Running a certain system even when you don't have the athletes for it...

blitzem

I'd like to hear your thoughts on when a coach is dead set on running a certain system, but really doesn't have the athletes for it. For example, Lindale has always been a spread team, but they really won't have the athletes for it this year. They really have zero options for qb and maybe 1 legit receiver. Yet the HC insists on running the spread and won't even think of running the option, etc. Even though he has athletes better suited for it.

Thoughts?

A coach should play a offensive that is suited to the athletes he has available question would then be,,,, does he realize he has the athletes or not. Ive seen coaches that couldn't do anything with the good athletes and I have seen other coaches that didn't have squat and made me wonder how in the heck is he winning with that bunch....:)

Coach also has to coach what he knows best. Changing system is way more complicated than just running different formations and plays. A coaches knowledge and experience is the adjustments they can make as the game progresses. With that being said, if you don't have the players for that year, you just do the best you can. If you are changing every year or 2 then you will never develop a program that will win over the long haul. In most smaller schools(old 3A and down) you don't always have the privilege to reload. You have to teach what you know best.

Jumping out of a system that has proven successful just because you think you lack athletes with skills suited to it for a couple of years would be a mistake. Good coaching, discipline and execution will take you a long way, regardless of what system you're running.

Thanks for the feedback. Lots of good input. I agree, Lindale should be able to find a qb out of all the kids in the school. To tell you the truth, the best candidate for qb spot is Coach Meador's son who will be a sophomore.he is a much smarter player than the current qb, but a little less athletic. It's been talked about one of our best athletes playing qb, but he can't throw very well and did not take any reps at qb during 7 on 7.

And I agree, it is hard to change a system that you've always done if you think you can go back to it in a year or 2. And I don't think the current OC has the knowledge to install anything new.

Just a hard situation when you're in a district like ours and really aren't sure we'll complete many passes in a spread offense. That's not a good sign. Lol. We have a few kids that could be strong running backs if they'll give them the ball. Hopefully we'll have some changes once 2 a days gets rolling.

Lol. I don't have any problem with the OC. This is only his second year as a coordinator and from what I've seen and heard he's not comfortable yet changing the offense. You've got to be confident in yourself as a coach before you can convince the kids your way is the best.

Lindale will be down some on both lines this year, so that definitely doesn't help either.

Haha. Ok btex. I'll just let you think what you want. No skin off my back. I know much more than you think, but have no reason to explain myself to you. This is a message board after all. Do yourself a favor and watch some film from last season, then tell me what you think. I hope they prove me wrong, I really do. But only time will tell.

Fans from every other team from East Texas get on here and talk about what their team should and should not be doing and you don't say a word. So you obviously have a tie to Lindale or you have been burned and feel like it's your job to police everyone else.

Like I said, I hope the Eagles prove me wrong with my opinions (they are that by the way...as I said, it's a message board). But you watch some film from last year and get back to me and tell me how sound we were offensively and how you couldn't predict every single play that was coming.

Haha. Ok btex. I'll just let you think what you want. No skin off my back. I know much more than you think, but have no reason to explain myself to you. This is a message board after all. Do yourself a favor and watch some film from last season, then tell me what you think. I hope they prove me wrong, I really do. But only time will tell.

Fans from every other team from East Texas get on here and talk about what their team should and should not be doing and you don't say a word. So you obviously have a tie to Lindale or you have been burned and feel like it's your job to police everyone else.

Like I said, I hope the Eagles prove me wrong with my opinions (they are that by the way...as I said, it's a message board). But you watch some film from last year and get back to me and tell me how sound we were offensively and how you couldn't predict every single play that was coming.

Well said! To win you have to adapt IMO if you don't have the athletes for a system change it vice versa.

LE tried to run Power the whole time Brady was HC but didn't have the Lineman and had too many skill players! The only year it worked was when we had Carson but we had so many skill players that it made me sick that we were one dimensional. The only time we got the ball to our athletes was 06

Had a good qb in 06

Lol. You're so far off, but I'll just keep letting you think I'm just some arm chair coach sitting in the bleachers.

