Paterno to be winningest coach again

RedCreek49

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12179571/joe-paterno-112-wins-were-vacated-restored

The NCAA on Friday announced a proposed agreement that would restore 112 wins by Penn State's football team that were wiped out during the Jerry Sandusky child molestation scandal and would put the late Joe Paterno back as the winningest coach in major college football history.

I am so glad to see this. Joe Paterno, regardless of what really went down or if he really knew, is one of the biggest icons in sports history. His dedication and success at PSU will NEVER be matched by another coach in college football.

They "want their wins back"? Are you kidding me? I'm sure all those kids would like their anal virginity back.

Anyone who can speak in support of Joe Paterno is a flaming idiot. The man knew what was going on and did virtually nothing. Absolutely ridiculous.

I'm a little rusty on the details of this so let's discuss it. Was it ever PROVEN that Paterno knew of this and turned the other cheek? I'm asking because us assuming and it being proven are two totally different things.

I also want you to look at this from another point of view. Let's say he did know what happened. He then was faced with two options. Tell the press and have the university dragged into it on his terms, or try to conceal it and make sure it never happened again. I'm not talking about paying kids off or anything like that, but relieving Sandusky of his duties and letting the legal aspect shake out however the victims see fit.

Paterno did not commit these crimes. He was not lying and concealing these crimes. He simply made a mistake on how to handle it, if he even knew to begin with. I think lumping him with the guilty party is too harsh.

They "want their wins back"? Are you kidding me? I'm sure all those kids would like their anal virginity back.

Anyone who can speak in support of Joe Paterno is a flaming idiot. The man knew what was going on and did virtually nothing. Absolutely ridiculous.

+1000

+1000

I'm a little rusty on the details of this so let's discuss it. Was it ever PROVEN that Paterno knew of this and turned the other cheek? I'm asking because us assuming and it being proven are two totally different things.

I also want you to look at this from another point of view. Let's say he did know what happened. He then was faced with two options. Tell the press and have the university dragged into it on his terms, or try to conceal it and make sure it never happened again. I'm not talking about paying kids off or anything like that, but relieving Sandusky of his duties and letting the legal aspect shake out however the victims see fit.

Paterno did not commit these crimes. He was not lying and concealing these crimes. He simply made a mistake on how to handle it, if he even knew to begin with. I think lumping him with the guilty party is too harsh.

Simply made a mistake? Are you kidding me? He simply leave his lights on his car. He didn't simply forget to put the toilet seat down. If he knew this, which he absolutely had to know, he was just as guilty. He would have been an accomplice to the crimes.

Simply made a mistake? Are you kidding me? He simply leave his lights on his car. He didn't simply forget to put the toilet seat down. If he knew this, which he absolutely had to know, he was just as guilty. He would have been an accomplice to the crimes.

He was never viewed as an accomplice is my point. If there had been factual evidence it was covered up he would have been on trial as well.

I'm not going to judge one of the class acts of college football based on an assumption. If it was fact he knew and covered it up, then I agree with burning his reputation. But I'm not willing to discredit all the class he showed during his time there because of an assumption. Again that's why I asked if it was ever proven he lied or tried to help Sandusky.

Tell the press? Do what? I just refuse to believe you are even being remotely serious here. Hell no JoPa shouldn't have gone to the press. He should've gone to the police.

And yes you must be very foggy indeed. It has been proven definitively that he knew what was going on. He DID virtually nothing. In fact, he enabled Sandusky by allowing him access to the athletic facilities and host camps ect with freaking KIDS!

