Local Teams Make Regional and State Top Tens

Sandman

Congratulations to the several local teams made the TASCO pre-season top 10s.

REGIONAL

BOYS

5A

Region II

1) Mt. Pleasant (#2 in the state)

3) Longview Pine Tree (#7 in the state)

4A

Region II

1) Kaufman (#2 in the state)

2) Kilgore (#3 in the state)

5) Paris

Region III

1) Palestine (#5 in the state)

GIRLS

5A

Region II

9) Longview

4A

Region II

1) Crandall (#4 in the state)

2) Mabank (#6 in the state)

3) Kaufman

4) Longview Spring Hill

Region III

1) Jasper (#5 in the state)

3) Palestine

If you go into the Smoaky.com Historical Section, Jasper is on the list of 4A teams, soooooooooo...If Mr. Smoak thinks they are local, and it is his website, then I am going to add them to list. I am sorry if I offended you.

YOU did have them listed....I was answering Doomie...... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Have watched Princeton develop from a soccer patsy to legit district contender. Panthers might be the favorite to win our district this year. Still can't get over the fact there's just 4 teams in District 11, and all 4 have byes into the area round. Paris has 8 open dates on its schedule and a 3-week break between the regular season and playoffs (since the district opted to finish play before Spring Break). I imagine District 13 (PG, L-E, Pitt, Atlanta) facing similar issues . . . especially the girls since PG and L-E are the lone girls teams in that district. Definitely will have some major growing pains in the newly formed Conference 4A soccer until more schools are added.

I'm talking about being able to fill out a competitive schedule, both varsity and JV. There are 127 schools in 4A soccer (and not all of those have boys and girls programs), plus a bunch are recent start-ups and may not have JV teams or have JV teams masquerading as varsity. It's particularly sparse in the northern half of the state (Regions 1-2). There's four 4-team districts and one 3-team district. It's a problem for isolated areas (like northeast Texas or the Texarkana area). Also, it's compounded by the fact several potential 5A opponents are now in 8-team districts and don't have room on their pre-district schedules. We've got good numbers of kids who come out for soccer in Paris, but when you can't guaranty any quality playing time, especially on JV, you're going to have a lot of disillusionment. That's not good for your program.

No, I don't want to go back to playing the Dallas suburbs in the playoffs again. I'd just like to see a little more quality schedule, and that's going to take some time while 4A soccer fills out the ranks.

I'm not a coach, and I don't want to return to the way things were. I saw, first-hand, how unfair that was. I don't think bad teams should automatically qualify for playoffs, regardless the sport or classification, and that's what you're going to see until more schools join the Class 4A alignment. If you want to talk about caring, I'd estimate that 99% of the members on this message board could care less if this soccer forum disappeared completely (lots of crickets to past posts, if you'll notice), and to suggest that anybody at UIL cares what I think is laughable.

I agree with you on trying to schedule quality opponents to get ready for the playoffs. Looking at a lot of the 4A schedule on schools websites show multiple games with the same Non-District opponents.

I think the shock of the schedule will take a while to adjust to. While it will be difficult to maintain a competitive edge with many holes in the schedule, or with a lack of competition to even create a district race, I think mos will agree, who have played in the 3A world, that it will be better than being pummeled by schools three times your size, although some of the schools gave larger schools runs for their money.

It will take a little more networking, communication and travel to produce a schedule that was as full and challenging as it was in the past, but it is a step in the right direction for growth.