District 15-5A - 2014 Football Discussion Thread

LoboFan07

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Week Three Game Articles -

Greenville vs Princeton game article (L 46-34): Princeton hands Lions their first loss

Hallsville vs Athens game article (W 41-21): McCuller leads Bobcats to win

Longview vs Monroe Neville game article (W 19-13): Lobos knock off #2 Monroe Neville for first win

Marshall vs Bossier Parkway game article (L 45-21): Marshall unable to continue winning streak

Mount Pleasant vs Jacksonville game article (L 50-48): Jacksonville 50 Mount Pleasant 48 (no article on MP newspaper site)

Pine Tree vs Kilgore game article (L 40-7): Kilgore pulverizes Pine Tree

Sulphur Springs vs Whitehouse game article (L 56-35): Whitehouse wins turnover battle, game

After watching football in Shreveport this weekend here is what I think. LV is on a different planet as compared to the other schools in the district. SS seems to have improved since the LE scrimmage. I still don't believe that they are very good defensively. Marshall and THS are average at best. Hallsville looks like a lock for second behind LV. Greenville and MP look to finish ahead of PT in an all out battle for last place. Except for Longview this district is pitifully weak.

I wouldn't be shocked to see a tie for 2nd.

Marshall hurt themselves a lot against Parkway, and I really don't understand some of the coaching decisions. But I suspect they'll be a huge test for Longview depending if the Lobos improve enough or not.

I think they'll beat Hallsville to be honest.

Our game against Parkway was UGLY.

We couldn't stop them defensively.

Offensively we should have had 14 more points. Too many trips inside the 20 with no points will kill you. And honestly..... a 45-35 loss makes me feel no better than 45-21. Bleh.

They schooled us.

We still managed over 400 yards of offense and still got ran out of the stadium. The dropped passes were killer. We've got to catch passes that perfectly thrown. Unreal.

Parkway played like the state ranked team we knew they were. There is a reason they have lost only 6 games in the last 3-4 years. They are good.

I just expected more than what we showed. Very disappointing.

Longview, as I have thought all season, is sandbagging. And they are clearly the best team in 15-5A without any discussion needed.

Hallsville looks strong. But you have to wonder.... considering they beat a Carthage team that is clearly rebuilding. Lost to a Nac team in the final seconds I'm still suspect of and beat an Athens team I don't think is very good.

Texas High appears to be struggling offensively. Will they be able to stop Halls, Marshall, and Longview offenses.... who appear to be having good success against everyone. I'm not sure they are my clear cut #2 anymore.

SS has the offense as always..... but as always..... defense is nowhere to be found.

MP is struggling...... PT is struggling even more. Greenville is improved over their recent history.

Nac.....I saw them Friday Vs.Carthage. They have a great offense. Defensively they struggle against the run. Carthage moved the ball against them. TWICE the Bulldogs got inside the TWO yardline and failed to score. Even with 14 more points, Carthage would have lost to Nac..... but it would have been a MUCH closer game. Which makes me scratch my head about Hallsville, who played both Nac and Carthage.

As a Mav fan....I've got to hope (outside of Longview) that no one is 15-5A is as good as Parkway is. I honestly don't think anyone is. They aren't playing like it if they are.

Updated standings for me......

1. Longview- I didn't believe the sandbagging before seeing them in person. Even more convinced some Lobo fans are beyond spoiled with the way they have carried on the last 3 weeks. Ridiculous. Just. As. I. Had. Expected. Lobos don't beak a sweat until bi-district.

2. Sulphur Springs- offense keeps on ticking. Defense isn't really needed when you can score 40+ a game.

3. Hallsville- I'm still suspect....but I'm giving them the edge over Marshall.

4. Marshall- looks like the Mavs are going to score points (i.e. Sulphur Srings). Defense.....esp against the run is sketchy.

5. Texas High- The Tigers are struggling offensively. That's going to be tough when it looks like Longview, SS, Hallsville, and Marshall are all putting up big offensive numbers.

6. The offensive explosion against LE bumped them ahead of the other 2.

7. Greenville is much improved over the last few years. Congrats to them.

8. Pine Tree. Defense is worse than 2013's version. Ouch.

I can see Texas High being 50:50 to make the playoffs. I'm hoping for improvement as the season goes, but offense is pretty weak so far. Jury is out on defense. They held Ark High down, but so did LE. Neither side of the ball is strong. If I were a betting man right now I don't think we can do better than 5th. Things don't look to get any better this week vs Kilgore

I just can't see the Tigers not making the post season, especially in a district like this.

My updated picks after seeing a couple of the teams and reading a lot...

1) Longview

2) Marshall

3) Sulphur Springs

4) Texas High

5) Hallsville

6) Greenville

7) Mount Pleasant

1094) Pine Tree

Offensively we should have had 14 more points. Too many trips inside the 20 with no points will kill you. And honestly..... a 45-35 loss makes me feel no better than 45-21. Bleh.

They schooled us.

We still managed over 400 yards of offense and still got ran out of the stadium. The dropped passes were killer. We've got to catch passes that perfectly thrown. Unreal.

Parkway played like the state ranked team we knew they were. There is a reason they have lost only 6 games in the last 3-4 years. They are good.

Longview, as I have thought all season, is sandbagging. And they are clearly the best team in 15-5A without any discussion needed.

