Shelbyville vs Ore City

TWB

Seems like I remember a story about him when Shelbyville hired him and people from all over the state said hope your other programs get ready to suffer, hope basketball isn't played there etc etc.

Kicking the kids off for breaking rules isn't the problem, it's the RULE that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Let him suspend or kick my kid off the team for playing hoops in the backyard with me and his brothers and sisters. It was only a matter of time Shelbyville send that dude packing just like every other school did.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our basketball team, made up largely of football players, was 17-7 last season. I don't think being stronger hurt our performance.

they were pretty good imo

they were pretty good imo

And that was with an awesome player serving as MANAGER because he TORE his ACL and had to have surgery after playing a PICK UP GAME of basketball during FOOTBALL! You guys are right! What a stupid rule for this AD to enforce!!!!

Like I said, they are kids. They are gonna shoot some hoops. Those kids are getting punished worse than some kids get punished for breaking serious rules. And a kid tore his ACL playing basketball, it happens. When you get into coaching you know your job lives and dies with the success of teenagers. When they do things that you know kids are gonna do, such as play pick up basketball you can't punish them that harshly.

I like the Charlie Strong method. he gave every single kid that was kicked off of UTs football team a second chance. after first offense they were suspended, given a chance to correct it. after second offense, you gotta go.

Surely the guy down there in them woods can understand that. Reiterate the rules broken, suspend them a game, then give em a chance to make good. the reinstate them and let em know they gotta walk the line.

for all we know, this is their second offense.

Yea, that AD over in Shelbyville has always kept his basketball teams down! They NEVER WIN!!!! Hell, they have went to the playoffs every year he was an AD and at every school he was an AD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wait a minute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How are they in the playoffs every year under his crazy rules as a AD?!?!?!?!?! Maybe it's because he is a PROGRAM AD, all sports will win! Naw, he's just a football guy!

Bunch of cry babies!

I've read through this thread and we've deleted 2-3 posts, I would rather we not have to do it again.

You have the right to question decision-making, but if you're going to get personal, it's probably good you not post.

I've told my admins and mods we understand the emotions flying high during this time, but please be smart.

Thank you.

David Smoak

Owner-Smoaky.com

Feel free not to have the same regulations when you are running your own program.

Again its not college...I can understand a curfew but this is a little extreme! Regardless of how this turns out...he will not make a winning program out of Shelbyville....they just dont have enough in the talent pool to be tough year after year!

Feel free not to have the same regulations when you are running your own program.

I think this post is the beginning and end of the debate. I'm sure the players were made aware of the rules/consequences beforehand. I know they're "just kids being kids" but the rules are there for a reason. At what point do we dispense with the rules under the guise of "kids being kids?"

The staff made the students aware of the strictures of participating. Then, it appears, the staff extended grace to the situation (considering that this is the playoffs) by allowing the teammates to vote on the ultimate decision. From the outside, it looks like this was handled as fair and rationally as possible. Don't like it? Fine, no one says you have to make such a rule at the athletic program you work for. Disagree with the rule? Okay then, but the athletic department rule books are approved during the spring/summer months in school board meetings. Feel free to raise your objection then.

But my point of view doesn't matter. I'm just a guy on the message board, with no direct connection to Shelbyville. I'm not an SISD employee or staff in the athletic department. I don't have a kid on the team... but if I did, I'd make sure he knew the rules as well as the consequences of breaking them. If he violated the rules (no matter how "innocent") I'd be 100% behind the staff's decision, no matter how much it might "hurt" the team.

There's a reason our kids play interscholastic sports, and winning/losing is such a small part of it. We'd all do well to remember that.

Ferguson did not agree with it as should no coach but he left it up to the players and the players decided to kick them off. I just love how the people of Sville love him while they are winning but hate him the next day based on something they have no evidence on. All of the players had an agreement before the season started and therefore 2 of them have to pay for their consequences. I don't agree with such a harsh punishment especially with both of them being senior starters but that's what the other players voted on, not the coach.

Crazy!

Seems like I remember a story about him when Shelbyville hired him and people from all over the state said hope your other programs get ready to suffer, hope basketball isn't played there etc etc.

Kicking the kids off for breaking rules isn't the problem, it's the RULE that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Let him suspend or kick my kid off the team for playing hoops in the backyard with me and his brothers and sisters. It was only a matter of time Shelbyville send that dude packing just like every other school did.

I remember reading same story bro