2014 District 8-3A D1

It's time to start a thread for this district with contact drills just 1 month away. I will do my best to keep up with all the scores for the teams each week and would like anyone with info on the teams to please post it.

Here are the teams and what they did last year.

Harmony Eagles 7-4 Bi-Dist. loss to Kirbyville.

The Eagles always play very tough. 1 Off. and 4 Def. starters returning.

Jefferson Bulldogs 4-6 No play-offs last year.

The Bulldogs will return 6 Off. and 6 Def. so with that much returning experience they should have a good season.

Mineola YellowJackets 5-6 Bi-Dist. loss to Gilmer.

The Jackets were young last year at key positions and return a very solid line. With the drop down in classification and a lot of returning players I expect them to make a run for the district title. 7 Off. and 9 Def. returning.

Sabine Cardinals 1-9 No play-offs last year.

The Cardinals return 5 Off. and 6 Def. and should be ready for the season with Coach Comfort in charge.

Quitman Bulldogs 2-8 No play-offs last year.

The Dogs return 7 Off. and 5 Def. and have a new coach. The Dogs will give all they have every game.

White Oak RoughNecks 13-2 State-Semi loss to State Champ Cameron Yoe.

OK here's what everyone is saying. ZERO returning Off. starters, ONE on Def. and NEW COACH. The Necks won't be any good this year. BALONEY!! Yeah in the pre-district games I can see them struggling but by the time district games roll around they will have found out who can do what. The NEW coach was already on staff so it won't be that big of a transition.

Hope everyone has a great pre-district and we can all have a fun district race to the play-offs.

Good luck and GO JACKETS!!!!!!!

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mineola

White Oak

Jefferson

Quitman

Harmony

Sabine

I have all faith in Coach Iske, but replacing that many starters is scary. Yes, Mineola was young last year. Even then, their freshman QB was tough to stop when he was on. With him leading a lot of returners, I think they are the team to beat. I don't know much about Jefferson, but I hear they always have guys who can go. I think Harmony will be down compared to last year and that Quitman will squeeze into the playoffs for the first time in forever.

Jefferson

Mineola 1 and 2 could flip flop

White Oak

Sabine

Harmony

Quitman

Not a homer pick, but this is the Senior class that has only lost I believe 6 games since the seventh grade EXCEPT for last season if this class isn't in the top 2 with what WO and Harmony Lost last season I would be surprised.

Coupled with several JRs that will contribute and a few very talented SOs, this SR class has a chip on their shoulder and a couple strong headed leaders that will hold each other accountable. They will be out to prove a point.

Mineola is in the same spot as Jefferson that's why I picked them the way I did. They have an awesome group of seniors that are thirsty for a long run. And the returning Juniors and returning skills positions, Mineola should take the District title. They only have a few positions that needed filling on both sides of the ball, but with some of the young men that are coming back to play after being out of football a year and some of the players moving up, I think they have already filled all the vacant spots that were needing filled.

I know practices haven't started yet and many things could change. But I am with you Duckaholic ... One and two should be Mineola and Jefferson by the end of the Season. ..so the game on 10-24 should be a very good game!

I don't really know much about Jefferson. I am sure they have athletes as usual, and a few big linemen. The real question is do they have discipline. This is what has killed Jefferson over the past few years.

MeanGreen, you hit the nail on the head.

I don't really know much about Jefferson. I am sure they have athletes as usual, and a few big linemen. The real question is do they have discipline. This is what has killed Jefferson over the past few years.

100% correct, that is why I made mention of the strong headed SRs to hold wrong doers accountable. Athletes AS usual, Big linemen means nothing ask WO they averaged 175 lbs across the line last few years, and one of the best O lineman to come threw Jefferson was only 170 lbs the day he graduated, so SIZE MEANS absolutely NOTHING and still means nothing to this day. Jefferson O Line was HUGE last year and the DIRTIEST player on the field after every game was the quarterback.

Just read in the local paper that Sr. Trevor Keener has been chosen to play in the Blue/Grey All American Bowl game at ATT stadium on Dec. 14. Watching Trevor play these last few seasons it is no surprise that he was picked, he is extremely hard to block and when he gets ahold of the ball carrier they don't get away. Good luck to Trevor and hope that he has a great season with the Jackets.

http://www.themineolamonitor.com/news/2014-08-06/News/MHS_senior_chosen_to_play_in_All_American_Bowl.html