UIL State Championships vs Bowl Games

LoboFan07

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Baylor and McLane Stadium ought to team up with Dr Pepper or Tx High School Sports Hall of Fame and take one of those bowls away. Central Texas people would get at least 25,000 to Waco.

Problem is a #### load of bowls are owned by ESPN.

The San Diego County Credit Union Poinsetta Bowl looked like it may have the first crowd bigger than the Texas 6AM D1 championship. Of course, it was San Diego State, on their home field, playing Navy, and there's no telling how many Navy ships are in port for the holidays there. So it SHOULD draw a decent crowd.

While I'm sure it's a nice destination for December, how many fans can afford a trip to the Bahamas for a football game?

Makes no sense to me to put one there.

When SMU made it's first bowl game since before I was born, we tried to find any way possible to head over to Hawai'i but it was just too much. Can't imagine it's much cheaper for the Bahamas.

Makes no sense to me to put one there.

When SMU made it's first bowl game since before I was born, we tried to find any way possible to head over to Hawai'i but it was just too much. Can't imagine it's much cheaper for the Bahamas.

At least in Hawaii they have quiet a few local fans that make the game and give the appearance of a decent crowd. They haven't shown a decent shot of the stands since I turned it on, but it looks like less people than I see at East Texas 2A games. But hey, it's got a corporate sponsor, and it's in The Bahamas!

Popeyes Bahamas Bowl official attendance - 13,667

Ok, put yourself in the mind of a kid playing for a MAC or SuBelt team.

Coach: "Guys, we've got our choice of bowl games. We can go to Boise, Idaho, and play in the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl, where the temperature will probably be in the mid 30s, with a chance of rain, sleet, and snow. Or, we can go to Nassau to play in the Popeyes Bahamas Bowl, where the temperature will be in the 80s with sunshine every day. You can spend time on the beach when we're not practicing"

Which way are you gonna vote?

Believe the 3A Div II game last Thursday had this beat. I heard something like 13962, or something like that. Think at least 13K was wearing Maroon & White!!

Yep, 3A D2 has topped two games so far.

I'm pretty sure every single game topped the Bahamas Bowl in actual attendance, since the stadium only held 15K but they announced 13K with literally no one there. Maybe 1000 actually in attendance.

It's really futile to have so many bowl games nowadays if you just look at the attendance levels. Best thing they can do is have a 16-team playoff scenario to draw the fans to different "bowl-sponsored" locations for a real national playoff system. That's 16 teams playing in 8 venues the first week, then 8 teams in 4 venues next, then 4 teams in 2 venues. The final National Championship would fall about the 2nd week in January like it does now. The first week would occur the week immediately following the conference championships. You may be forced to integrate several of the smaller conferences into one conference....or basically enalarge and minimize the number of current conferences. I don't know the numbers and haven't researched them....just an idea to chew on.

The Indy bowl, as a second level tier bowl, generally has one of the highest attendances.

Obviously it's nowhere near a top level bowl, but for it's category, it's almost always among the best with 40K plus more often than not.

And I agree. Most of these bowls need to be gone. The attendances are pitiful.

And if you've ever been to Aloha Stadium.... And I have.... It's a dump. As are most of these bowl stadiums.

Bowls can co-exist with an 8 team playoff bracket. Even a 16 team bracket IMHO.