basketball officials

LoneStardom5

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

obviously larger schools typically get assigned "better" officials by their chapter secretary. All officials call boys and girls game but I think most officials agree you call the games somewhat differently. As far as bad officials, if you ever have to go to Bethel to play the Palestine area recruits you will taste some true Home Cooking. Mostly the officiating reciprocates the play and coaching. Why expect NCAA quality officiating for a group of kids that cant make free throws or coaches that just roll out a ball.

Tyler chapter is as bad as I've seen in a while.

Varsity action last night, boys and girls, had a combined +60 fouls called. No need for the tacky calls. No need for a 2.5 hour hoops game.

Being more consistent is one thing I'd like to see.

Another I'd like to see if officials not holding a grudge against a school in hoops because that school "blacklisted" them from doing football games there.

Officials are only bad if they like attention. The ones that cause attention to themselves need to be gone. These are the ones that laugh and shake head while making calls, Starring at coaches while making calls, or making calls loud and comedic. Also if you are an official be consistent with your calls, dont call tight then loose tight then loose.

The whole hand checking thing has been taken way overboard by the officials this year.

I would agree with many points...

Coaches and fans want consistency..... I would like more consistency between chapters... they all have the same rules... I would be interested in seeing the average number of fouls called by chapter/crew/size of school... at the end of the day, players and coaches need to be able to adjust to how the game is being called, but to their defense, 50 total fouls one game to 18 the next in a different chapter is quite perplexing when similar styles of ball were being played between the two games....

Proximity and clarity of fans/coaching yelling can definitely cause several issues

officiating reciprocating the play/coaching was well said...

The ref's I've seen this season have been worse than Horrible and there always seems to be one that thinks that the fans paid their money to come watch him call a game. I understand that its not an easy job and calls will be missed but if a call is made over and over on one end of the court then the same call should be made on the other end. I don't think an official should allowed to call a game at a school that he/she has a connection to.

I'm appreciative of the job they do. Wouldn't want that responsibility and headache for myself. I don't like a tightly-called game as long as it doesn't get out of control. I don't care to watch a drawn-out, free throw shooting contest. The problem choosing chapters is that there's limited choice in rural areas like East Texas. You're pretty much forced to pick the closest chapter due to time constraints of travel. Very hard for somebody with a full-time job to get away in time to ref a 4:30 JV tipoff. Just have to hope you're solid enough to beat questionable officiating on those nights when the calls don't roll your way.

Varsity action last night, boys and girls, had a combined +60 fouls called. No need for the tacky calls. No need for a 2.5 hour hoops game.

Another I'd like to see if officials not holding a grudge against a school in hoops because that school "blacklisted" them from doing football games there.

makes more sence now; I thought all the delays were from ineptness.

The guys out of the Longview chapter who called the 4 games at Joaquin last night are top-notch. Super nice, and they're big basketball fans, too.

There isn't a Longview chapter. More than likely it was Deep East Texas chapter. Because Tyler chapter blows.

The ref's I've seen this season have been worse than Horrible and there always seems to be one that thinks that the fans paid their money to come watch him call a game. I understand that its not an easy job and calls will be missed but if a call is made over and over on one end of the court then the same call should be made on the other end. I don't think an official should allowed to call a game at a school that he/she has a connection to.

Ohhhh, y'all played in White Oak? Makes complete sense.

As a former varsity official, let me say that it is very easy to call 50+ fouls in one game and only 18 in the next. No 2 games are the same. The matchups are different, thus the defensive approach and play will be different.

It is difficult to call bc of a few things..1) you have different officials that see things differently. For example, if I question 100 coaches what level of contact is acceptable in the post, you will get very different answers. Some coaches believe bb is a non contact sport and want 50 fouls a game and you have some that believe, unless there is sexual penetration there is no foul. Many times, it is based on their coaching style and personnel. Well, the same for officials. I am 5'11 and grew up playing the guard position. Open space is my comfort zone, but if my 6'8 partner is a former inside player, his comfort zone is post. What he sees as normal contact, I may see as too physical for post play. Add that with different style of defense and offense, you will end up with different calls.

