🟡 Libertarian?

chase.colston

Which one are you???  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Which philosophy to you believe yourself to be a follower of?

• Authoritarian Collectivist
    • Libertarian Individualist

You can't agree with guys like Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh if you don't listen to them. I don't listen to the opinions of others who call themselves experts and feel like every one of their opinions are factual. I let God be the expert on my life.

I don't have a family (yet), but I make a real paycheck and have real bills, just like most every other "young person" on this board. But it's not about being a conservative or a liberal to me. The only label I want to have is being a follower of Jesus Christ, and not following an endless line of hate and arguing between groups of people.

• Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was using the Hannity and Rush thing as an example. I never have time to listen to Rush and I only catch Hannity on his show on Fox when there is no football going on....lol.. You don't have to believe a THING that either one of them says to be conservative. I really don't think that there are any true conservatives anymore. The libertarians are the closest that I can find.

Colmesneilfan1 -- agree with you fiscally, but I part with the Rush/Sean crowd socially.

I have never understood why "the right" is so passionate about keeping the government out of their wallets, but don't mind using government invasions of one's personal life as a campaign ploy.

A candidate's opinion on gay marriage and abortion means as much to me as who they think is going to win the Super Bowl ...

That is exactly the reason that I tend to favor the libertarian view on things. I don't really care about the social things. I'm against abortion and gay marriage due to my religious views and my upbringing and not anything that a political party says. That is a personal choice that I have made based on my understanding of the Word of God. I am a very strict constructionist when it comes to the Constitution, so I vote GOP because they are closer to my beliefs than the Democrats. I long for the day when the Libertarian Party or the Constitution Party can field viable candidates so that we can have real debate and real choices when we step into the voting booth. The Democrats and the Republicans of today basically believe in the SAME thing except on a couple of issues. I hate the fact that I have to choose the lesser of evils for governor this election cycle, instead of choosing someone who believes in the things that I do.

Wow Colmes, I completely agree with you.

Though I tend to be about equal in whom I vote for, even though I shy away from races that I know nothing about (If there's even another choice around here, so many uncontested races).

I feel so left out with the major party politics. My big thing about voting and opinions is states rights and smaller government. Neither of which are a concern of either party or the existing federal government.

I don't think government has a place in personal choice either, but more from the standpoint that it hasn't worked in the past (Prohibition), still doesn't really work now (War on Drugs), and usually just makes people mad and leads to even more extreme things. But I've spent hours trying to discern the line between personal choice and governmental responsibility to protect the rights of others for the greater good (Which seems to be a non-issue for today’s politicians).

Everyone on here should try to band together and get a candidate elected who thinks like we do. The only way we are going to change the way things are right now is to get a grassroots campaign going. I would LOVE to see Condi Rice run for President, but I think she is tainted by the politics of the day. I actually voted for Alan Keyes in the 2000 GOP primary. Everyone should check out his views on the Constitutiion and maybe we can all get behind him in a grassroot movement.

That is why we are so polarized as voters. We should look at more than just one issue. The President has to have Congress behind him to get things like that changed. I think he would do a lot of good as President. He may fail in getting abortion banned, but in my opinion, he would get a lot of other things back on track. He's not the only one out there who could make things better. We just need to get together and let the GOP and the Democrats know that the status quo is no longer acceptable to We The People. We need to ban together and let the powers that be know that we will no longer vote on emotional issues, but we will support those candidates who adhere to the Constitution. I'd even vote for you, if you ran on the real issues instead of the ones that keep us fighting amoung ourselves and keep getting the people elected whose only concern is getting re-elected so that they can draw their pension.

• 5 months later...

The Ron Paul FREEDOM PRINCIPLES

Rights belong to individuals, not groups.

Property should be owned by people, not government.

All voluntary associations should be permissible -- economic and social.

The government's monetary role is to maintain the integrity of the monetary unit, not participate in fraud.

Government exists to protect liberty, not to redistribute wealth or to grant special privileges.

The lives and actions of people are their own responsibility, not the government's.

It's probably not even a long shot, but I fully support Ron Paul for president in 2008. The man has the absolute right idea of what federal government's role in our lives should be.

He's one of the extreme few in politics who still understands and believes in the rights of states and local governments.

Guest bleedsbluengold24
Originally posted by Colmesneilfan1

The Ron Paul FREEDOM PRINCIPLES

Rights belong to individuals, not groups.

