Carthage Bulldogs vs El Campo Rice Birds

CarthDawg77

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couldn't stop thinking about the real Bulldog vs a real Rice-bird matchup so i took one of my old gillnets down to Deadwood bridge and snared me a good sized blackbird. Didn't have a Bulldog but i've got 11 coondogs and 4 birddogs. Picked out the one that looked most like a Bulldog. Ricebird lost but he scratched and pecked 'ol Rastus up just a little

Couldn't stop thinking about the real Bulldog vs a real Rice-bird matchup so i took one of my old gillnets down to Deadwood bridge and snared me a good sized blackbird. Didn't have a Bulldog but i've got 11 coondogs and 4 birddogs. Picked out the one that looked most like a Bulldog. Ricebird lost but he scratched and pecked 'ol Rastus up just a little

True story?

Interesting facts read on another site:

Carthage has won at least 2 playoff games 6 years in a row.

The only year Carthage hasn't won at least 2 playoff games under Coach Surratt is 2007, his 1st year, when the Dawgs lost in the 2nd round to eventual state champion Liberty Hill.

Coach Surratt's playoff record at Carthage is 31-3 (.912 winning clip).

El Campo is averaging over 40 points a game this season.

The cumulative record of El Campo's opponents thus far in 2014 is 56-60.

El Campo is averaging 383 yards a game, with nearly 90% of it coming on the ground.

Carthage is averaging over 27 points a game.

Carthage is averaging 356 yards a game, with nearly 60% of it coming through the air.

I think this needs to be a low scoring game for Carthage to win. Surratt and his staff deserve a lot of credit for turning the Bulldogs around in the second half of the season but I just dont think they have the tools for a deep run. 28-14...El Campo. C'mon Bulldogs...make me eat my words!

I think this needs to be a low scoring game for Carthage to win. Surratt and his staff deserve a lot of credit for turning the Bulldogs around in the second half of the season but I just dont think they have the tools for a deep run. 28-14...El Campo. C'mon Bulldogs...make me eat my words!

The Dawgs are playing this game without several key players who are out with injuries... I hope they are able to dig down deep within themselves to pull out a " W", but win or lose, they have proven themselves this year despite getting of on shaky footing! We, their fans will Be there, rain or shine, hot or cold, windy or calm to support this team WHICH REMAINS the Defending 4A Div1 State Champion until the End! GO DAWGS!😎

we know that like the La Marque teams of the 90s and 2000s that we met many times , Carthage becomes a different animal come playoff time. We greatly respect their accomplishments and know we will have to play a mistake free game to win...

And along these lines, Coach Gillis was quoted in the El Campo newspaper as saying about Carthage "No matter what team they have, the playoffs come and they rev their engines. They understand what it takes to go all the way, and they're going to play extremely hard and do things right..." And he has no doubt been preaching this to his players all week.

As we all know, sometimes teenagers listen to adults and sometimes they don't. Have the El Campo players taken this message to heart, or do they see the Dawgs' 6-5 record this season and think this week's opponent will be another pushover? We'll start finding out the answer at this time tomorrow night.

The Dawgs are playing this game without several key players who are out with injuries... I hope they are able to dig down deep within themselves to pull out a " W", but win or lose, they have proven themselves this year despite getting of on shaky footing! We, their fans will Be there, rain or shine, hot or cold, windy or calm to support this team WHICH REMAINS the Defending 4A Div1 State Champion until the End! GO DAWGS!

Yep...the Carthage Bulldogs are the champs until somebody proves otherwise. What the heck is a rice bird anyway?

Regarding the 10 rings comment and Coach Gillis, I don't think he meant that the way you took it. I know both coaches. And both are great. But Coach Gillis has been at this a longer time. Thus the advanced # he could have. He usually loses to teams with much more talent than his team has. I took it to mean that over his career, if he had been coaching the kids like Surratt had for his career (which has been longer than Surratt's) he would have A LOT of rings too.

They are both great coaches.

BTW, I think both communities are very similar. Love their football and baseball teams, and the community teaches their kids to compete the right way at an early age. And then the schools hire and support coaches who mold those kids into great high school teams. When I drive by Carthage's little league fields it reminds me of El Campo Texas.

With that all said................Go 'Birds.

By the way, having a unique nickname is a very cool thing. Kids take a lot of pride that when they say they are from El Campo to a stranger they will respond........"oh, the Ricebirds!" You don't get that notoriety when you have a boring common nickname. And EC has enough winning tradition that most people have heard of them. A Ricebird may not sound fierce, but people aren't blowing up the phones wanting to play them either. I promise you, it will take you one or maybe two plays before you forget what their mascot is, and you realize they will fight you like a DOG!

I have enjoyed the posts all week. Two very good programs from two similar towns. Whoever wins will win with class and the other will be good sports. Not always the case in high school sports anymore. Kind of a throwback game where both teams will leave it all on the field and both will shake afterwards. Congrats to both coaching staffs and towns for raising good kids.