OFFICIAL 2014 FIFA WORLD CUP THREAD

Coach Rab

Games start Thursday. Who do you pick to advance out of pool play? Any legitimate shot to USA making some noise? Odds on the officials rigging the World Cup in favor of Brazil? etc etc etc.

I am excited that I will be able to stream all games on ESPN3.com... When I was a teen, I used to wake up at 2am so I could watch the games back to back to back before my noon nap.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the US will be competitive, and may make it out of their pool, but I don't see them making much noise in bracket play. I think 2018 will be the year where we see if America is ready to stand on their own two legs against the worlds best.

As for favorites, it is hard to root against the home team. Germany, Argentina, and Spain are also teams that have a legit chance to win it all.

I plan to stream as many games as possible in my classroom this week (Stuck in summer school), and watch as often as possible over the next month...

:lol: you don't get "stuck in summer school" unless you choose to do it for those big $$$$$$$ :P

Unfortunately our district doesn't give us a choice...We go straight from the last day of school (May 30) into two "Flex" weeks for students that failed their EOC or have to make up hours...Two weeks of more teachers than students on campus...My nerf jumpshot has vastly improved the last week and a half

Unfortunately our district doesn't give us a choice...We go straight from the last day of school (May 30) into two "Flex" weeks for students that failed their EOC or have to make up hours...Two weeks of more teachers than students on campus...My nerf jumpshot has vastly improved the last week and a half

I am glad I don't work there...... :P

I'll say. 5-1 and their lone goal was another iffy penalty. They got a must win contest with Chile next. A draw probably wouldn't be good enough because of the ridiculous goal differential they'd have to make up in the final game. (I'm assuming everyone will beat the Aussies, although they gave Chile a fight.)

Mexico looked pretty good. Their game with Brazil could be very interesting.

I'll say. 5-1 and their lone goal was another iffy penalty. They got a must win contest with Chile next. A draw probably wouldn't be good enough because of the ridiculous goal differential they'd have to make up in the final game. (I'm assuming everyone will beat the Aussies, although they gave Chile a fight.)

Mexico looked pretty good. Their game with Brazil could be very interesting.

Mexico is too inconsistent to make it past the knockout round. Their Group isnt exactly going to be a given for them either.

We looked tired and slow and sloppy at midfield. USA looks great on offense, shaky on D and terrible at midfield when in possession of the ball. We caught a break. Now just need to avoid a blowout by Germany and/or tie/beat Portugal that also looked suspect on D

the D was bending but not breaking. It seemed Ghana possessed the ball on our side of the field nearly the whole game. I know they definitely outshot us. Butit's about taking advantages of those shots and converting.

I am surprised we were having so much trouble possessing the ball, but I will take the win. I think we may need to beat Portugal as I think Portugal will beat Ghana by more than 1 goal.

We have a +5 goal differential advantage on them right now, which would stay the same with a draw. If they then beat Ghana by two, and we lost to Germany by two, we'd still win the tiebreaker. But a win would be a lot neater.

In the end, just don't lose.

We have a +5 goal differential advantage on them right now, which would stay the same with a draw. If they then beat Ghana by two, and we lost to Germany by two, we'd still win the tiebreaker. But a win would be a lot neater.

In the end, just don't lose.

If we win, I dont see any way that we don't make it to the knockout stage. I would be completely ok with another sloppy 1-0, 2-1 win

Ghana ties Germany 2-2. A terrific game to watch but not a very good result for the US. A draw tomorrow would open us up to the possibility of being passed on goal differential on the final day by Ghana. And Germany now has to go all out against us in the final match. We better beat Portugal.