Property should be owned by people, not government.

All voluntary associations should be permissible -- economic and social.

The government's monetary role is to maintain the integrity of the monetary unit, not participate in fraud.

Government exists to protect liberty, not to redistribute wealth or to grant special privileges.

The lives and actions of people are their own responsibility, not the government's.

Got my vote. I especially like that "actions of people are their own responsibilty" part. Imagine that, personal responsibility. Not having to be protected from yourself by some government mandate.

And for those of you who don't know who Dr. Ron Paul is;

http://www.house.gov/paul/bio.shtml

Guest bleedsbluengold24

I can only hope your infantile spelling is intentional, meant for effect.

What is something is when someone espouses common sense, regardless of who it is, and no one listens.

Our government is too big, our people to PC. Too many people want someone else to take care of them, and absolve themselves of individual, personal responsibility. I'm glad Dr. Paul has the granite fixtures not only to espouse these beliefs, but stand up for them.

If Dr. Paul had these same "Freedom Principles" and was a Democrat, would you guys still feel the same about him? My guess is that you would not.

I will be waiting for the post that says he wouldn't have the same "Freedom Principles" if he was a Democrat because Democrats are all communists.

He's a lifetime member of the Libertarian party and ran on their ticket years ago. My guess is that he wanted to get elected in Texas, and ran and won as a Republican.

To me, of course, it wouldn't matter what party he's from. I vote Libertarian often, anyway.

Guest bleedsbluengold24
Originally posted by woodgie07

If Dr. Paul had these same "Freedom Principles" and was a Democrat, would you guys still feel the same about him? My guess is that you would not.

Wrong.

Guest CNOrtega

He's right and he's wrong on some of these.

1. Rights belong to individuals, not groups.

Wrong. Rights belong to individuals and groups.

2. Property should be owned by people, not government.

Wrong. Private property should be owned by people. Public, or government, property should be owned by the government.

3. All voluntary associations should be permissible -- economic and social.

I'll go with that.

4. The government's monetary role is to maintain the integrity of the monetary unit, not participate in fraud.

A misguided view. Where there's money, there will be fraud. 100% of the time.

5. Government exists to protect liberty, not to redistribute wealth or to grant special privileges.

I'll go with him on that, too.

6. The lives and actions of people are their own responsibility, not the government's.

Yes and no. There's certain times where the government needs to step in and intervene. Not often, but they do happen. Basically, the government needs to act as the referee of our everyday goings on.

Guest bleedsbluengold24

The government needs to keep its nose out of my business. I'm a law-abiding citizen who pays my taxes. Why then should the government need to referee my everday goings on?

And oh BTW CNO, you might want to check the Constitution. It says that "we" (individuals) are endowed with certain inalienable rights. I didn't see the part where groups were.

I like a lot of what I have read about him and would support him. Reality is, he's not even on the radar screen when all the contenders and long shots are mentioned. What chance does he really have of getting the nomination as a Republican? Virtually no one has even heard of him outside Texas.

True, but we all know people outside of Texas. I know a lot of them. That is why we, the people, need to start getting the word out. The internet is a wonderful way to get a message out to a LOT of people. If the effort were begun ASAP, who knows what kind of response we would get. I've definitely been singing the praises of Rep. Paul to everyone that I know. Let's get the grassroots fired up and re-take our country......

If he was a Democrat and believed this I would support him.

I will be waiting for the post that says he wouldn't have the same "Freedom Principles" if he was a Democrat because Democrats are all communists.

"Liberal" Democrats mirror the communist party not all Democrats.

• 1 year later...

Former Republican Rep. Bob Barr is now the Libertarian Party's presidential nominee — and a potential headache for John McCain, as he reaches out to conservative voters who might otherwise vote for the GOP nominee in November.

Bob Barr has clashed with his former party over fiscal policy, arguing they no longer uphold the ideals of fiscal conservatism.

The former Georgia congressman — who left the Republican Party two years ago, citing differences on and concerns over civil liberties — was nominated on the sixth ballot at the party’s convention in Denver. The vote on the sixth ballot was 324 for Barr, and 276 for Mary Ruwart, the last remaining candidate out of 14 originally seeking the Libertarian nomination.

• Mr. P changed the title to 🟡 Libertarian?