District 15-5A - 2014 Football Discussion Thread

LoboFan07

Eh, I think the main thing is that every other team outside of Longview is unbelievably inconsistent. We were as well early on, but it's just a different level of football right now for the Lobos than what we saw in those first three weeks.

I can't figure out Hallsville and Texas High are all. And I know for a fact that Marshall is better than what the showed last night.

Hallsville has struggled the last two games because they cannot hold onto the ball. Defense has been stellar.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Mavchamp....

Outside of Longview, 15-5A is not strong...

Longview is the only team in 15-5A that has a good enough team to advance past 1st or perhaps 2nd round of the playoffs this year.

16-5A is loaded up... with at least 2 strong teams (JT, Ennis) and 3 additional teams that could go a round or two deep in the playoffs..(Nac, Lufkin, Whitehouse)

I agree

with Mavchamp....

Outside of Longview, 15-5A is not strong...

Longview is the only team in 15-5A that has a good enough team to advance past 1st or perhaps 2nd round of the playoffs this year.

16-5A is loaded up... with at least 2 strong teams (JT, Ennis) and 3 additional teams that could go a round or two deep in the playoffs..(Nac, Lufkin, Whitehouse)[/quote

Bobcat76...

I really believe that if Longview wins their Bi-District game then they'll be favored against whomever the opponent is from the greater NE Metroplex area for at least the 2nd & 3rd round of the playoffs.

Of course, winning that 1st round game will mean having to beat one of the two teams that they lost to at the start of the season.

The probability that it will be another meeting with Lufkin is looking highly likely.

Just a little something about one of your playoff contenders...the Whitehouse Wildcats. They will have to win the rest of the games on their schedule just to make the playoffs.

That would mean having to beat Nacogdoches during that season ending win streak. That's not happening...imho !

I think a team like Hallsville could beat Nacogdoches if they had the chance to play them again this season. A one point loss should be motivation enough. The Bobcats will have to clean up their offense to get there first.

So Longview and Hallsville are two teams from 15-5A that might be able to advance come playoff time.

On the whole it's not a stretch to say that the stronger teams are in 16-5A and would be favored in their Bi-District match ups for the most part.

R.J.

Just a little something about one of your playoff contenders...the Whitehouse Wildcats. They will have to win the rest of the games on their schedule just to make the playoffs.

That would mean having to beat Nacogdoches in that season ending win streak. That's not happening...imho !

Incorrect. Whitehouse can lose to Nac but would have to win their other games, but also would need Corsicana to beat Lufkin in the season finale to create a three way tie at 3-4. Obviously they don't want it to happen that way, but it's still possible.

Only teams Longview can face now is Lufkin, Nacogdoches and very very very very slim chances of John Tyler or Corsicana.

On rest of your post, whomever comes out of the Longview/Lufkin (most likely) match up should no doubt be favored until the Quarterfinals. Region II is probably one of the tough regions in 5A D1, but it still isn't much to write home about at all.

And I would definitely give the nod to Hallsville in a rematch after watching both teams multiple times on video.

Since Whitehouse would need help in 3-way tie scenario then I really don't think that's going to happen.

I wouldn't say that my assertion is incorrect. I think it's really unlikely that they make the playoffs unless they win out. Just my opinion.

FWIW...they'll have to beat Corsicana as well...even to get into that 3-way tie scenario you speak of. Who says that one is a certain win ? I don't. They could lose to the Tigers. That one is not a gimme. Think about it....Whitehouse beats Corsicana but Lufkin can't ?

Point blank...should Whitehouse lose to Nacogdoches they hold no tie break advantage whatsoever to claim a playoff spot unless Lufkin and/ or Corsicana both lose two or three more times respectively just for the Wildcats to have that chance.

It could happen but it's really not likely. The odds are against them getting into the playoffs...my take on it.

R.J.

Since Whitehouse would need help in 3-way tie scenario then I really don't think that's going to happen.

I wouldn't say that my assertion is incorrect. I think it's really unlikely that they make the playoffs unless they win out. Just my opinion.

However unlikely it is, could still happen. Marshall still has a chance to go Division I in 15-5A....even if it is ridiculously unlikely, it could still happen.

That said, 16-5A is a point system tiebreaker at first...so not sure who would hold any type of tiebreaker over a certain team until after the season is over and it's calculated.

We'll find out out tomorrow night if Whitehouse can travel to Corsicana to begin their playoff clinching winning streak.

Should they lose...they can break out the basketballs.