Hallsville looks strong. But you have to wonder.... considering they beat a Carthage team that is clearly rebuilding. Lost to a Nac team in the final seconds I'm still suspect of and beat an Athens team I don't think is very good.

Texas High appears to be struggling offensively. Will they be able to stop Halls, Marshall, and Longview offenses.... who appear to be having good success against everyone. I'm not sure they are my clear cut #2 anymore.

SS has the offense as always..... but as always..... defense is nowhere to be found.

MP is struggling...... PT is struggling even more. Greenville is improved over their recent history.

Nac.....I saw them Friday Vs.Carthage. They have a great offense. Defensively they struggle against the run. Carthage moved the ball against them. TWICE the Bulldogs got inside the TWO yardline and failed to score. Even with 14 more points, Carthage would have lost to Nac..... but it would have been a MUCH closer game. Which makes me scratch my head about Hallsville, who played both Nac and Carthage.

As a Mav fan....I've got to hope (outside of Longview) that no one is 15-5A is as good as Parkway is. I honestly don't think anyone is. They aren't playing like it if they are.

1. Longview- I didn't believe the sandbagging before seeing them in person. Even more convinced some Lobo fans are beyond spoiled with the way they have carried on the last 3 weeks. Ridiculous. Just. As. I. Had. Expected. Lobos don't beak a sweat until bi-district.

2. Sulphur Springs- offense keeps on ticking. Defense isn't really needed when you can score 40+ a game.

4. Marshall- looks like the Mavs are going to score points (i.e. Sulphur Srings). Defense.....esp against the run is sketchy.

5. Texas High- The Tigers are struggling offensively. That's going to be tough when it looks like Longview, SS, Hallsville, and Marshall are all putting up big offensive numbers.

They didn't explode against LE? I think it was Jacksonville

They schooled us.

Hmmmm.......so, you've seen Nac and the Pack this year? what's your opinion about our game in a few weeks?

Hmmmm.......so, you've seen Nac and the Pack this year? what's your opinion about our game in a few weeks?

To be straight to the point......

I think Lufkin is going to school Nac. And it's going to be U G L Y.

I hope not, because I love rivalry games. But I honestly expect it.

Lufkin had every chance to beat a VERY GOOD John Curtis team Saturday...... but the mistakes were too great to overcome. As a side note.... the game was the highlight of the weekend.

Lufkin's defense was pretty tough against a very good team. But some breakdowns killed them. Not to mention..... LP's schedule has prepared them for a tough game.

-------

Nac's offense is very good. A lot more balanced than John Curtis'..... but.... I don't think Nac has near the hogs JC did. Nac has a QB that can find the open man and the running game keeps a defense honest.

Nac also showed they can give up a lot of yards too. Carthage moved the ball pretty well. And those 2 trips inside the 2 yardline with ZERO points killed their chances of making that a exciting football game. This is a Carthage team in a rebuilding mode. And they moved the ball pretty well on Nac.

Lufkin's offense is ten times better than Carthage's. That spells trouble for the Nac defense IMHO.

Just my thoughts though...... but my bet is on LP laying some wood on Nac.

But I hope Nac proves me wrong. Rivalries are better when the winning is shared ;)

OK, I'm just testing this out. Not much of an artist, but I wanted to see how this turns out on an actual board. If the graphic is too big, let me know and I'll try to shrink it down. Got the logos from wherever I could find them, sorry if they're a bit skewed or not up to date. These are next week's games on here; again, just a bye week test. Couple of notes:

1) I didn't draw the helmets from scratch, obviously. Photoshop template. But you work with what you got. I also claim no ownership over anything on here.

2) I saw Mount Pleasant's helmets from last year. Nope. I'll stick with the Mizzou helmets.

3) I stink at stripes, so don't look for those either.

4) Why Greenville on top? Because it's my graphic, that's why. :)

5) That's about as detailed as it's gonna get. You guys are smarter than I, you can handle the team/game notes yourself. :)

If ya'll would rather I not do this, I won't. Just thought it'd be a bit different.

cb9c2735-9973-46a7-bd73-8cff4b017169.png

OK, I'm just testing this out. Not much of an artist, but I wanted to see how this turns out on an actual board. If the graphic is too big, let me know and I'll try to shrink it down. Got the logos from wherever I could find them, sorry if they're a bit skewed or not up to date. These are next week's games on here; again, just a bye week test. Couple of notes:

1) I didn't draw the helmets from scratch, obviously. Photoshop template. But you work with what you got. I also claim no ownership over anything on here.

2) I saw Mount Pleasant's helmets from last year. Nope. I'll stick with the Mizzou helmets.

3) I stink at stripes, so don't look for those either.

4) Why Greenville on top? Because it's my graphic, that's why. :)

5) That's about as detailed as it's gonna get. You guys are smarter than I, you can handle the team/game notes yourself. :)

If ya'll would rather I not do this, I won't. Just thought it'd be a bit different.

cb9c2735-9973-46a7-bd73-8cff4b017169.png

Absolutely amazing.

Oh, you guys will be on top soon enough. Had to give us dregs a chance first. :)

Thanks.

Could be worse...I almost split it up into the "I-30 Division" (which we're all alone in first in...for now) and the "I-20 Division." Since there's an even 4 teams along each Interstate. Just bear with me, I get stupid ideas sometimes.