Schools turning out coaches

Bobcatfan1

I was wondering how many schools in east texas are turning out football coaches. At Hallsville under Roger Adams and David Plunk, I can think of at least 8 young men have entered the profession. That's just football. I just was wondering if other schools have many kids that take that career path.

I was wondering how many schools in east texas are turning out football coaches. At Hallsville under Roger Adams and David Plunk, I can think of at least 8 young men have entered the profession. That's just football. I just was wondering if other schools have many kids that take that career path.

I think Longview has had a few...One we even played against in a playoff game few years back.

Off the top of my head for Marshall......

Our current head coach/AD Clint Harper

James Paige. I think he's in Tatum now. Was at marshall till last year.

Scott Ford is head coach at EF.

The current head baseball coach at ETBU is a Marshall grad that played on those great 5A teams we had in the late 90s and early 2000s.

Jeff Welch. I think he's at Pine Tree now.

Allison Ratcliff is the head softball coach at Chapel Hill.

The new softball coach for Marshall is an MHS product.

Trey Hobson just took over the soccer program at Marshall this year and he's an MHS grad.

Isn't Reyes down in Nac from marshall too?

I'll see if I can come up with some others.

White Oak: Marshall Sartain and Tyler Simmons are at Spring Hill under Marshall's dad Mark who is a former WO AD/HC, Tyler Terry is at Tatum, Skylar Stagner is at WO, Jerry Blankenship and his son Craig (Craig is at Ore City, Jerry is retired but has been at several ET schools including Ore City, Spring Hill, Harmony and White Oak), Tracy Blankenship and his son Klint (Tracy is AD/HC at Ore City and Klint is an assistant at Kilgore), Jamie Salter who is also an assistant at Ore City, I believe Ron Boyett is a WO alum as well as WO's well respected head basketball coach, Bobby Dyess who I believe is out of coaching now but has spent time at WO, Kilgore, Bullard, Troup and maybe more schools. That's all off the top of my head, I'm sure I am missing some.

Joaquin graduates Steven McCann, Mark Lawrence, Wade and Mike Lawson, and Carrie Orbregon are all on staff here. Jon Jones is at West Sabine, his brother Jared is at Shelbyville. Bradley Gandy is at San Augustine, younger brother Patrick is at Timpson. Brad Larence is at Center. Tom Warlick was AD/ HFC at Karnes City before becoming principal. Shannon Permenter is HFC at Boling. That's the ones I can think of.

White Oak: Marshall Sartain and Tyler Simmons are at Spring Hill under Marshall's dad Mark who is a former WO AD/HC, Tyler Terry is at Tatum, Skylar Stagner is at WO, Jerry Blankenship and his son Craig (Craig is at Ore City, Jerry is retired but has been at several ET schools including Ore City, Spring Hill, Harmony and White Oak), Tracy Blankenship and his son Klint (Tracy is AD/HC at Ore City and Klint is an assistant at Kilgore), Jamie Salter who is also an assistant at Ore City, I believe Ron Boyett is a WO alum as well as WO's well respected head basketball coach, Bobby Dyess who I believe is out of coaching now but has spent time at WO, Kilgore, Bullard, Troup and maybe more schools. That's all off the top of my head, I'm sure I am missing some.

Billy Terry (WO), Brett Cloud (WO), and Colby Carr (Maud I think) are 3 more I forgot

Phil Castles, HC/AD Henderson

David Plunk, HC/AD Hallsville

Whitney Keeling, HC/AD Waskom

Rafe Mata, OC Kilgore

Chad Loper, LB/track Kilgore

Clint Toon, QB's Texas High

Daniel Swaim, Waskom

Lon Roberts, Marlin

Also from Kilgore, Roger Adams AD/HC Union Grove, what about Chris Vallery at Longview?

White Oak also has produced Danny Henderson who is now an asst basketball coach at Boise State. Henderson had about 800 wins and 5 state titles as a Texas high school coach. Seven Armstong, head football coach at Corrigan Camden, is another former WO grad. Hunter Taylor is another grad who last i checked was a grad asst at Baylor. Brett "Pete" Carr is another that has had alot of success...Carr was highly successful at Tatum and is now at Katy Morton Ranch. NFL alum Mike Barber won several state titles coaching at Arlington Grace Prep. Bubba Morton is the head baseball coach at West Rusk and John Eastman has been a successful defensive coordinator for a long time here in East Texas. West Rusk actually has 3 former Roughnecks on their staff...AD/Head Coach John Frazier, asst David Lacy and head baseball coach Bubba Morton. Paul Weaver is another alum coaching hs football in Texas. Paul Cook is on the staff at Malakoff

For the size of school, Linden-Kildare has turned out more than its fair share. Known to most----Scott Surratt, Reno Moore, Derek Simmons, and Chris Smith(now at A&M). Kyle Preston is a coordinator, as is his brother Darren(who didn't graduate from L-K, but spent most of his time there). John David Russell was a head coach for several years. Many others in the coaching ranks.

White Oak also has produced Danny Henderson who is now an asst basketball coach at Boise State. Henderson had about 800 wins and 5 state titles as a Texas high school coach. Seven Armstong, head football coach at Corrigan Camden, is another former WO grad. Hunter Taylor is another grad who last i checked was a grad asst at Baylor. Brett "Pete" Carr is another that has had alot of success...Carr was highly successful at Tatum and is now at Katy Morton Ranch. NFL alum Mike Barber won several state titles coaching at Arlington Grace Prep. Bubba Morton is the head baseball coach at West Rusk and John Eastman has been a successful defensive coordinator for a long time here in East Texas. West Rusk actually has 3 former Roughnecks on their staff...AD/Head Coach John Frazier, asst David Lacy and head baseball coach Bubba Morton. Paul Weaver is another alum coaching hs football in Texas. Paul Cook is on the staff at Malakoff

FWIW, Carr is no longer coaching.

For the size of school, Linden-Kildare has turned out more than its fair share. Known to most----Scott Surratt, Reno Moore, Derek Simmons, and Chris Smith(now at A&M). Kyle Preston is a coordinator, as is his brother Darren(who didn't graduate from L-K, but spent most of his time there). John David Russell was a head coach for several years. Many others in the coaching ranks.

That's pretty impressive... Good coaches.

Snuffy...........I was just listing active coaches..........But yes, Scott Lee had a very successful coaching career..........If you want to list retired coaches, William(Bill) Harper was a Linden alum who was a great coach(L-K, Marshall, Nacogdoches)

Elkhart has turned out a few. The last basketball coach Ryan Blackmon graduated from there, his brother coaches at Troup. And in one graduating class they turned out three head baseball coaches, Micah Blackmon at Cayuga, Austin Evans at Palestine and Brett Myers at Avery

If you are just talking about people in the profession. LK has produced a ton of them. Cotton listed some head coaches previously, but you can add Brandon Green (HS), Scott Green (Lufkin), Cory Pate (HS), Justin Watson ( has coached at a few places not sure where he is now), Craig Fant (ATL) I am sure there are a ton more that we could list.