Interesting deer trail cam

Five0pd310

There have been quite a few northern whitetail deers brought in by breeders over the years in East Texas. My step brother bread deer for over 30 years and I have seen quite a few reddish colored deer with heavier coats that were bred with native Texas whitetails so the genes are definitely out there to occur. I have seen a few over the years in the wild but they aren't some thing you see that often.

^

Compared to antlered doe how often do you reckon? (lol)

I have never seen an antlered doe, but I know they are out there. I have seen a dozen or so reddish longer haired whitetails over the past 40+ years ... There are probably more of the reddish deer around my neck of the woods than other parts of East Texas because of the breeders and the cross breeding with native Texas deer.

There have been quite a few northern whitetail deers brought in by breeders over the years in East Texas. My step brother bread deer for over 30 years and I have seen quite a few reddish colored deer with heavier coats that were bred with native Texas whitetails so the genes are definitely out there to occur. I have seen a few over the years in the wild but they aren't some thing you see that often.

Didn't a man get sent to prison a few years back for bringing deer into Texas from outside for breeding purposes? I remember something weird like that.

I don't think it was illegal, Breeders did it a lot back in the and 70s and 80s and I'm pretty sure it was well known. There are certain rules to follow if you do bring them across state lines.

http://www.deerbreeders.com/transporting-deer-to-and-from-deer-breeders/

http://www.newarkadvocate.com/story/news/investigations/2014/06/27/trophy-deer-industry-means-big-bucks-ohio/11530197/

http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/2008/11/deer-smuggler-from-texas-minne.html/

That's an article over the case I was thinking about. Don't get me to lying. It confuses me.

The Lacey Act of 1900 allowed the crime to be tried federally, but it looks like it only applies to the transport of illegally taken, possessed, transported, or sold across state lines. I can't find why these deer in question were illegal to begin with.

http://www.ammoland.com/2010/02/texas-men-sentenced-to-federal-prison-for-deer-trafficking/#axzz3PvkZDAKD

^^^ There's another article about two others convicted of illegally transporting deer. It explains more about why it was unlawful. Apparently in 2002 they started cracking down on the importation of live deer because of the disease risks involved.

All of the legitimate deer breeders have breeders permits and get regular visits from TPW officials to ensure they are legal. Several years ago, my step brother even had Dr Kroll out to his operation and they did some embreo implants with some of his does with fertilized eggs from some northern strain extreamly large non-typical bucks.

All of the legitimate deer breeders have breeders permits and get regular visits from TPW officials to ensure they are legal. Several years ago, my step brother even had Dr Kroll out to his operation and they did some embreo implants with some of his does with fertilized eggs from some northern strain extreamly large non-typical bucks.

One thing I read stated that the transport and sell of buck semen is still completely legal. They're only worried about the spread of CWD, I think.

I've got a friend who runs a big high fence breeding outfit in the Crockett area. I tell him all the time if it was up to me, he would've been out of business a long time ago. If I ever shoot a 180" or bigger deer, it won't be because I picked it out from behind the glass on some trophy ranch.

I've got a friend who runs a big high fence breeding outfit in the Crockett area. I tell him all the time if it was up to me, he would've been out of business a long time ago. If I ever shoot a 180" or bigger deer, it won't be because I picked it out from behind the glass on some trophy ranch.

Anyone who does this isnt a hunter.

Back to the original question, I think that if the temp of 16' is correct in the picture that is the answer to why he is so fuzzy. When it's that cold their hair stands up and you can see much more of it. I bet if you saw the same deer in 45' he would be gray. Plus deer are like us, there are different degrees of color in their hair.

Back to the original question, I think that if the temp of 16' is correct in the picture that is the answer to why he is so fuzzy. When it's that cold their hair stands up and you can see much more of it. I bet if you saw the same deer in 45' he would be gray. Plus deer are like us, there are different degrees of color in their hair.

Why would the weather only be affecting the one deer? As far as the color....that was never an issue to me. I've seen plenty of deer rusty like that. I just thought the long fluffy hair was interesting.

BTW...the thermometer on that camera generally shows the temp about 4 degrees colder than it actually is...but it's consistent. It was probably about 20.

For the same reason that your wife may sometimes wear a coat and you don't, or vice versa. The same reason one of you may shiver, while the other doesn't. He may have simply been colder than the other deer was. I think the angle that he was standing in reference to the camera probably adds to the fuzzy appearance.

Yeah I'm not against them, they just aren't for me..... even if I had that kind of money to waste.

I agree. Even if I had all the money in the world, I still wouldn't get much out of shooting "penned up" creatures. I might buy me a few toys to get myself a little further out into the deep-woods though!