District 15-5A - 2014 Football Discussion Thread

LoboFan07

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree about Greenville. I am still just stunned over the article about their numbers and complete lack of off-season participation. That is really sad

I admit, I'm definitely considering heading over to see their scrimmage at 9 AM Friday just to see how bad it really is.

I agree about Greenville. I am still just stunned over the article about their numbers and complete lack of off-season participation. That is really sad

I watched some film on Greenville last year when they played MP. Just looking at them you'd never guess that they were that bad because they have some big ole boys in the trenches and some pretty good looking athletes at the skill positions. But they all played like it was their first time to ever see a football.

Edit: nm, that was Terrell.

Hallsville and Marshall are hard to call right now. Distinguishing between the two at this point is like pulling hairs. Hallsville has 12 starters back and Marshall has 16, not much difference and Hallsville has a streak going. Keep hearing that many have left the Hallsville program though so Marshall may have that gong for them.

I know one thing, PT isn't losing to MP.

PT hasn't beat MP in about 10 years. Why do you think MP will lose to PT? In my opinion this year will be no different. Everyone is counting MP out. Don't count your eggs before they hatch. Yes they might have a new coach and lost a lot of players but they are excited to play a get this season going. The Tigers are ready to fight. They won't beat Longview or Thigh but they could beat SS and the rest.

PT hasn't beat MP in about 10 years. Why do you think MP will lose to PT? In my opinion this year will be no different. Everyone is counting MP out. Don't count your eggs before they hatch. Yes they might have a new coach and lost a lot of players but they are excited to play a get this season going. The Tigers are ready to fight. They won't beat Longview or Thigh but they could beat SS and the rest.

But that's true of everyone isn't it?

it's August. Longview is excited. Marshall is excited. Hallsville is excited. No reason to think MP and PT wouldn't be too.

Being excited isn't enough.

Otherwise Marshall wouldn't be 6-25 the last 3 seasons.

Being excited, having a worh ethic, coupled with some coaching stability and upperclassmen experience helps. Toss in some talent.... THEN all that can add up to success.

Personally.....I doubt anyone in Marshall is overlooking MP. We remember how we barely escaped that game. And like I said.... 6 wins in 3 seasons has a way of humbling you.

But I doubt Longview, Texarkana, or SS is quaking in their boots over MP, Greenville.... or anyone not named one of those three.

Just my opinion.

Ive liked what i have seen from marshall so far in practice, but will withhold any further predictions on them until after the lee scrimmage friday. Im sticking with 4th or 5th for now. Also wouldnt be surprised to see pine tree battling it out with us and hallsville for playoff spot. The new coach should have them settled in by the time district rolls around. Qb Hays was very impressive last season and should help put up points. The d should be improved as well with coach bowman coming back.

Ive liked what i have seen from marshall so far in practice, but will withhold any further predictions on them until after the lee scrimmage friday. Im sticking with 4th or 5th for now. Also wouldnt be surprised to see pine tree battling it out with us and hallsville for playoff spot. The new coach should have them settled in by the time district rolls around. Qb Hays was very impressive last season and should help put up points. The d should be improved as well with coach bowman coming back.

Yeah, I've mentioned that PT could sneak up on so folks do to the staff assembled there. However, I've read on the 6A board recently about how some LT fans weren't too impressed with Collins' play calling as OC right before he left LT.

So do they look bad or just overmatched.

They didn't look bad at all.

I mean you can tell they're not going to have a good season but the team they were playing had a total of 27 guys, all of whom were undersized.

Greenville was not in shape and the longer it went on, the more you could see it. Their offense was meh, their defense played really well with a ton of big hits. Still live portion ended tied at 7, and controlled was 14-7 Greenville. I was more impressed than I thought I was going to be but it still wouldn't shock me to see them 0-10 after the season.

You sound like an off season optimist that will be looking forward to the 2015 offseason come mid-October.

This sounds like every Pine Tree Offseason. Here are a few trends yearly for Pine Tree:

(1) New Staff

(2) They play hard

(3) Good coaching

(4) Playoff Potential

(5) End Result- Watching the playoffs on Fox Sports SW

I will say for whomever is traveling there this year...there no parking on the home side. Never seen that before. So that should be fun for the joined parking lot. The away side reminds me a lot of Hanby for those that have been there.

But it's out in the middle of no where, with hay barrels extremely prominent. I think the Longview band will take up half of it.

Home side looked really nice across the way.

I will say for whomever is traveling there this year...there no parking on the home side. Never seen that before. So that should be fun for the joined parking lot. The away side reminds me a lot of Hanby for those that have been there.

But it's out in the middle of no where, with hay barrels extremely prominent. I think the Longview band will take up half of it.

Home side looked really nice across the way.

Time it so you get there around 7pm. There'll be plenty of parking. There's plans for a rec/event center north of the stadium where the hay bales are. At least, there were. City Council put a large dent in those plans this week.

There are two reasons for no home side parking: 1) GISD is cheap. Really cheap. Like "they only replaced the torn-up field and track this year because UIL threatened them with an all-road game schedule if they didn't" cheap. 2) The various Greenville student groups set up their fundraisers all along the walkway between the entrance and the home stands to sell their wares. But yeah, mostly 1. Not sure what's worse, the no home side parking, or the embarassingly small visitors' stands.

Lack of off-season participation...I don't know for sure, you never know what's in other people's heads. I do know that 40 L's doesn't exactly do wonders for morale.