OFFICIAL 2014 FIFA WORLD CUP THREAD

Coach Rab

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My thoughts:

We are sloppy and erratic at times. But we may be one of the best scoring teams in the tournament when you look at what the US does when they get those chances. The early missed clearance killed us this game. And it will never cease to amaze me how hard these guys can strike a ball with their head. That final goal by them was pretty.

US unsurprisingly loses to Germany, but advances to the knockout round thanks to goal differential. It was a dull match from our end with the US having very little of the ball. I remember Zusi sending a shot a couple feet over the crossbar and that was about it for our attack. Well, still ... first time ever to get out of the group stage in consecutive World Cups. And from the Group of Death this time. Three out of the four CONCACAF representatives advance. Just great all the way around.

Don't watch if you don't like the sport!!

There is a lot of talk on The Herd on ESPN Radio about elite soccer fans scaring off new soccer fans with their elitist holier than thou attitudes. Let band wagon fans watch and enjoy. There is plenty for people to like and plenty of benefits long term.

(1) Its the fastest pro sport I have ever watched. Commercials only at halftime. Pretty much finishes in 2 hours.

(2) People are realizing that the game is much faster and much more interesting than the 1-0, 2-1 score.

(3) Huge TV ratings. This means people are watching, which could mean more kids interested in the sport. This will transition to better athletes long-term.

These elite soccer fans that bash Americans for jumping on the band wagon can take a jump of their own... off a bridge...

It's over. US loses 2-1 to Belgium in extra time. Belgium were by far the better team throughout but we had a chance to win in regulation. Ball fell right to Chris Wondolowski's feet with only a desperate goalkeeper to beat and he shanked it. Boy he's going to be reliving that one for a long time. Dude would have been a hero.

Have to say I'm proud that they managed to get out of the group when no one was giving them the chance, and the fight they showed in this one at the end when they were just running on fumes, but also have to say that they played some pretty ugly soccer outside the Portugal game. I wonder if I'll live long enough to see the US anywhere near equal footing with the powers of international soccer? Tired of thinking how the other side has better players at every position except maybe goalkeeper.

Final was 7-1. Brazil scored at the bitter end to rescue a little ... well, I won't say pride. But it's better than 7-0!

Actually if his injury hadn't been so severe I would say Neymar was lucky to be out, not to have to have played in that massacre. He's the one Brazilian whose reputation among his countrymen won't be in tatters now.

Germany just has to keep a level head on their shoulders and they'll be champs. They got to be champs. You don't want to win by that score in the semis and then lose the final.

that had nothing to do with the coach. WIth soccer you make the gameplan before the game and hope the players adjust. that is the 2nd good team Germany has blown out of the water in the World Cup. I dont see how they cant be the favorite in the Final.

Not having Neymar and Silva really hurt Brazil. Didn't hurt the Brazilians to the tune of a 7-1 drubbing though...

Germany is very good. If they keep a level head, they should cruise in the finals. Argentina is a one man team with Messi (Much like Portugal with Ronaldo). Netherlands is good, but have been a little inconsistent and got a few lucky breaks along the way

I could believe that. I'll say 2-0 Germany though. Argentina did a great job of denying the Dutch much of anything for most of the game. They maybe can make things difficult for the Germans too. Actually I'll be rooting for the Argies. Like to see Messi add that last feather to his cap.

I could believe that. I'll say 2-0 Germany though. Argentina did a great job of denying the Dutch much of anything for most of the game. They maybe can make things difficult for the Germans too. Actually I'll be rooting for the Argies. Like to see Messi add that last feather to his cap.

I honestly thought that the Netherlands would be the only team that could knock off Germany. Germany has some holes in their defense, they just better not let Messi loose.