The Coaches

Birdball

Many times high school coaches are never given the credit they deserve. Most of the time they are criticized by people in their town who don't even have a clue how much they do for the young men in the school. Today coaches do so much more than just coach and teach. They are fathers, counselors, psychologist, psychiatrist, mentors, and role models. Most never hear or feel any appreciation from the public, but they continue to go to work every year. As the season approaches I would like to leave this for the coaches that get on this board.

The Coaches

The coach has no place to hide. He cannot just let the job go for a while or do a bad job and assume no one will notice, as most of us can. He cannot satisfy everyone; seldom can he satisfy very many; rarely does he even satisfy himself.

If he wins now, he must win the next time too. They plot victories, suffer defeats, endure criticism from within and from without. They neglect their families, travel endlessly, and live alone in a spotlight surrounded by others.

Theirs is maybe the worst profession; unreasonably demanding and insecure, and full of unrelenting pressures. Why do they do it? Why do they put up with it?

Having seen them hailed as geniuses in gaudy, party like press conferences, and having seen them fired with such pat phrases as "fool" and "incompetent"; I have wondered about them. Having seen them exalted in victory and depressed by defeat, I have sympathized with them. Having seen some broken by the job and others die from it; one is moved to admire them and hope that someday the world will learn to understand them.

-Author Unknown

To Mike Meador and his staff in my town at Lindale High School... Thank you for all you do for the school and community. Good luck on the season.

Good post. Hard for parents/community members who see their kids just on Friday nights to understand coaching decisions. Coaches not only see those kids on Fridays but for hours during the week and that is not counting off season, film time ect... Its easy to make judgements watching Friday nights.

Keep up the work coaches and good luck this year.