Overton at Grapeland (scrimmage)

Mr. P

Overton at Grapeland, 9 a.m. Saturday at Sandies Stadium

yegoiTt.jpgM3ESalS.jpg

Yeah yeah, I get it, it's just a scrimmage — no one's trying to "win" or anything. But what are some things you're hoping to see out of your kids?

Grapeland and Overton are both two young teams trying to turn their programs around. I don't know where the Sandies are in this process, but the Mustangs have a lot of young, raw talent. While there's only three or four seniors, there's a bunch of sophomores who started last year — and some gifted freshmen coming up. Barton & Co. believe in starting the best 11 guys on a side, so seniority doesn't count for squat if you don't put out. I've seen and heard good things coming outta practice thus far, Saturday is a chance to see how much progress has been made... or if we need to go back to the drawing board.

Thoughts?

Someone else posted Overton has 11.

We're up to 14 now... Doomer's twin nephews Herbie and Bernie transferred in. They're a coupla speedy rascals, but I'm not sure if they'll be able to stay away from the squeezins for two whole halves of football. Bootney Lee Farnsworth Jr. (6-6, 120lbs) also decided to come out for the team, but with his lazy-eye and club-feet, I reckon he won't get much playing time.

We're up to 14 now... Doomer's twin nephews Herbie and Bernie transferred in. They're a coupla speedy rascals, but I'm not sure if they'll be able to stay away from the squeezins for two whole halves of football. Bootney Lee Farnsworth Jr. (6-6, 120lbs) also decided to come out for the team, but with his lazy-eye and club-feet, I reckon he won't get much playing time.

Try to make sure Herbie and Bernie don't spike the Gatorade! Why do you think Deadwood had to close their school after Doomer's senior year? Because of that, they lost the last ever Deadwood/ Galloway grudge match.

Why do you think Deadwood had to close their school after Doomer's senior year? Because of that, they lost the last ever Deadwood/ Galloway grudge match.

Shoot, we probably wouldn't even have a team if it wasn't for all the Sexton City ringers we recruit.

Grapeland doesn't have a jv?

Oh really? Welp, that means our JV hung tight with their varsity. ;) Huh, fancy that.

But the official word from Overton (based on game film) is that both 1st teams went 15 plays each, and each scored on each other. Then, during a 24-minute running-clock half, Overton's varsity scored twice to Grapeland varsity's none. Later, the Sandies varsity scored a couple times on the Overton JV defense. So, that makes the overall score for the scrimmage a 3-3 tie, which I'm told is equivalent to kissing one's sister... though I wouldn't know, as I've never played in a game that ended in a tie or made out with my sisters.

The consensus I've received from the other O-town "daddy coaches" is that we showed occasional flashes, but were mostly inconsistent. Defense needs to play more physical, and our secondary needs to get their heads outta their keisters, but the o-line is mustard and our backfield is a three-headed monster. I'm excited though, we're showing steady improvement. I know our coaches will keep their foots up our kids butts all week.

Oh really? Welp, that means our JV hung tight with their varsity. ;) Huh, fancy that.

But the official word from Overton (based on game film) is that both 1st teams went 15 plays each, and each scored on each other. Then, during a 24-minute running-clock half, Overton's varsity scored twice to Grapeland varsity's none. Later, the Sandies varsity scored a couple times on the Overton JV defense. So, that makes the overall score for the scrimmage a 3-3 tie, which I'm told is equivalent to kissing one's sister... though I wouldn't know, as I've never played in a game that ended in a time or made out with my sisters.

The consensus I've received from the other O-town "daddy coaches" is that we showed occasional flashes, but were mostly inconsistent. Defense needs to play more physical, and our secondary needs to get their heads outta their keisters, but the o-line is mustard and our backfield is a three-headed monster. I know our coaches will keep their foots up our kids butts all week.

Did Doomer's nephews get any PT? And are you having any luck with keeping the squeezins out of the Gatorade?

Did Doomer's nephews get any PT? And are you having any luck with keeping the squeezins out of the Gatorade?

Herbie and Bernie were hung over from late-night shenanigans, so they missed the bus. But I heard they hustled some middle-schoolers for their lunch money playing "21" in the hood.