Carthage Bulldogs vs El Campo Rice Birds

CarthDawg77

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

El Campo could have used some trick play's a week later against Stephenville, 70-35, 621 yards of offense given up along with making Texas High School history for most points given up in a 11-man State Title Game. Granted, Stephenville's offense was the best in 3-A that year, but being behind the whole game and Sville scoring on every possession except one and the Ricebirds steadly running the ball with an occasional pass. You have to do something to get back in the game quicker.

Trick plays don't win many games in the long run. They doloose more games than they win, in the long run. Most games are won by smash mouth, hardcore, run it down your throat, football. If you do that, and do it well, you wont need to play class A football at the 4-A/5-A level. I have seen trick plays and seen them work well as a win or loose effort. I have never seen it happen when the game was won and all Carthage had to do was make one or two first downs and win the game. I think it was the dumbest play I have ever seen in any game at that high school level.

I am a huge Surratt fan. You couldn't understand how good he is until you see it first hand. He knows how to put kids in positions to succeed, and him and his staff work non stop to ensure the kids are in the right position. He also runs a heck of an offense. I love the pro style balanced attack Carthage runs, and we have the exact make up as far as demographics are concerned in our town to run that offense.

Now to your post you are 1000% right. Surratt prolly won't admit it, but I'm sure he has lost a lot sleep over some of those calls in that game. He gave that game away period. There has been more than a couple of times where Surratt has made a crazy call like that on our many playoff runs, and it worked out, but most of the time the kids bail him out to be honest. Heck Surratt made some very questionable calls in the last minutes of the Championship game last year. I think that's just his makeup. He honesty thinks he can do whatever he wants and it will work. He believes in himself and that works it's way down to the kids.

I am not a coach and don't pretend to be. I have heard Surratt and his staff talk football and these guys are on a whole other level. It's crazy how hard these guys work. An Surratt is the leader. He has the clout to make those kinda calls if he wants to. I don't agree with it, but I don have to. His record speaks for itself. I hope he is in Carthage another 20 years an retires a Bulldog.

He went for it 3 times against Brownwood 4th and 20 Plus one time on the minus 23. Then the onside kick which was basically a fade kick to Claiborne up the sideline. He does crazy stuff and yes it will backfire but he ain't changing. I am pretty sure most bulldawg fans wouldn't want him to.

I am a huge Surratt fan. You couldn't understand how good he is until you see it first hand. He knows how to put kids in positions to succeed, and him and his staff work non stop to ensure the kids are in the right position. He also runs a heck of an offense. I love the pro style balanced attack Carthage runs, and we have the exact make up as far as demographics are concerned in our town to run that offense.

Now to your post you are 1000% right. Surratt prolly won't admit it, but I'm sure he has lost a lot sleep over some of those calls in that game. He gave that game away period. There has been more than a couple of times where Surratt has made a crazy call like that on our many playoff runs, and it worked out, but most of the time the kids bail him out to be honest. Heck Surratt made some very questionable calls in the last minutes of the Championship game last year. I think that's just his makeup. He honesty thinks he can do whatever he wants and it will work. He believes in himself and that works it's way down to the kids.

I am not a coach and don't pretend to be. I have heard Surratt and his staff talk football and these guys are on a whole other level. It's crazy how hard these guys work. An Surratt is the leader. He has the clout to make those kinda calls if he wants to. I don't agree with it, but I don have to. His record speaks for itself. I hope he is in Carthage another 20 years an retires a Bulldog.

AMEN!!!

He went for it 3 times against Brownwood 4th and 20 Plus one time on the minus 23. Then the onside kick which was basically a fade kick to Claiborne up the sideline. He does crazy stuff and yes it will backfire but he ain't changing. I am pretty sure most bulldawg fans wouldn't want him to.

He went for it 4th and 13 from the WOS 18 in the 4th quarter last year and Bogie ran for 20 yards!! Granted our punts had been netting about 5 yards kicking into the wind.

(I'm not exactly sure about the down and distance, but it was something crazy like that)

I used the 2012 team as a comparison in reply to leadbrute's question to show a point of reference. Not saying either team is the same as 2012. I think our offense this year is better, our defense is stronger in some areas and weaker in others. I also dont want to get into a #### contest about coaching. Coach Surratt's record speaks for itself. He has taken outstanding talent and won it all multiple times. Coach Gillis has taken one of the smallest 4A(at the time) schools with good talent and had them play toe to toe with some of the best . Nine of his playoff losses have been to eventual state champions or runnerups . He has always gotten the best out of what we have. Both are outstanding.