2) many basketball coaches like to put on a show for fans with their antics. Snide comments, foot stomping, and crazy arm antics are designed to intentionally fans off at refs and draw attention to themselves and the refs. I don't have as much issue with football coaches. 3) there are just as many refs that like to put on a show and when you are their partner it makes you look bad. You can't make up calls for balance or you are cheating. What do you do? 4) shortage of officials. Number 1 reason why put won't sign up, because of the way coaches act and second reason is the early start times. Something will have to give.

If you love the game, you should join a chapter and go for it. It is a blast, frustrating, exciting, humbling and relaxing all in one. Good luck to the teams and my former colleagues this season.

There isn't a Longview chapter. More than likely it was Deep East Texas chapter. Because Tyler chapter blows.

There isn't? I called out of the longview chapter. I know officials that call out of the longview chapter. It's not the same entity as tyler, or wasn't. Honestly don't know its actual name but know it;s different from tyler.

Chapters in the area that I know of are...

Tyler

Longview

Dogwood

SFA

Further north there is Commerce

Further south is Beaumont (two actually) and another unknown named one that is no bueno.

The whole hand checking thing has been taken way overboard by the officials this year.

The rules on hand checking were tightened this year by the NFHS:

10-6-12 NEW: The following acts constitute a foul when committed against a ball handler/dribbler:

a. Placing two hands on the player.

b. Placing an extended arm bar on the player.

c. Placing and keeping a hand on the player.

d. Contacting the player more than once with the same hand or alternating hands.

There isn't? I called out of the longview chapter. I know officials that call out of the longview chapter. It's not the same entity as tyler, or wasn't. Honestly don't know its actual name but know it;s different from tyler.

Chapters in the area that I know of are...

Tyler

Longview

Dogwood

SFA

Further north there is Commerce

Further south is Beaumont (two actually) and another unknown named one that is no bueno.

Taso website doesn't show Longview chapter.

I agree 100%

You hit the nail on the head about officials holding a grudge. They are human and have egos, but they need to realize it's not about them. Those officials that start looking in the stands when someone says something are the ones you need to worry about.

Tyler has some good officials, but like you said they need to be more consistent.

The Longview chapter seems to be really trying to train their officials and improve the quality of officiating. Right now I think Longview is best in East Texas. (I'm sure I'll eat my words later. lol)

I

Taso website doesn't show Longview chapter.

I guess Deep East Texas Chapter is where the Longview guys went. Either one, they are better than Tyler.

They are still a separate chapter. I knew i wasn't going loco. They aren't a TASO chapter. They are THSBOA. I remember back recently when you were either UIL or TASO (i think that was the argument) they were a UIL chapter.

http://lboa.webstarts.com/

Dont know who ref'd the center @ Marshall game a few weeks back. They were the worst crew ive seen in awile. Fouls were being called like no tommorow. Seemed like to breathe on an opponent would bring a whistle. Had some starters sitting on bench from mid 1st to 4th to avoid the foul out. Ended up only being like 2 foul outs because they werent as bad in 4th. Guess they literally got tired of blowing it. The whistle

Stop complaining about the refs. You go grab a whistle and pay your dues and take the tests and attend the meetings regularly and take time away from your family and go out there and do what these men and women do every night. Oh and listen to what your buddies in the stands say to you while you're out there.

Don't whine about it. There is a shortage of refs out there so everyone who is complaining should come sign up to call for the area chapters.

What people don't realize is that fans and coaches run off several refs each season with their childish, asinine behavior so you get what you get. Just saying...

Stop complaining about the refs. You go grab a whistle and pay your dues and take the tests and attend the meetings regularly and take time away from your family and go out there and do what these men and women do every night. Oh and listen to what your buddies in the stands say to you while you're out there.

Don't whine about it. There is a shortage of refs out there so everyone who is complaining should come sign up to call for the area chapters.

What people don't realize is that fans and coaches run off several refs each season with their childish, asinine behavior so you get what you get. Just saying...

lol ok...

I agree most refs( good and bad) get treated like crud by homer fans and coaches. Makes things worse that fans are close enough to hear in basketball. Fans get used to screaming at them from far away during football season and it carries over into basketball. Sadly, its become somewhat of a tradition in sporting events. Been too long since ive heard someone say good call ref. Not counting the team the call was helping. Or how about a, you called a good game today ref. Not saying you dont actually get some bad refs every now and then. Consistancy seems to be their biggest flaw at this level. Some crews call games much tighter than others. Teams dont know how physical they can be from one game to the next.