The old man closed his office door, turned a deaf ear and pretended nothing was happening. He deserves no glory

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1256931-penn-state-football-scandal-now-we-know-what-joe-paterno-knew

Here's an article which explains what Joe Paterno knew... for those of you with foggy memories. McQueary testified that he told Paterno what he saw and the article goes on to explain how Paterno was part of the cover up. In fact, Paterno knew well before this incident that due to the 1998 investigation of Sandusky. Paterno cut short a fund raising trip and canceled a vacation due to the investigation. Shortly thereafter Sandusky resigned as the defensive coordinator for the Lions. There is no way on earth that Paterno did not know why or what hid DC was being investigated and subsequently resigned for. At the end, Joe Paterno tried to plead ignorance and innocent but that was only to try and cover his own butt(pun intended)

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1256931-penn-state-football-scandal-now-we-know-what-joe-paterno-knew

Here's an article which explains what Joe Paterno knew... for those of you with foggy memories. McQueary testified that he told Paterno what he saw and the article goes on to explain how Paterno was part of the cover up. In fact, Paterno knew well before this incident that due to the 1998 investigation of Sandusky. Paterno cut short a fund raising trip and canceled a vacation due to the investigation. Shortly thereafter Sandusky resigned as the defensive coordinator for the Lions. There is no way on earth that Paterno did not know why or what hid DC was being investigated and subsequently resigned for. At the end, Joe Paterno tried to plead ignorance and innocent but that was only to try and cover his own butt(pun intended)

Thanks for the link. Yea if he did all that I agree he deserved what he got. Shame that such a great story had such a terrible ending.

Yeah, it's a shame he's getting his wins back, but at least he died knowing his precious (and fraudulent) image was in the crapper with everyone save his worshippers in Happy Valley. You can't put a price tag on that.

Now the question is: will Penn State have the nerve to put his statue back up?

Yeah, it's a shame he's getting his wins back, but at least he died knowing his precious (and fraudulent) image was in the crapper with everyone save his worshippers in Happy Valley. You can't put a price tag on that.

Now the question is: will Penn State have the nerve to put his statue back up?

When was it ever taken down?

Thanks for the link. Yea if he did all that I agree he deserved what he got. Shame that such a great story had such a terrible ending.

It's cool man. The question as to whether JP knew is and has been settled for some time now. If he was the noble man some claim him to be, he would've owned up to what he did and I would at least have a shred of respect for that.

There were at least 19 people that new of what Sandusky did including Anthony Sassano Office of Attorney General, Ray Gricar County District Attorney, Jerry Lauro Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare, Ralph Ralston State College Police Detective. I think Paterno thought the authorities were handling the molestation accusations. While there does seem to be a coverup, what more could Paterno do that wasn't being done by the Police and District Attorneys office ? This might be why the NCAA has reinstated the wins.

There were at least 19 people that new of what Sandusky did including Anthony Sassano Office of Attorney General, Ray Gricar County District Attorney, Jerry Lauro Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare, Ralph Ralston State College Police Detective. I think Paterno thought the authorities were handling the molestation accusations. While there does seem to be a coverup, what more could Paterno do that wasn't being done by the Police and District Attorneys office ? This might be why the NCAA has reinstated the wins.

Interesting.

Paterno won games with recruits that he otherwise would not have gotten (at lease a good many of them) if the truth would have come out! So, in my opinion, Paterno covered up the actions so he his recruiting wold not be affects and win more games!

Let's say hypothetically that JoePa told the truth about it the moment it happened and Sandusky was properly dealt with. How would that have hurt recruiting?

Let's say hypothetically that JoePa told the truth about it the moment it happened and Sandusky was properly dealt with. How would that have hurt recruiting?

We don't actually know that he didn't. We do know that Gary Schultz and Timothy Curley were indicted, and I'm not sure if they would have charged Joe Paterno if he hadn't passed away. Evidently the NCAA decided for whatever reason to reinstate those victories, if they find that Paterno did know more than what is on record, I'm sure they will take them away again.

Doesn't matter. Recruiting isn't even an afterthought when something like this comes to light.

So did all the team that got put on probation and had titles and games took away from them. If you give Penn State back their wins then you might as well reinstate wins for all the other teams! The only reason they are reinstating the wins is because of the lawsuit!