lobo bright spots in the entire night at Ennis. A scrimmage

that his own Head Coach did not put enough emphasis on for the team to go WIN by

doing any game planning of consequence. OK...let's blame the QB for that ? Duh ?

FWIW...HIs teammates HAVE to do their part as well..football is a TEAM sport.

He can't win any game by himself...alluding to the A&M Consolidated loss as another

poster here mentioned a few posts above..he was having to spend way too much time

running for his life as his O-Line & RB's were blowing one assignment after another

which led to some mistakes on his part & of course HE gets "thrown under the bus"

for that..NOT two, three or four other of the10 Lobos on the field. on offense in Midlothian.

I saw the game...I was in attendance as well. John King better NOT ever agree to play there

again...lol !

Anyway, i 'm not worried about Dez...he's not perfect but some here are calling for him to

be the second coming of Vince Young or RGIII...he's not either of those guys...btw !

Come to think of it...the Zone Read Option...or some form of it would be "tailor-made"

for Dez. THAT would be something to see...for sure !

Let's watch how it all plays out !

RJ

Say What ?? Come again ? Ever heard of looking at the his cumulative resume?

Anyone basing what happened in that "scrimmage" last week...judging his "leadership"

THEN calling him out to "step it up" is not really qualified to be taken seriously..imo !

Heck...Chumley did score the only TD in the open half of "real time" action. FWIW...he

was really one of the few Lobo bright spots in the entire night at Ennis. A scrimmage

that his own Head Coach did not put enough emphasis on for the team to go WIN by

doing any game planning of consequence. OK...let's blame the QB for that ? Duh ?

FWIW...HIs teammates HAVE to do their part as well..football is a TEAM sport.

He can't win any game by himself...alluding to the A&M Consolidated loss as another

poster here mentioned a few posts above..he was having to spend way too much time

running for his life as his O-Line & RB's were blowing one assignment after another

which led to some mistakes on his part & of course HE gets "thrown under the bus"

for that..NOT two, three or four other of the10 Lobos on the field. on offense in Midlothian.

I saw the game...I was in attendance as well. John King better NOT ever agree to play there

again...lol !

Anyway, i 'm not worried about Dez...he's not perfect but some here are calling for him to

be the second coming of Vince Young or RGIII...he's not either of those guys...btw !

Come to think of it...the Zone Read Option...or some form of it would be "tailor-made"

for Dez. THAT would be something to see...for sure !

Let's watch how it all plays out !

RJ

Qbs were combined 8-28....they r going to have to do better than that....aka step up! Of course o line plays into that but many reports of inaccuracy have been made through out fall practices. Also dropped balls that were on the money. Just seems like we have our head up our rear right now....plus injuries. Hopefully we see a determined lobo team Friday night.

We just have to remember this is a very young team outside of 2-3 players. Gonna take some time for them to acclimate. These new kids are being thrown to the panthers....