District 15-4A Basketball

Parisian

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hoosiers is a movie made by Hollywood, where truth rarely matters. Yes, it's loosely based on the 1954 Milan, Ind., state championship (not Hickory High as depicted), but it was in a time light years removed from the AAU/club scene that dominates most high school sports these days.

BTW, it's one of my favorite sports movies, too.

I'd like to think the team from Muncie Central played YMCA ball/in open gyms year round....lol

Me thrice on the one of my favorite movies...

Final score Friday: Paris 72, Pleasant Grove 65. Cats now 30-0 with only Atlanta left on the regular season schedule. Hawks dominated the boards (something Paris normally doesn't let happen), but were called for 34 fouls (to Paris' 21). Paris made 34 of 48 foul shots (to PG's 14 of 23).

North Lamar also beat Liberty-Eylau, 70-56, on Friday. Don't have a score on Atlanta @ Pittsburg.

Boys standings:

• Paris 9-0 (clinched No. 1 seed)
  • North Lamar 7-2 (No. 2)
  • Pleasant Grove 5-4
  • Liberty-Eylau 4-5

Tuesday's games:

• Paris @ Atlanta
  • Liberty Eylau @ Pleasant Grove
  • Pittsburg @ North Lamar

Comments: PG win over L-E Tuesday clinches No. 3 seed for Hawks. L-E win means a tie for 3rd. District 15 plays 16 in first round of playoffs. Here's their standings:

• Kilgore 8-1 (clinched No. 1)
  • Gilmer 6-3
  • Bullard 5-4
  • Chapel Hill 4-5
  • Gladewater 3-6

District 16 comments: Tuesday's games: Bullard @ Gilmer, Chapel Hill @ Kilgore, Gladewater @ Spring Hill. Gilmer win clinches No. 2; Bullard win forces tie for 2nd. CH win over Kilgore clinches No. 4; Kilgore win and Gladewater win gives GW No. 4 seed.

Paris 71, Atlanta 22 (Cats finish regular season unbeaten at 31-0)

North Lamar 77, Pittsburg 38 (Panthers 27-6 with 4 of those losses vs. Paris)

Boys playoff pairings:

• Paris vs. Gladewater or Chapel Hill (Tyler paper reports that they have a play-in game Friday at Spring Hill although GW swept the season series)
  • North Lamar vs. Bullard
  • Pleasant Grove vs. Gilmer
  • Liberty-Eylau vs. Kilgore

Girls playoff results:

• North Lamar 47, Spring Hill 38
  • Pleasant Grove 41, Kilgore 24
  • Gilmer 34, Paris 33
  • Bullard 53, Pittsburg 33

Paris definitely got the easy playoff draw on the road to Commerce. However, looks like they will play Dallas Madison in the regional semi-finals where their season will come to a screeching halt. North Lamar looks to have a nice draw, as well all the way to the regional-semis, where they will probably face Triple A or the runner-up to Madison, whoever wins that area round game.

Three or four years ago Liberty-Eylau's boys should have won region. Their big man fouled out in final minutes allowing Dallas school to rally and win by one or two points. This year's Paris team is every bit as good if not better than that L-E team.

Not sure what year you are thinking of but no L-E boys team the past decade should have or could have won one of the regional tournaments they were in. Care to refresh everyone's memory as to what year and game that was?

Not sure what year you are thinking of but no L-E boys team the past decade should have or could have won one of the regional tournaments they were in. Care to refresh everyone's memory as to what year and game that was?

I was there in Commerce in 2010 for the Region II finals and Liberty-Eylau was playing Madison for the regional championship. L-E's postman Greene got hurt in regional semifinal win over Carrollton Ranchview. The championship game was close for a half but Madison pulled away in the second half. L-E has been to regional tournament 4 times in last 12 yeers, including 3 of the last 5.

In 2011 L-E beat Crandall in regional semis and was leading Argyle in fourth quarter of championship game. Argyle did rally and win, but I don't see how you can say L-E hasn't come close in last decade.

I was there in Commerce in 2010 for the Region II finals and Liberty-Eylau was playing Madison for the regional championship. L-E's postman Greene got hurt in regional semifinal win over Carrollton Ranchview. The championship game was close for a half but Madison pulled away in the second half. L-E has been to regional tournament 4 times in last 12 yeers, including 3 of the last 5.

In 2011 L-E beat Crandall in regional semis and was leading Argyle in fourth quarter of championship game. Argyle did rally and win, but I don't see how you can say L-E hasn't come close in last decade.

LE was down 22-4 after one in 2010 and lost by 30.

The 2011 game against Argyle was a regional semi and LE never led in the second half. Argyle went on to lose to Dallas Smith the next day (which then shut down and became a computer school, or something).

LE was down 22-4 after one in 2010 and lost by 30.

The 2011 game against Argyle was a regional semi and LE never led in the second half. Argyle went on to lose to Dallas Smith the next day (which then shut down and became a computer school, or something).

Flukeshot you're right. I've been to too many regionals during the last 10 years and my memory isn't what it used to be. I do believe L-E boys were pretty darn good during that 5-year stretch. It's hard to get to the regional tournament. Harder to get to the finals, and even harder to go to state.

Don't worry about it. LE did have some pretty good teams and some good players. But Dallas is such a hotbed of talent and Madison in particular has been on an incredible run the last several years, it makes everyone else look ordinary.

I do wonder if Madison isn't vulnerable to the upset this year though. I mean they've acquitted themselves well against their as usual insanely tough schedule, but looking at their roster on maxpreps they seem to be mostly underclassmen, and their star A&M signee Admon Gilder is scoring a whole lot of their points. Well, we'll see.

Girls Area Round Playoffs:

• North Lamar vs. Canton, Friday, 7 pm, at Sulphur Springs (Winner plays winner of Bullard vs. Ferris, Friday, 8:30 pm, at Willis Point in next week's regional quarterfinal)
  • Pleasant Grove vs. Brownsboro, Friday, 6 pm, at TJC Wagstaff (Winner plays winner of Gilmer vs. Crandall, Friday, 8 pm, at Emory Rains)

Paris will to need to get back to what I saw during tourney games...maybe due to combination of opponents getting better and the Wildcats dominance in district, I have not seen the same team from earlier in season...I am sure that a good warmup opponent and playoffs will improve the intensity and overall play

during the last three weeks I have watched them play four times, the Cats just don't appear to be as fluid on offense as they were earlier in year...in the playoffs the guards will have to play really well for any chance to win regional...look forward to watching them at Commerce and hope Steed gets to SanAn

Paris will to need to get back to what I saw during tourney games...maybe due to combination of opponents getting better and the Wildcats dominance in district, I have not seen the same team from earlier in season...I am sure that a good warmup opponent and playoffs will improve the intensity and overall play

during the last three weeks I have watched them play four times, the Cats just don't appear to be as fluid on offense as they were earlier in year...in the playoffs the guards will have to play really well for any chance to win regional...look forward to watching them at Commerce and hope Steed gets to SanAn

They're not playing well right now ... and they're down a starting guard (knee bruise, could be back this year). They're very thin on the bench, and that could be an issue if a starter gets in foul trouble. The one positive note you can say about them ... they haven't been challenged many times this season (just 3 games with victory margins in single digits), but when they have been challenged, they've been able to find a second gear. I just hope they can make it thru to regionals and give it their best shot.