While they won't be mathematically eliminated they would have to hope Nacogdoches loses three times for them to have ANY chance to finish tied for fourth with the Dragons.

That's simply not happening either.

If they lose at Corsicana their season will end in three weeks.

R.J.

LoboFan07,

How do you figure Marshall still has a chance to go D1??? You have T-High or Longview not making the playoffs?!?! The only loss either one will have the rest of the way is to each other, therefore Marshall will not be a Division 1 representative of 15-5A. Maybe this was a typo of some sort, not sure, but Marshall's loss to Hallsville was a big blow to their playoff chances. Hallsville/SS winner will be in the driver's seat for the #1 D2 seed out of 15-5A

LoboFan07,

How do you figure Marshall still has a chance to go D1??? You have T-High or Longview not making the playoffs?!?! The only loss either one will have the rest of the way is to each other, therefore Marshall will not be a Division 1 representative of 15-5A. Maybe this was a typo of some sort, not sure, but Marshall's loss to Hallsville was a big blow to their playoff chances. Hallsville/SS winner will be in the driver's seat for the #1 D2 seed out of 15-5A

I didn't say it was my prediction, just like I didn't say it was my prediction Whitehouse would get in.

But Texas High hasn't clinched a spot, and Marshall still has a chance to finish above them...hence they have a shot at D1.

Until it's mathematically impossible, there's still a chance.

JV and Fish standings after last night (again overall records are just the ones I know of)...

JUNIOR VARSITY -
1) Longview (6-0, 3-0)
2) Hallsville (6-0, 3-0)
3) Mount Pleasant (4-2, 3-1)
4) Greenville (2-1, 2-1)
5) Texas High (2-1-1, 1-1-1)
6) Pine Tree (2-5, 1-3)
7) Sulphur Springs (1-5-1, 0-3-1)
8) Marshall (0-7, 0-4)

Junior varsity district scores:
09/25 - Longview 34, Pine Tree 0; Hallsville 9, Marshall 6; Mount Pleasant 20, Greenville 12; Texas High 22, Sulphur Springs 22
10/02 - Longview/Greenville cancelled; Hallsville/Texas High cancelled; Pine Tree 21, Marshall 14; Mount Pleasant 14, Sulphur Springs 7
10/09 - Longview 34, Marshall 6; Texas High 14, Pine Tree 0; Greenville 32, Sulphur Springs 17; Hallsville 15, Mount Pleasant 0
10/16 - Longview 49, Texas High 21; Greenville 26, Marshall 0; Mount Pleasant 18, Pine Tree 10; Hallsville 27, Sulphur Springs 6

FRESHMEN -
1) Longview (6-1, 4-0)
2) Marshall (5-2, 3-1)
3) Sulphur Springs (4-2-1, 3-1)
4) Texas High (3-1, 2-1)
5) Hallsville (1-3, 1-2)
6) Greenville (1-3, 1-3)
7) Mount Pleasant (2-4, 1-3)
8) Pine Tree (0-5, 0-3)

Freshmen district scores:
09/25 - Longview 51, Pine Tree 7; Marshall 28, Hallsville 14; Greenville 30, Mount Pleasant 12; Texas High 10, Sulphur Springs 6
10/02 - Longview 26, Greenville 14; Hallsville/Texas High cancelled; Marshall 41, Pine Tree 0; Sulphur Springs 27, Mount Pleasant 6
10/09 - Longview 40, Marshall 7; Texas High 44, Pine Tree 0; Sulphur Springs 17, Greenville 7; Hallsville beat Mount Pleasant (score?)
10/16 - Longview 17, Texas High 8; Marshall 7, Greenville 6; Mount Pleasant 41, Pine Tree 12; Sulphur Springs 49 Hallsville 14

Considering how poorly Texas High, Hallsville, Marshall, and SS have played at times...... it's not out of the realm of possibility that any of them couldn't beat the other.

PT had the Tigers on the rope in the 4th quarter...... that's mind boggling.

Texas High isn't unbeatable like Longview seems to be.

I still don't know how we lost to Hallsville. Esp when you look at the stats from that game..... but we made the costly mistake (turnover) and they did not.

Should be a fun final stretch.

We'll find out out tomorrow night if Whitehouse can travel to Corsicana to begin their playoff clinching winning streak.

Should they lose...they can break out the basketballs.

While they won't be mathematically eliminated they would have to hope Nacogdoches loses three times for them to have ANY chance to finish tied for fourth with the Dragons.

That's simply not happening either.

If they lose at Corsicana their season will end in three weeks.

R.J.

Like I said, until it's clinched, anything can happen.