District 15-5A - 2014 Football Discussion Thread

LoboFan07

40-game losing streak is officially over! GVL took over the fourth quarter with 17 straight points and survived a last-minute TD and onside kick attempt to defeat North Garland 24-21!

Well done boys! Looks like Greenville, Hallsville, and Marshall were the only ones successful last night.

Mount Pleasant, Longview, and Pine Tree have a ton to work on.

Texas High and Sulphur Springs were close to picking up Ws but couldn't get it done.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15-5A power rankings IMHO

1. Longview- Even with the loss to Lufkin, the Lobos are loaded. Should they lose to JT next week.... they would still be #1. Simply put.... until someone in 15-5A beats them, they shall remain #1. No matter what happens in non-district play.

2. Hallsville- The Bobcats took it to Carthage, a team that has 4 state titles in the last 6 seasons. Granted, the Bulldogs graduated a ton and could be rebuilding in 2014. Fact remains.... the Bobcats beat a team with a lot of pedigree.

3. Texas High- The Tigers barely lost to a WH team that has done a LOT of winning of late. Defense struggled, but a young QB kept Texarkana in the game.

4. Marshall- The Mavs throttled Royse City. Lack of strength of their opponent hurts their standing with Texas High in spite of the 54 points scored.

5. Sulphur Springs- The Wildcats are still giving up points in bushels. They have lived by that for several years..... simply by scoring more. They came up short this week.

6. Greenville- The Lions snapped their 40 game losing streak. Congrats!

7. Pine Tree- The Pirates gave up 60+ points to a team that was 0-10 last year. But they scored plenty of their own, keeping them out of the basement.

8. Mt. Pleasant- Gave up a ton of points to Paris. And mustered very little on offense in being shut out.

That's how I see it.

Other thoughts?

Pretty good summary.

First game in the district looks about as weak as it did last year. I don't put much stock in LV's loss to Lufkin either. They will destroy this district. Was glad to see Greenville get a kick start. That was once a proud program & I would like to see it rebooted. I thought MP would struggle, but I'm a little surprised at how lopsided it really was. Eventhough it was just one game, it looks like the Mavs are on a steady climb. Sulphur is just Sulphur. Score & kill time until they get the ball back.

I can only speak for us, but I can see good & bad in our game. You could tell it was the Soph's first QB start but he did about as well as could be expected. Defense was very disappointing in that they were caught out of position over & over & over. And it looked like they were more focused on stripping the ball than tackling. Conditioning seems to be a MAJOR issue which is something I've not seen that much of before. WH fans thought the players were faking to slow them down (there might have been some of that late) but it didn't seem to matter who had the ball. Every 3 plays somebody was on the deck. Our kicking game has taken a major step backwards.

Thanks, all. But I don't think I'd move us out of 8th just yet. North Garland is not exactly the fiercest of teams, it appears. Don't get me wrong, I would have gladly taken a win over a bunch of blind toddlers with narcolepsy to get rid of that streak, but let's see how we handle Royse City and Princeton (both teams we lost to each of the last two years, four in RC's case) before we start climbing any rankings charts. Baby steps.

New rankings after week 0:

1. Longview

2. Hallsville

3. Texas High

4. Marshall

5. Sulpher Springs

6. Pine Tree

7. Greenville

8. Mp

Mine is the same. Until MP can prove they can stop somebody and move the ball on offense then they will stay at the bottom of the district.

I finally got the Mav roster posted.

http://www.marshallmavericks.net/

Go to the TEAM tab.

Got the staff posted on there too FWIW.

Mavchamp...

You've done an awesome job with that website.

It looks like you've upgraded it and the overall

content is very well done.

Kudos....

RJ

Mavchamp...

You've done an awesome job with that website.

It looks like you've upgraded it and the overall

content is very well done.

Kudos....

RJ

Thanks! It's still a work in progress. Got more in mind....but will be very time consuming to do.

And always open to suggestions.

I've had nothing but great feedback from the boosters and mostly....the fans.

I felt like they deserved it!

Longview has two quality sites

It was time I stepped up the game.....lol.

Go Mavs!

Week 2 predictions

Greenville vs Royse City
Hallsville vs Nacogdoches
Longview vs Tyler John Tyler
Pine Tree vs Gilmer
Marshall at Crandall
Mount Pleasant at Liberty-Eylau
Sulphur Springs vs Sherman
Texas High vs Arkansas High

ROYSE CITY over Greenville- I only know what I've read concerning Greenville. They were playing another team with an incredibly long losing streak..... someone had to win. RC has a great QB and some strong WR's. I'm taking the Bulldogs BIGGGG over Greenville.

HALLSVILLE over Nacogdoches- This game intrigues me. Hallsville completely dismantled a rebuilding Carthage team. Meanwhile Nac needed some heroics to beat a rebuilding Kilgore team. This game on paper looks to be a leaning to a BIG Hallsville win. But I'm taking the Bobcats in a barnburner. And TBH.... would't be shocked to see Nac get the win.

LONGVIEW over John Tyler- The Lobos are MAD. After last week at Old Abe.... Longview will be ready to rock it out at home against a team they have mostly dominated the last decade or so. I'm taking the Lobos in a CLOSE one over JT.

GILMER over Pine Tree- I saw Gilmer assaault Liberty Eylau last week. And PT gave up BIG points to a team that was 0-10 last season. I'm taking Gilmer BIG over PT.

MARSHALL over Crandall- This is the first meeting of the two, so I have very little to go on other than the fact that Crandall appears to be smaller on the lines than RC was. RC struggled with our big offensive and defensive lines. Speed could also be a factor. I'm taking Marshall (homer pick).

LIBERTY EYLAU over Mount Pleasant: In spite of the ugly score, the Leopards actually moved the ball against Gilmer last week. But mistakes killed them (along with a good Buckeye defense). MP struggled offensively.... and defensively last week. While I think the score will be much closer than either teams' scores last week...... taking LE.

SULPHUR SPRINGS over Sherman- This could get UGLY. SS is coming off of a loss, but Sherman is coming off of a beat down in which they gave up 63 points and scored none. The Wildcats should have a field day.

TEXAS HIGH over Arkansas High- I've always said I want to make it to this game one day. Texas is coming off of a bitter tough loss to Whitehouse. They have owned Arkansas of late..... I take the Tigers in a tough battle.

There are my picks!

Last year Bossire Parkway beat Calvary 55-14. The Cavs got some revenge over the state ranked Panthers last night to the tune of 46-27.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/story/sports/high-school/football/2014/09/05/calvary-bothers-parkway-qb-takes-revenge/15114997/

Hopefully the Mavs can take care of some business next weekend at Indy Stadium.

Good luck to everyone tonight!

Mavs finish regular season 10-0 or 9-1...

You're yanking chains. LOL.

After the last 3 years..... I'd be THRILLED with 5-5. Anything above that is a bonus.

We have struggled too much against Longview, Sulphur Springs, and recently Hallsville to be making too many bold predictions.

Until proven otherwise...... the Mavs are still "down" IMHO.

Hallsville hosts Nac tonight. I am looking forward to seeing how the two D1 defensive back prospects for Nac play. I truly expect a good game especially after how well Hallsville played last week against Carthage.

They're good.... fast and physical. One of them (Jones) will probably get some carries on offense too. I thought their QB was extremely good.