Mr. P

Overton at Ore City  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Overton (0-0)
    • Ore City (0-0)

Overton at Ore City, 7:30 p.m. Friday at Rebels Stadium

yegoiTt.jpghz1hoEu.jpg

Overton's coming off a 3-7 one-and-done trip to the postseason, while Ore City looks to rebuild after an 0-10 campaign a year ago.

Who's got the edge, by how much? Who wins this one, why?

Greezy take my word for it Overton is about to go on a 2-3 year up turn in all sports. This year folks will see a big turn around in sport but the next 2 years I see them making some deep playoff runs. They got some talented young men coming up right now. I expect they will be 10 times better this year than last.

Greezy take my word for it Overton is about to go on a 2-3 year up turn in all sports. This year folks will see a big turn around in sport but the next 2 years I see them making some deep playoff runs. They got some talented young men coming up right now. I expect they will be 10 times better this year than last.

Whoa whoa whoa, take it easy JJ. We're just hoping to compete. Y'know, not trying to prove anything. Just gonna take it one game at a time. Yep. ;)

Whoa whoa whoa, take it easy JJ. We're just hoping to compete. Y'know, not trying to prove anything. Just gonna take it one game at a time. Yep. ;)

Not with that group you better be thinking winning....I garrentee the browns,medlocks,marshalls and more are thinking champioships lol....Yall got some baller coming up..It's gonna be fun rooting you guys on as these kiddos get after it...I have coached with and against all those kids sinse they was in TeeBall...those kids do nothing but win.

I think if Ore City can learn the new offense and the running back that transferred from Daingerfield stays healthy, they will turn some heads this year.

Anyone heard anything about their preseason scrimmages? I can't find squat on the Interwebs, and their MaxPreps roster is a trifle confusing.

Anyone heard anything about their preseason scrimmages? I can't find squat on the Interwebs, and their MaxPreps roster is a trifle confusing.

usually around smoaky if a team is looking hot the fans will come out lol.....so in your case I'd say no news is prolly good news.

usually around smoaky if a team is looking hot the fans will come out lol.....so in your case I'd say no news is prolly good news.

I dunno... by that rationale Longview and Lufkin would win State every year. :P

I think if Ore City can learn the new offense and the running back that transferred from Daingerfield stays healthy, they will turn some heads this year.

What's the story on this Daingerfield kid? My understanding is that Demontrae Neal can scoot, what's he doing in Ore City?

I honestly don't know the story. I just know he is in Ore City now. He was going to be the starter this year for us, and yes, he can scoot and is a handful to bring down. We were really looking forward to seeing him run this year...hopefully he will have a great year for the Rebels.

I was told he only had 6 to 7 touches in the two scrimmages but gained 10+ on almost every touch. Great athlete and an even better young man.

I was told he only had 6 to 7 touches in the two scrimmages but gained 10+ on almost every touch.

I heard the same thing, but the same source(s) also told me West Rusk pounded them like 5-2, and their scrimmage against Prairiland was even worse. Go figure.

I saw some film on them...the RB is small, but extremely quick...moved the ball okay with some short possession type passes...

Background: Overton's coming off a 3-7 bi-district playoff appearance. Ore City's coming off an 0-10 season.

Intangibles: Overton has good team chemistry and enthusiasm. Ore City has a chip on their shoulder and wants to turn the program around. The weather = it's gonna be hot and humid, maybe even rainy.

Standout athletes: Overton's Seth Garrett, Julian Herndon, and Nicholas Baker have attention from college scouts, and their talented offensive line is bigger and stronger. Ore City has one of the better RBs in East Texas with Daingerfield transfer Demontrae Neal. 3-year-starter Collin Hart leads a strong line on both sides of the ball. Junior QB Colton Allshouse can stretch the defense with his arm.

Weaknesses: Overton only has 4 seniors, most of the starters are underclassmen. The Mustangs have a tendency to get stuck in 3rd-and-long situations. Ore City has little depth or recent winning tradition. It remains to be seen if the Rebels have the killer instinct.

How Ore City will win: If the Rebels get the running game going early. Ore City has a solid stable of young wideouts who can catch the ball. Also, Demontrae Neal can take a routine off-tackle play to the house. Neal has the potential to score any time he touches the ball. Defensively, the Rebels don't have to stop Overton, just keep scoring. The Mustangs are not a big-play scoring offense.

How Overton will win: By keeping Ore City's offense off the field, and avoiding third-down situations when they have the ball. The Mustangs have plenty of backfield depth, so they don't need to take any shots deep downfield. Rotating their bigger/stronger backs with their smaller/quicker ones can wear down the Rebels' lack of depth.

What I think will happen: It's the first game of the season, let's face it, none of us knows much of anything about either team. It's all guesswork at this point. Though I'm doubtful Overton's defense can shut down Neal completely, I'm really not sure if Ore City has the horses to go four quarters with the Mustangs. Nevertheless, on a hot August night, the better conditioned team will have to win this one late. I think it's going to be Overton.

Overton: 40
Ore City: 20