John Chavis to A&M

WETSU

Two top 100 linebackers set up officials to visit with Chavis... Huge positions of need.

Any news on the Capers-Smith kid looking to play QB? I read an article that said Oregon, Ohio St and others have contacted him about playing QB instead of DB.

And I think it would be huge if the Aggies could pull Lewis away from Ole Miss.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any news on the Capers-Smith kid looking to play QB? I read an article that said Oregon, Ohio St and others have contacted him about playing QB instead of DB.

And I think it would be huge if the Aggies could pull Lewis away from Ole Miss.

He recently said in an interview that the offers to play Qb do not make him consider his commitment. He wants to play DB in the SEC. He is 100% solid with his commitment according to him and his coach, but we all know how those things go...A&M also has discussed if it comes down to him wanting to play qb, they will offer him there as well. He is probably gonna see some snaps there anyway if Kenny Hill transfers because A&M might only have 2 QBs on scholarship.

And yes Lewis would be a big get for A&M. He's set up an official and appears to be very intrigued by Chavis. The other guy is OU commit Ricky Deberry. He chose A&M over the aggies December 19th, but the Chavis hire and rumors of coaching changed at OU have caused him to reconsider. He is still committed to OU, but will visit A&M the latter part of this month.

Lewis would be big and I think there is a very realistic chance. Dewberry, I am guessing just a typo is an OU "commit" but with changes at OU at least gives aggies a chance. All you can hope for is the visit, that gives a chance.

I will say the Oklahoma LB coach is most likely on the way out for sure. However, the coach who actually did the recruiting of Dewberry will still be on staff for sure, defensive line coach Jerry Montgomery.

Some more stats on Chavis at LSU:

TOTAL DEFENSE 2009-14

Team

Yards per game

1. Alabama...263.6

2. Florida...297.0

3. TCU...305.5

4. Michigan St....307.9

5. LSU...309.6

SCORING DEFENSE 2009-14
Team

Yards per game

1. Alabama...12.8

2. LSU...17.1

3. Florida...18.3

4. TCU...18.8

5. Ohio State...19.3

Try these numbers on for size:

According to ESPN Stats & Information, LSU's defense ranked second nationally in scoring defense (17.1 ppg) in Chavis' six-year tenure and fifth in total defense (309.6 ypg). The Tigers were 11th against the run (125.9 ypg) and third against the pass (183.7 ypg) between 2009 and 2014.

Chavis' final season at LSU had its ups and downs. The Tigers are ninth nationally in total defense (316.8 ypg), marking the fifth straight season that Chavis led them to a national top-20 finish. But they also surrendered 570 yards to Mississippi State and 560 to Auburn -- two of the biggest opponent yardage totals in the Miles era at LSU.

Some more stats on Chavis at LSU:

TOTAL DEFENSE 2009-14

Team

Yards per game

1. Alabama...263.6

2. Florida...297.0

3. TCU...305.5

4. Michigan St....307.9

5. LSU...309.6

SCORING DEFENSE 2009-14

Team

Yards per game

1. Alabama...12.8

2. LSU...17.1

3. Florida...18.3

4. TCU...18.8

5. Ohio State...19.3

Try these numbers on for size:

According to ESPN Stats & Information, LSU's defense ranked second nationally in scoring defense (17.1 ppg) in Chavis' six-year tenure and fifth in total defense (309.6 ypg). The Tigers were 11th against the run (125.9 ypg) and third against the pass (183.7 ypg) between 2009 and 2014.

Chavis' final season at LSU had its ups and downs. The Tigers are ninth nationally in total defense (316.8 ypg), marking the fifth straight season that Chavis led them to a national top-20 finish. But they also surrendered 570 yards to Mississippi State and 560 to Auburn -- two of the biggest opponent yardage totals in the Miles era at LSU.

Even half of that kind of production at A&M makes them a 11 win team the last 3 years straight. If he can have an impact similar to that in college station, look out.