What I learned as a Greenvillain in 15-5A

Greenville

OK, Greenville's first year in the deep Piney Woods region in seemingly forever, and definitely my first year (the I-20 section, not I-30) is over; here's a bit of what I learned (if you don't care, just click the back button):

1) The speed limit on I-20 is infinity. I need to strap some nitro to my car just to keep up with the flow of traffic for the Marshall game next year.

(1A) I'll take the speed demons of ET over the gridlock of the Metromess any day.

2) After three tries, I just can't pass through the town of Big Sandy without thinking of a crude joke about the ex. No offense. To the town, I mean.

3) Pine Tree's fight song, Grand Old Flag, is awesome. Most of our crowd was singing along when they came out at halftime.

4) Hallsville's stadium reminds me a LOT of our old stadium, Phillips field. A little nicer, larger, and a lot more purple, but still, nostalgic. (That's a good thing, for me.)

5) Longview. Lol. They looked like they could beat some D-3 college teams the way they handled us.

6) It helps to have a car that can get to Jackson, MS from here on one tank of gas. $17 in gas to get to Longview/Hallsville and back is nothing to sneeze at, especially if you have to do it three times in five weeks. It's an ugly 24-year old commuter car, though, so it breaks even. Wonder if it'll even hold nitro.

7) You guys probably see it a lot, but it was a first for me. Highway 80 from Mineola to Hawkins is a heck of a view, especially at sunset.

8) If I want stats, I just look for LoboFan07. He'll have the stats up that I want before I even know I want them. :)

9) Thanks for the hospitality. Each road game, the home crowd was pretty friendly. An entire season without a "Greenville ####" chant is a welcome change. :) Same for this website. Thanks for putting up with me and my lack of knowledge of East Texas south of I-30.

10) Probably most importantly...winning > not winning. We had a good team by our standards this year, and hopefully we'll give some folks more of a challenge in 2015.

If I think of more, I'll post it later. Hope you got at least a chuckle.

Great post! Im just glad we get yall at Maverick Stadium next year. Our vehicle is no where near as fuel effecient. I agree that most fans from our district are fairly civil (with the exception of a few from Lobo land) and knowledgable about their respective teams. I appreciate your weekly matchup graphics. Congrats on the much improved season. Are you as involved with Greenville basketball and do you know what we can expect from from them this year?

Awesome post GV.

Despite the score, was glad I was able to visit GV twice this year to watch your Lions and your sub varsity Lions. Y'all had a great season all things considered. You were a great poster to talk to all season long.

Can't wait until next August when we get to start it all over again together!

Really enjoyed you on the board this year. We all tend to get along here in this district.....well since the SS posters disappeared :lol:

Of course if any of us ever gets competitive with Longview we'll drag out the old smack talk books. Got a feeling they will stay dusty for awhile LOL

GV, great post! Thank you for being such a good sport all season. Things seem to be looking up for your team. The helmets were great! Don't be a stranger during off season. (Especially if y'all use the option for Spring practice, we will want to hear about it)

Go 15-5A!

We were certainly glad to have you here (15-5A AND Smoaky.com). Greenville is getting better. You said Winning > Not Winning. While that is true, I think this is a better, and more factual evaluation of any sports team......Improving > Winning.

Wow...thanks guys! Didn't expect so many responses. Let's see...

gtee2, I do vaguely remember a Brandon Ward who played in 2004. I was finishing up putting myself through college then, though, so I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to details at that point.

The Real Mavfan, thanks, I appreciate it. I don't really keep up with high school basketball; I'm self-employed, so I do well just to keep up with the football team. Used to coach basketball at the YMCA level back in the day. Did have a guy who went on to play a bit with Bob Knight at Tech, so I guess I was ok at it. :) Anyway, the b-ball team usually winds up between 2-5 games under .500 overall and is usually not much of a threat in district, unfortunately. Don't have a clue how they look this year, although looking at the Maxpreps roster, a handful of players are also football players who just missed the Pine Tree game due to injury.

THSFanatic, you've actually been talking to me for years. On the other football website, I'm "Greenville Lions." Agreed on SS, though. :) At least they didn't start taking knees with six minutes left this time!

LOBOFAN84, if we do spring ball, I will definitely be on here. I think we've only done 7-on-7 once or twice in the last decade though (if we did, it wasn't advertised), but if we take part, I'll post that too. I'll try to check the place out during the offseason as I get some time.

Hookemhorns88, since the students and players are all under 21, aren't they all "minor" schools? :) (Kidding.)

I can see your point, Five0pd310. We did definitely improve this season. Hopefully, we can improve even more and take a run at that fourth playoff spot next year. We'll see.

jbabi86, don't worry. You'll like it here. We'll send over a couple hundred students to you guys' visitor section to make it feel like home. :) (Well, we would, but our visitor section only holds a couple hundred people.)

Thanks all. Good luck in the playoffs!

TobinFrost, I believe she was a year ahead of me. Heard the name, but we didn't hang out.

CarthDawg77, we did for a little while, around the time the first Spiderman movie (Tobey Maguire version) came out. Green Goblin, Green Villain, etc. Just something funny (to us) we started doing for a while. Beats our usual "Red Sea" moniker we fans had when we were actually attending road games. (Hey, if other teams' fans can call us Redville...)

Vandalman, glad you like it. It was meant to be part serious but mostly lighthearted humor.

TobinFrost, I believe she was a year ahead of me. Heard the name, but we didn't hang out.

CarthDawg77, we did for a little while, around the time the first Spiderman movie (Tobey Maguire version) came out. Green Goblin, Green Villain, etc. Just something funny (to us) we started doing for a while. Beats our usual "Red Sea" moniker we fans had when we were actually attending road games. (Hey, if other teams' fans can call us Redville...)

Vandalman, glad you like it. It was meant to be part serious but mostly lighthearted humor.

Thanks for the clarification!😎