I used the 2012 team as a comparison in reply to leadbrute's question to show a point of reference. Not saying either team is the same as 2012. I think our offense this year is better, our defense is stronger in some areas and weaker in others. I also dont want to get into a #### contest about coaching. Coach Surratt's record speaks for itself. He has taken outstanding talent and won it all multiple times. Coach Gillis has taken one of the smallest 4A(at the time) schools with good talent and had them play toe to toe with some of the best . Nine of his playoff losses have been to eventual state champions or runnerups . He has always gotten the best out of what we have. Both are outstanding.

+1 both have created a great tradition at their respective schools.

One of the signs of a great coach is taking a guy who shows very little talent, and actually searching and finding hidden talent.........One of Surratt's mentors was great at doing that, and so is Surratt(and his staff)...........Someone who catches a good/great team in district or the playoffs for the first time, might say" look at all the talent, ANY coach could win with those guys".........Well, a lot of coaches couldn't find all the talent that was available...........The year Carthage beat Graham in the finals, was a year very few coaching staffs would have won state.

...Both are outstanding.

I haven't seen nearly as much of Coach Gillis's teams as I have of Coach Surratt's, and of the two. I have personally met only Coach Surratt. But from all I've seen and heard - and I've heard from a friend of Coach Gillis - there seems to be no doubt that both are outstanding coaches and men.

My favorite may have been the fake punt on 4th and long from deep in their end of the field against rival Henderson. Carthage was behind at the time, but came back to win the game. Another state title followed a couple of months later. I believe the year was 2010.

With out a doubt this is a knock on Coach Surratt and I take offense to it. I do not know El Campo's Coach so I can't really say anything about him. But how many rings does he have? Maybe that victory in 2012 was gift wrapped and given to El Campo but apparently El Campo kept the wrapping paper and threw the gift away because Stephenville beat them like a rented mule. To say the El Campo coach would have 10 rings with the talent that Surratt has had...... LMAO, apparently you are implying that by that statement that Surratt is a far less coach than El Campo's.... You are entitled to your opinion as is everyone else but your statements about Surratt are asinine.

Coach Surratt, in my opinion, is the best coach in the game. The four rings he has tells the tale. This year at one point his team was 1-4 after loosing 18 or so starters from last years state championship run. (Yes Surratt and the Dawgs won it last year.) They are now playing in the second play off game of the year, now that is coaching!

Whether Carthage wins or looses Friday, I stand by the Coaches and our kids. We already got four and we are looking for more.

With out a doubt this is a knock on Coach Surratt and I take offense to it. I do not know El Campo's Coach so I can't really say anything about him. But how many rings does he have? Maybe that victory in 2012 was gift wrapped and given to El Campo but apparently El Campo kept the wrapping paper and threw the gift away because Stephenville beat them like a rented mule. To say the El Campo coach would have 10 rings with the talent that Surratt has had...... LMAO, apparently you are implying that by that statement that Surratt is a far less coach than El Campo's.... You are entitled to your opinion as is everyone else but your statements about Surratt are asinine.

Coach Surratt, in my opinion, is the best coach in the game. The four rings he has tells the tale. This year at one point his team was 1-4 after loosing 18 or so starters from last years state championship run. (Yes Surratt and the Dawgs won it last year.) They are now playing in the second play off game of the year, now that is coaching!

Whether Carthage wins or looses Friday, I stand by the Coaches and our kids. We already got four and we are looking for more.

+1000000000 It's just a matter of time, & THE DAWGS will Reign in 4A Div1 once again!😋

El Campo could have used some trick play's a week later against Stephenville, 70-35, 621 yards of offense given up along with making Texas High School history for most points given up in a 11-man State Title Game. Granted, Stephenville's offense was the best in 3-A that year, but being behind the whole game and Sville scoring on every possession except one and the Ricebirds steadly running the ball with an occasional pass. You have to do something to get back in the game quicker.

In EC's defense, that S'ville offense was probably the best I've ever seen. They pretty much had 5 guys running verticals on every play and the QB would throw a dart to the open one nearly every time. If you somehow managed to cover all 5, then the QB would bring it down and run for 20. They were a machine.