Snyder is Finally Out

cats69

Awesome!

Although I think the problem goes a little bit deeper. Our defensive guys are not big enough, nor physical enough. It takes a certain type of player to compete in the SEC on defense, and we don't have them. Hopefully the younger guys are more fit to play and, combined with a new DC, A&M's defense will improve.

Are there any rumblings of who they will go after?

According to Chip Brown, A&M will be getting Gary Patterson as our DC hahaha

Nothing that I've heard of yet.

When you've recruited at a high level and the talent is there, yet the results are still bad, that's coaching. Not to mention 0 improvement throughout the season. Too many times i see players just simply out of position. So happy they finally pulled the trigger on this move.

Really? Houston???

I think they will want a bigger splash than that.

Wanting a bigger splash and actually making one are two different things.... That Houston guy is familiar with Texas/la recruiting, he is a aggressive opportunistic defense (opposite of what's been in CS) and he is a realistic option.

I would love many others over him, I'm just saying he is who I think gets/takes the job.

This is Sumlin's get out of jail free card. The alumni will be appeased for a year with a new hire, but it better be a home run . The "we own this state" #### is over and it is time to produce. Strong has weathered the storm and UT is heading the right way with no swag copters or gimmicks. Baylor and TCU are the current big dogs, and Sumlin better replace hype with wins. I would throw as much money as needed at Muschamp as needed. It is time to let the good times roll or on the fire boys.

This is Sumlin's get out of jail free card. The alumni will be appeased for a year with a new hire, but it better be a home run . The "we own this state" #### is over and it is time to produce. Strong has weathered the storm and UT is heading the right way with no swag copters or gimmicks. Baylor and TCU are the current big dogs, and Sumlin better replace hype with wins. I would throw as much money as needed at Muschamp as needed. It is time to let the good times roll or ###### on the fire boys.

I'm not exactly sure the storm in Austin is over yet... Losing a lot of talent on the defense tho year. They won't be able to even become bowl eligible next season without improving on offense because the defense is going to be rebuilding.

I'm not exactly sure the storm in Austin is over yet... Losing a lot of talent on the defense tho year. They won't be able to even become bowl eligible next season without improving on offense because the defense is going to be rebuilding.

You are more homer than you care to admit if you can't see the difference the coaching staff has has on this defense. This is the same defense that got embarrassed multiple times last season and got a coach fired. I think you're downplaying that fact just a bit. Mykelle Thompson went from being a liability to a solid player. Steve Edmond went from being terrible to acually an asset to the defense

So if you say that he has produced the #1 defense in the ACC, does this mean the conference deserves recognition? If it is then does FSU now deserve their credit for being an undefeated team? Personally I thnk he is a good DC and the Aggies would be proud to have him, but we have seen so many guys on here who have trashed th ACC and FSU it kind of makes it a slam to hire him.

I never said the ACC deserved anything. I just said he showed improvement.

That end part is why I wouldn't want him. OU's defensive talent deteriorated under his watch.

^^^Listen to this guy, he knows his stuff.

Venables is an excellent assistant D-coord, or as the top guy for an upper-middle calibre team like Clemson... he's a chalkboard nerd who can prepare and gameplan very well. On the sidelines he's passionate but stays in control (unlike, say, raving maniacs Mike Stoops or Will Muschamp). Against teams with lesser (or sometimes even equal) talent, his defenses look absolutely amazing. But when it's not working... well...

Venables seems pathologically opposed to making adjustments. When the opposing offense has him figured out, he seems too patient to mix up his blitzes/coverages—as if he's thinks "eventually" the talent deficit in his favor will win the day. Again, not a terrible philosophy when you've got much better players. He's not a great recruiter either, tends to go for raw physicality over technique. His top recruits often looked good on paper (Chijioke Onyenegecha, Reggie Smith) but never really developed during their time at OU.

BV is perfect for a school like Clemson or Kansas State or Louisville—a low-pressure program not in the championship conversation year-in and year-out, somewhere his defenses can fly below the radar, and look superb against average competition.