21 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins this'n?

• Overton
    • Normangee

2zpl5fH.jpg28WFFkC.jpg
Overton vs. Normangee
Wildcat Stadium, Whitehouse
7 p.m., Friday, November 14

The Mustangs are riding high after surviving their nailbiting 30-28 win over Maud, while the Panthers hope to get back on track after a shellacking by Iola. Both are programs in the midst of rebuilding. Overton is a very young team, with sophomores and freshmen that start on both sides of the ball. The Panthers have more senior starters than the Mustangs have seniors, but Overton's youngsters are actually more experienced in the post-season than Normangee's, as this is the school's third-straight playoff appearance.

I don't know much about our friends from down south, but I'm certain they're not willing to settle for "one and done." Looking at their schedule, they've won and lost some close games, so I suspect they've got what it takes to play four quarters. Having taken on some tough squads in Mart and Iola, they won't be intimidated by the young Mustang upstarts.

Overton is showing steady improvement since a disappointing loss to Timpson with a hard-fought loss to speedy Tenaha, a surprising rout of Mount Enterprise, then last night's gutsy performance against a determined Cardinal squad. There's a lot of excitement and confidence bubbling up, and the team seems to be showing a consistency that has eluded them for most of the season.

Normangee will win if... they can make big plays on offense. Overton has a plodding, time-consuming offense. If the Panthers can force a shootout, they'll keep the Mustangs off-balance. On defense Normangee has to load the box to slow down Overton's three-headed rushing attack.

Overton will win if... they don't get in 3rd and Long too often, and hold on to the dang ball. Mustang junior halfback Julian Herndon (6-2, 210lbs) can run the ball 30-40 times easy, but speedy junior Kam Hawkins and explosive sophomore Tanner Lee can break the big play. If Overton's running game gets rolling, the Panther D is gonna have a long night. Defensively the Mustangs don't have to pitch a shutout, just prevent the big play.

I predict the Mustangs will control the clock on offense, bend but not break on defense. The game will be close throughout, with Overton pulling away late. The Mustangs win the battle of the kelly green teams, advancing to the next round: 33-20.

Oh, I marked it down bro, I marked it down. tsg4Nr9.gif

I expected Maud to be much much better before season started. also thought mt e would be better. knowing how young Otown was just didn't expect them at 4-6 to make playoffs

Wow...this is a tough one...

Normangee looks solid...they can pass and run the ball, their QB runs well and Maud's QB gave Overton trouble...Overton has struggled keeping the edge...

Overton does have a great group of RB's that can break a long one anytime, or pound it out...they cannot get behind the chains...passing game is there, but not used much...

Going again with Overton in a close one again, 38-35

I expected Maud to be much much better before season started.

The Godfather points out that the loss (for the season) of no less than 5 returning starters from last year at different points this season might have played a small part in how things turned out for them. Not an excuse, just a fact.

It's not an excuse at all, but a legitimate obstacle in small school ball. Injuries can utterly cripple a team (no pun intended), because often the most talented players are starting both ways. So losing one player is, in effect, losing two starters.

Hope the kids can heal up and come back strong next season!

Normangee takes this one by 2 TD's........

Really hoss, how come? I'd love to get some analysis from the Normangee side...

should be a great game in some cold weather Friday night

No doubt! A crisp and breezy November night, perfect football weather!

Really hoss, how come? I'd love to get some analysis from the Normangee side...

No doubt! A crisp and breezy November night, perfect football weather!

high today is 11. wind chill -1. its a bit nippy outside.