HS soccer is cold and brutal.

Hayseed

Man I never really get a chance to cover a whole soccer game outside of just a few early season Saturday day games. Once district play starts Center and Tenahas' contests turn to night games on Tuesday's and Friday's so I do sometimes catch one that is at the same location as a basketball game I'm covering. I go out between b-ball games and take a few pics, usually catch a thorough chill down to the bone, then I bounce back into the gym to warm-up and get back to work. The soccer coaches are nice enough to sent me stats and a recap for the paper. It's my understanding that the high school level here in the USA is the only level of the game that plays the main part of soccer season this time of the year. It has to be brutal on natural-turf fields too. Besides the extreme temps, I've noticed that virtually every team that plays soccer and can afford to replaces their grass with turf.

Why is soccer played in the winter in the South? Club soccer.

Just as AAU is the highest level of competitive junior basketball, Club soccer is the highest level of soccer. When UIL were upsetting Kirt & Colmes by sanctioning high school soccer, many of the club players could not play for their school if it interferred with their club team.

Club soccer is a major reason it's in the winter (as opposed to spring), and it would be unthinkable to interfere with fall football in Texas.

Honestly, there's lots of Texas winter nights when it's almost bearable to be outside watching a match and certainly OK to play one. When it dips into the lower 40s or wind chills in the 20s, you've got to be a dedicated fan or family member or have access to a sturdy portable heater.

I wish the UIL would do like the NCAA and move soccer to the fall.

It wouldn't interfere with football at all from a fan's perspective. It may create a problem for a few athletes, but not many. How many soccer players play football? My guess is not many.

I know ETBU and the American Southwest conference play their games on Tuesdays and Fridays..... and occasionally on Saturday either before or after the football game or when the football team is on the road.

UIL could move soccer to Aug-November and play on Mondays and Thursdays or Tuesdays and Saturdays. That way there is no interference with football.

JMHO