Carthage Bulldogs vs El Campo Rice Birds

CarthDawg77

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lead 24-7 with 10minutes left in game. The wheels fell off. I think we got complacent and let down and then injuries and turnovers happened in succession .Wharton was a good team and took advantage and deserved to win that night. We probably win 9 of 10 times against them, but they won when it counted. Hopefully we learned no lead is too big. The next week we played our best game against a very good St.Pius team. It was a very uncharacteristic letdown for EC especially in a rivalry game and in the fourth quarter. By the way, Wharton losing very much surprised me. They played Stafford close and lost to Belllvill by 1.

It appears El Campo has had fumble problems at times this season - even recently. Lost 4 fumbles to Brazosport in 9th game.

Friday night's game, like many playoff games. may be determined by turnovers.

we know that like the La Marque teams of the 90s and 2000s that we met many times , Carthage becomes a different animal come playoff time. We greatly respect their accomplishments and know we will have to play a mistake free game to win. Expecting a good one from both teams.

The Cardawgs have done well the second half of the season but I'm afraid all of that youthfulness may catch up to them this week. I hope not, because I want all of the DoD teams to win. Also, if we can take care of our own business this week there will be a reckoning come the following week. Ohh yeah.

...a potent running attack. Both running backs are much better than 2012 and Dove #30 is as good as Ive seen this year. The running game put over 500 yards on West Columbia's district leading defense in the final game. (the score 48-20 was closer than the game)...

According to Friday Night Football Texas, junior RB/LB Kevin Dove is 6'1", 210 lbs. and runs the 40 in 4.58. He is averaging about 150 rushing yards per game and nearly 9 yards a carry.

... The qb is a good passer though we seldom pass. He has really good speed and is almost healthy after an ankle sprain , though not nearly the running threat of the 2012 QB...

Thank goodness he isn't. The 2012 QB appeared to have been a converted linebacker. He was a tough kid who didn't go down easily.

CarthDawg77.......If Carthage and Chapel Hill meet again, then everyone in both towns should be real happy------both teams would know if they play a real good game, they have a good chance to win........I think Stanky is sorta saying that............If El Campo beats Carthage by 40 points, then C. Hill would NOT like their chances that much against E.C................If C. Hill gets beat by 40, then Carthage would not like their chances that much.

CarthDawg77.......If Carthage and Chapel Hill meet again, then everyone in both towns should be real happy------both teams would know if they play a real good game, they have a good chance to win........I think Stanky is sorta saying that............If El Campo beats Carthage by 40 points, then C. Hill would NOT like their chances that much against E.C................If C. Hill gets beat by 40, then Carthage would not like their chances that much.

Lol! Ol' Stank knows I'm jacking with him... DOD teams pull for each other so long as they play other district's teams; against each other, All bets are Off! He knows that!😎

It’s interesting that everyone here is comparing these 2014 football teams to the 2012 teams. That can’t be done. In 2012 Carthage was a much better team than El Campo. I was there and saw it. Carthage had El Campo out gunned with a much better balanced offence. El Campo was as good as Carthage on defense. However, the only thing that kept El Campo in the game in 2012 was EC’s quarterback, Brandl.

This year is totally different. El Campo still does not like to pass, but they can. The QB is not the “one man team” Brandl was but he is an all-district QB. We have two running backs that make passing on second and long a “no issue”, so why would we need to pass? Both EC runners are better runners than Brandl was. Best of all they are both juniors, so get ready to see them again next year.

One thing that is the same in 2014 as it was in 2012 is coaching. I know Scott Surratt has four state championships but if Bob Gillis had had the same talent to work with as Surratt has had, Bob Gillis would have 10 state championships. He is one of the most respected coaches, at any level in the state of Texas…… Surratt wasted a victory in 2012 by calling a play only a class A football coach would call. You guys in Carthage can cry all you want about losing that game in 2012 but your coach gift wrapped El Campo a victory even I know, we did not earn. We were down two touchdowns down with 3:37 left in the game, for Christ sake!

I’ll be at the game Friday. Please tell coach Sturratt to bring his trick play book……. We’ll bring the gift wrapping paper.

...Surratt wasted a victory in 2012 by calling a play only a class A football coach would call. You guys in Carthage can cry all you want about losing that game in 2012 but your coach gift wrapped El Campo a victory even I know, we did not earn. We were down two touchdowns down with 3:37 left in the game, for Christ sake! Ill be at the game Friday. Please tell coach Sturratt to bring his trick play book. Well bring the gift wrapping paper.

The trick play wasn't the sole reason Carthage lost that game. The Dawgs made plenty of other mistakes in the 4th quarter of that game.

You better be careful about what you ask for. I can recall trick plays in at least 2 of the 4 state championship games Carthage has won that helped break the games open.

Trick plays don't win many games in the long run. They do

loose more games than they win, in the long run.

Most games are won by smash mouth, hardcore, run it down your throat, football. If you do that, and do it well, you won’t need to play class A football at the 4-A/5-A level. I have seen trick plays and seen them work well as a win or loose effort. I have never seen it happen when the game was won and all Carthage had to do was make one or two first downs and win the game. I think it was the dumbest play I have ever seen in any game at that high school level.

Its interesting that everyone here is comparing these 2014 football teams to the 2012 teams. That cant be done. In 2012 Carthage was a much better team than El Campo. I was there and saw it. Carthage had El Campo out gunned with a much better balanced offence. El Campo was as good as Carthage on defense. However, the only thing that kept El Campo in the game in 2012 was ECs quarterback, Brandl. This year is totally different. El Campo still does not like to pass, but they can. The QB is not the one man team Brandl was but he is an all-district QB. We have two running backs that make passing on second and long a no issue, so why would we need to pass? Both EC runners are better runners than Brandl was. Best of all they are both juniors, so get ready to see them again next year. One thing that is the same in 2014 as it was in 2012 is coaching. I know Scott Surratt has four state championships but if Bob Gillis had had the same talent to work with as Surratt has had, Bob Gillis would have 10 state championships. He is one of the most respected coaches, at any level in the state of Texas Surratt wasted a victory in 2012 by calling a play only a class A football coach would call. You guys in Carthage can cry all you want about losing that game in 2012 but your coach gift wrapped El Campo a victory even I know, we did not earn. We were down two touchdowns down with 3:37 left in the game, for Christ sake! Ill be at the game Friday. Please tell coach Sturratt to bring his trick play book. Well bring the gift wrapping paper.

4 Championships in 7 years at Carthage vs 1 loss to El Campo in 2012......Hmmmmm, I think we'll hang onto our Coach for as long as he wants to stay!