And I don't know much about LE's past staff, but in general I think there are some schools who do a good job of developing qb's from the younger grades up and some that don't. You can give him a hard time and ask him about the hours, but it doesn't make him wrong. Some coaches make qb development a high priority and some don't.

Lol. You're so far off, but I'll just keep letting you think I'm just some arm chair coach sitting in the bleachers.

And I don't know much about LE's past staff, but in general I think there are some schools who do a good job of developing qb's from the younger grades up and some that don't. You can give him a hard time and ask him about the hours, but it doesn't make him wrong. Some coaches make qb development a high priority and some don't.

Meant development not time

I love how folks can be in complete denial. Coaching was an issue for Henderson lady year and it showed. In fact I could see at the first scrimmage and was called a bad fan cause I said what everyone was thinking lol.

Yes, I remember that. Everyone was on you because you said the defense was bad. And y'all got a new DC for this year, right?

Sometimes people can't open their eyes and see what's going on.

And btex I have no personal issue with the OC. This issue has been going on in Lindale for several years. We had enough WR's for awhile to pull it off and decent qb's, but the play calling has been predictable for years. It just hasn't shown as much until we moved to 4A and the competition changed drastically.

Do you not think that talent and hard work have a lot to do with that?

Talent and hard work have a TON to do with it, BUT they still have to have someone to teach them and guide them. You can't expect a qb to develop on their own. Do you think Gilmer, Whitehouse, etc just say at the end of the season "Well, we'll work on it again in August. " ?

Put on your calendar...August 28th (Thurs. night)...in your back yard @ Trinity Mother Francis...Liberty Eylau & Gilmer square off in 1st game of the season...the Buckeyes start developing our QB's early on with genetic tests, selected parental candidates, best training money can buy, recruiting non-skilled players (we develop all our own skilled guys), & live in a town that next season starts the day after State Championships. Maybe you will be able to take some hints home with you...LE will have a quarterback...we will see how he adapts to the Black Flag Defense...I sure he will do fine.

^^^ Lol! "Winning is where preparation meets opportunity."

I truly believe it's not necessarily the system you run. It's how you develop the talent to run that system. It takes parents, coaches, and the students to all be on the same page for several years, and not just during the season, for a player to develop into all he can be at any given position. To be really successful, and to excel at any position takes the right parenting, coaching, and development.

So you have an issue with the OC and the way he coaches and calls plays? Yet they avg 25 a game and gave up 48..... So you believe that if they avg 30 a game it would have made a difference? You have an issue with the guy or you wouldn't have mentioned what you did on several threads just have the guts to say yes I do have an issue, at least that is respectable. Oh an perhaps the fact that Lindale has had issues competing at the 4A level while doing much better at the 3A level has more to do with the competition than the coaching.

The competition ia definitely a huge part, there is no arguing that. My point from the beginning is sometimes you have to change what you do to adapt for those issues. Just because you've done it in the past doesn't mean it will always work. You have to adjust for your situation.

^^^ Lol! "Winning is where preparation meets opportunity."

I truly believe it's not necessarily the system you run. It's how you develop the talent to run that system. It takes parents, coaches, and the students to all be on the same page for several years, and not just during the season, for a player to develop into all he can be at any given position. To be really successful, and to excel at any position takes the right parenting, coaching, and development.

I completely agree. You need the to whole package or you're not going to get the results you want. So many people today want success without putting any work in. They think they deserve it.An unfortunate product of pur time I guess.

Put on your calendar...August 28th (Thurs. night)...in your back yard @ Trinity Mother Francis...Liberty Eylau & Gilmer square off in 1st game of the season...the Buckeyes start developing our QB's early on with genetic tests, selected parental candidates, best training money can buy, recruiting non-skilled players (we develop all our own skilled guys), & live in a town that next season starts the day after State Championships. Maybe you will be able to take some hints home with you...LE will have a quarterback...we will see how he adapts to the Black Flag Defense...I sure he will do fine.

Love the humor too bad were gonna send the Bucs back down the road with a L and drive right through your town on the way back to Texarkana to celebrate lol