Sad Day for Texas High

bordertown

Today Al Hanna the Voice of the Tigers passed away. Al broadcasted Tiger sports for 50 years and the press box at Grim rightly bares his name. The airwaves will be different this Friday night. Thoughts go to his family and all those with a personal connection to Al. RIP

Great memories over the years with Al. Not only did he broadcast games I was involved in as an athlete at Texas High but he also was a wealth of knowledge about all Texas High sports over the last 50 years. I had the opportunity on many occasions to sit with him at sporting events and listen to him tell stories about all things Texas High. Priceless! My prayers and condolences go out to all his family, friends and Texas High fans. I bet he's showing Watty Myers his shiny new state championship rings in heaven as we speak!

Services for Al Hanna will be at his church, Hardy United Methodist Church, on Monday afternoon at 1 p.m. As you would probably expect, Al was faithful in his church attendance just as he was faithful in his attendance at all Texas High sporting events. He will be missed.

The end of the radio broadcast was phenomenal. After Keith Schutte gave his emotional closing comments, the broadcast switched to the recorded voice of Al Hanna with his signature sign-off: "This is Al Hanna saying ... So long, everybody."

This old man cried a little bit on the drive home.