Jay Brown approved as new AD/Football Coach at Palestine...

Smoaky

I think it's odd he's not there. Moving far away or not, you make it work. Go to the new town 3 days, back to the family the rest of the week. One day in the entire month is strange. Most new HC's can't wait to get to town, meet the kids, etc.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spoke nothing but the truth. He has been to ONE....ONE! workout this summer to say hello to the kids, he knows none of their names yet. No one thinks it is odd he has been hired for almost a month now, and the kids wouldn't know him from Adam? Come on now....this is someone in over his head trying to get other things done, when he needs to be with the kids.

Just spoke to one of the football player and unlike you I won't announce the boys name but they have seen the man more than once and understand the transition of moving. He told em he be there everyday and the kids already like him. Give the man a break he is moving more than a few hours away from denton and that takes time and has a family to move as well. Kids like him and he has a staff. Gonna be okay no one is leaving for westwood

• 3 weeks later...

I just read a 3 page story in the Palestine Herald Press. It Sounds to me like Coach Brown has gotten off to a great start. I really can not wait to see what this team does on the field this season. We are fortunate to be able to have a guy like Coach Brown especially since it was so late in the year, but sounds like things are well in hand.

• 1 month later...

Yea make it difficult for a staff that went toe to toe with La Vaga in playoffs, Carthage, and Jasper. The only team in 3A that held the fairfield RB to less than 50 yrds and that has WON 4 straight TRACK district and 3 AREA and one Reg. CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!!!!

Making things difficult sure can make one's job A LOT harder than one wants to chew off.

What year did they win a regional championship in TRACK?

Saw them this past week. Lot of talent on the field, just a lot of foolish mistakes. QB is very good, has been killing us the past couple of years, play him this year and he basically a non factor. IDK what Palestine's fate will be, but I do know they are not going to compete well with the Kilgore's and Carthage's of the world.

• 3 weeks later...

He has to have a full year it's hard to get a guy to come along with you so late in game. It would help if the board would have done this hire earlier. They have talent through.

Using late hire is just an excuse! The cupboard wasn't bare when the last AD left. They look horrible and very unorganized. Discipline? They don't have any discipline. The board and sup made a mistake on this one and hopefully will correct their mistake very soon.

Palestine looked bad this year when we faced them. Totally out of sync, looked completely out matched. This after beating us handedly the previous two years.

I don't think they will fire him in his first year, and sometimes the talent just isn't there....

But I don't think anyone would be upset if they let him go and tried to find someone top notch in January to come in and totally rebuild.

And... Here we go. Yes we are 0-5. Things are not looking good going into district play. No, we can not judge Coach Brown or his staff yet. It is way too early. Coach Brown and his entire staff have my FULL support. Remember, when Coach Angel came to town we were 2-8 that first season, and were a playoff team the following 3 years. There have been a lot of huge mental mistakes made by this group of kids. These are high school kids and we are going to have to live with that from time to time. Yes, its been tough to watch at times. Palestine is still a football town, and those that only support the team when things are going well are not fans. Real fans stay the course. I would be blind if I say I did not see any problems. There are plenty, but lets see how things develop. Its been 5 games, not even a full season and everyone is calling for the Coach's head. We are far from that point yet.

1. HIRED Late very late ( can't get your staff you want so no firing)

2. Undisciplined

Hard to win when you dealing with those issues. Gotta give him a full year cause everyone who wasn't in denial expected a rebuilding year.

Well said ... and probably understated ...

Using late hire is just an excuse! The cupboard wasn't bare when the last AD left. They look horrible and very unorganized. Discipline? They don't have any discipline. The board and sup made a mistake on this one and hopefully will correct their mistake very soon.

Its not an excuse usually you try to get your coach hired when the date rolls around at the beginning of the year. April the latest because there is still time to get your staff there and you have about two months to get the kids acclimated to the way you run your program and to get your base offense and defense taught. The summer is usually when they are lifting and getting stronger and 7 on 7 and qb's and wr's get timing and things down. When two-a-days hit then you refresh and build more into what you have taught and you go into the season feeling good about whats going on. To get hired in Late May early June kinda of puts you behind the 8 ball. There is limited to know time to teach anything and two-a-days is definitely not enough time to get it done. So they are going into this season basically learning while playing. Give it time

I am not saying it is life and death, just saying I can't believe this has happened.

Its not just that they are 0-5, it is the way they have looked this year.

I just think there were several people who applied/finalists for the job that could of run a better program. The kids are quitting on the coach, they are talking about playing for themselfes only on facebook and getting stats, they talk about how they are so glad he doesn't make them do anything over the weekends now and the bye week they doing nothing.