Congrats to the 4th place teams!

NewtonNation

People say four teams shouldn't make the playoffs but y'all proved that y'all belong. These are teams that I saw just in 4a and 3a.

The biggest wins in 4a:

Division 1

1st place 10-0 Van lost to 4th place 6-4 Paris.

30-23 Final

1st place 5-5 La Vega lost to 4th place 4-6 Canyon Lake. 49-26 Final

Division 2

1st place 7-3 Mexia lost to 4th place 6-4 Tarkington.

27-24 Final

The biggest wins in 3a:

Division 1

1st place 10-0 Sunnyvale lost to 4th place 2-8 Whitesboro 47-39 Final

1st place 4-6 Comfort lost to 4th place 4-6 Rice Consolidated

35-29 Final

Division 2

1st place 9-1Lone Oak lost to 4th place 5-5 S&S Consolidated

33-28 Final

1st place 8-2 Palmer lost to 4th place 5-5 Clifton

44-35 Final

Great job by these 4th place teams proving that they belong in the playoffs. Four teams making the playoffs is a lot but this is just a time to prove who has a tougher district. Way to go underdogs!

+1

I wish people would stop griping about a system that is obviously NOT BROKEN.

Of course seeing a 1-9 or 2-8 team getting crushed isn't fun.....

But seeing these Cinderellas makes it TOTALLY worth it IMHO

I agree 100% with the above posters, 4 teams getting in is a VERY GOOD thing! The whole point of HS athletics is to give these young people an avenue to learn how to handle adversity, push through hard times, humility in the good times and how to be a team player all the time. When 4 teams get in you give those experiences to these young people another week or up to 6 weeks. They need these positive experiences in their lives, there's SO MUCH negative in the world today let these young people enjoy their seasons and get to spend a little more time around the coaches that care about their well-being far beyond the football field, basketball court, baseball field, track, etc. It just may mean the difference between that kid making a few great decisions later in life or a few really poor decisions that drastically impact their lives. Remember HS athletics is about the KIDS that PLAY, not anything else! All you old grumps that complain because we let too many teams in the playoffs, stop with all the negativity, there's plenty of that in the world without you griping and complaining about stuff YOU don't have any control over! This is how it is, the system is DEFINITELY not broken!

Also, if you just like how it was in the "good ol' days" and wish it was like it used to be; get rid of your cell phone, iPad, tablet, and computer and go back to pen and paper! At least then we won't have to hear your complaints on here anymore!

98 teams made the playoffs this year with losing records. In my opinion, that is not teaching how to handle adversity, it's teaching entitlement. All those arguing that just because a team is capable of pulling an upset on any given day is the proof that they belong, well if my watch stops working should I still wear it then since it'll still be right twice a day?

The objective is to win. And when you win, you get rewarded. Now when you don't win, why should you still be rewarded?

And to say it's not broken, that's a matter of opinion. There are many people that would disagree.

People say four teams shouldn't make the playoffs but y'all proved that y'all belong. These are teams that I saw just in 4a and 3a.

The biggest wins in 4a:

Division 1

30-23 Final

Division 2

27-24 Final

The biggest wins in 3a:

Division 1

35-29 Final

Division 2

33-28 Final

44-35 Final

Great job by these 4th place teams proving that they belong in the playoffs. Four teams making the playoffs is a lot but this is just a time to prove who has a tougher district. Way to go underdogs!

Ahh yes, but each of these teams had won at least two games, unlike the Scarborough situation. I am all for more football and four teams getting in the playoffs can be a good thing. Just saying that there should be a contingency plan in extreme cases such as Scarborough's.:)

The biggest wins in 4a:

Division 1

30-23 Final

Division 2

27-24 Final

The biggest wins in 3a:

Division 1

35-29 Final

Division 2

33-28 Final

44-35 Final

Don't have the time to look through all of these, but La Vega was not the 1st place team from their district. Burnet won that district and I think there's a good chance that either Robinson or China Spring was ahead of La Vega too???

Having said that, I'm all for the 4 teams too, with the exception of those that haven't won a single district game.

People are putting too much stock in overall record. Its almost impossible to get a balanced preseason schedule against teams your size. I know at SA we played 2 3As, a 4A and a private school with over 400 kids in high school along with 1 other 2A. Look at just district records (which is what Is the fairest way) and the records aren't near as bad.

Don't have the time to look through all of these, but La Vega was not the 1st place team from their district. Burnet won that district and I think there's a good chance that either Robinson or China Spring was ahead of La Vega too???

Having said that, I'm all for the 4 teams too, with the exception of those that haven't won a single district game.

La Vega was the 1st place seed from that district.

People are putting too much stock in overall record. Its almost impossible to get a balanced preseason schedule against teams your size. I know at SA we played 2 3As, a 4A and a private school with over 400 kids in high school along with 1 other 2A. Look at just district records (which is what Is the fairest way) and the records aren't near as bad.

I'm not putting any stock in overall record. I just listed it because that is their record. No matter their record these were 4th place teams beating 1st place teams.

We complain that 4th place teams go the playoffs in high school but NOT when the 8th place team from the SEC or Big 12 or PAC 10 or any other conference gets in a bowl game with a 6-6 record because they won 4 non-conference games over schools with names like Southwest North Dakota State East Campus.

HUH??????

I'm not putting any stock in overall record. I just listed it because that is their record. No matter their record these were 4th place teams beating 1st place teams.

I'm not intending that for you. I'm intending that for the people that say those 4-6/3-7 teams don't deserve to be in.

Agreed. I don't have a problem with 4, the game still has to be played. And it exposed most of those mentioned as playing week schedules and week district especially sunnyvalle and van. La Vega has just always found a way to do the least possible with abundant talent.

98 teams made the playoffs this year with losing records. In my opinion, that is not teaching how to handle adversity, it's teaching entitlement. All those arguing that just because a team is capable of pulling an upset on any given day is the proof that they belong, well if my watch stops working should I still wear it then since it'll still be right twice a day?

The objective is to win. And when you win, you get rewarded. Now when you don't win, why should you still be rewarded?

And to say it's not broken, that's a matter of opinion. There are many people that would disagree.

+1

La Vega was the 1st place seed from that district.

Okay, 1st seed in the division they went, but they did not win their district, that was Burnet. I pretty sure La Vega was the 3rd place team overall, but the two teams that finished in front of them went the other division. I guess Burnet went the other Division.

Agree!