Longhorn Spring

JustAFan11

Starting this thread to cover the current team, incoming recruits, and 2016 recruiting.

I'm liking some of the talk around the S&C workouts. Most of the talk is surrounded by the difference between Strong's 1st spring compared to his 2nd one. The players realize how serious he is this time around and 97% are buying in. The workouts have been grueling and they are being pushed harder than ever.

Word is that Wickline really likes what he has athletically on campus. Of the 6 early enrolled 4 were OL. The fact that Wickline is liking them makes me happy. I'm not expecting them to be a top unit in the conference but I'll take what I can get.

The incoming DBs are expected to compete for playing time right away. As well as Wheeler and Cherry at MLB.

Everyone wants to know about the QB position but not much out there right now.

Texas will host their first, and right now only, JR day on the 28th. We'll update as it gets closer.

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wonder who will start. Question marks on all of them with heard with the most potential.( See Garrett Gilbert was as well. )What if Swoopes has an awesome spring?

Would be interesting too see him at TE. Gray has a lot to prove now so there is that as well.

Swoopes has the most experience on the roster. He won't be a TE while at Texas. Gray won't carry the load by himself, Catalon will push for carriers once healthy and Foreman will as well. Some think Foreman may make the move to DE or LB but nothing official on that yet.

I wonder who will start. Question marks on all of them with heard with the most potential.( See Garrett Gilbert was as well. )What if Swoopes has an awesome spring?

Would be interesting too see him at TE. Gray has a lot to prove now so there is that as well.

So what you're saying is that just because a qb is a 5* that's won three state titles in a row with a Gatorade player of the year he may not pan out??

Just curios

@RivalsJason: Five-star @SheaPatterson_1 is headed to #OleMiss http://t.co/Zi9Lgg0I0k

Shea Patterson had shown early intrest in Texas but the Horns weren't in it late. He says that he is completely shutting down his recruitment.

Ole Mi$$

So UT fans, I know that spring games are not the "be all, end all", but what if Heard just does not look the part? What's the plan then. I don't think you can trot Swoopes out their again.

Ole Mi$$

So UT fans, I know that spring games are not the "be all, end all", but what if Heard just does not look the part? What's the plan then. I don't think you can trot Swoopes out their again.

Stop acting like that Valhalla. Heard is going to work out. If not Locksley is more than qualified to take the job. There's not doubt the QB situation at texas is as good or better than anyone in the region.

Ole Mi$$

It will get real interesting if Heard Struggles in the spring game. Texas still has the possibility to bring in a grad transfer for fall and Locksley will be there as well. We could have 4 scholarship QBs in fall camp and at that point you've gotta see which is the last one standing. It's definitely not idea but this is what we are left with because of the previous coaching staff.

Please show where anybody has said that? Anyone? Anyone at all?

Kirt Believes that Texas is just as good at the QB position as A&M. Immortal believes and has stated many times that he is really impressed by Locksley and Heard. Justafan11 has said he believes Heard makes big steps in year two as well.

those were their statements and ideas, not mine. So there is your proof. Thanks for playing.

image.jpg

WETSU, do I get to count this year as year 1 for Heard since he RS last season?? Haha

I do believe that Heard will be adequate at QB this year, especially if they simplify the offense like has been said. I will be glued to the tv when spring practices begin. More than anything I want to see a QB that will take control and put plays behind him, good or bad. For me that was the biggest disappointment with Swoopes last year.

I've said before and I have no problem saying again, I think Heard will do great. I'm excited to see him play and how well he does having a year to get to know the playbook and players around him. Does that mean I'll be right? Of course not, but I'm still excited to see what he can do.

WETSU, do I get to count this year as year 1 for Heard since he RS last season?? Haha

I do believe that Heard will be adequate at QB this year, especially if they simplify the offense like has been said. I will be glued to the tv when spring practices begin. More than anything I want to see a QB that will take control and put plays behind him, good or bad. For me that was the biggest disappointment with Swoopes last year.

No I think we have to count this as year two bud. He's been through 2 spring practices and 2 fall camps by time the season kicks off.

I do think Heard will be better than Swoopes no doubt. Heard is better suiting to run the type of offense Texas is talking about running. I think whether he is the QB of the future is debatable, but he's got as much potential as any. I think Texas fans do have reason for optimism with him.

Absolutely you get to count this as year one for Heard. Don't you remember the freshman Johnny "Football" Manziel at A&M?

No I think we have to count this as year two bud. He's been through 2 spring practices and 2 fall camps by time the season kicks off.

I do think Heard will be better than Swoopes no doubt. Heard is better suiting to run the type of offense Texas is talking about running. I think whether he is the QB of the future is debatable, but he's got as much potential as any. I think Texas fans do have reason for optimism with him.

Wrong in my opinion. Heard hasn't taken a snap in a real game and will be a red-shirt freshman... not a red-shirt sophomore. An extra spring does not matter when there was literally three QBs ahead of him taking snaps.

Absolutely you get to count this as year one for Heard. Don't you remember the freshman Johnny "Football" Manziel at A&M?

I always consider a player who went through spring ball and redshirted to be a second year player. The biggest jumps in improvement typically come from first year on campus to second. Regardless if you are a RS freshman or a sophmore.

Wrong in my opinion. Heard hasn't taken a snap in a real game and will be a red-shirt freshman... not a red-shirt sophomore. An extra spring does not matter when there was literally three QBs ahead of him taking snaps.

We just differ in opinions on that I suppose. Not saying you're wrong, it's just not how I see it.

I was referring to your last sentence and you saying as good or better than anyone in the region. But I should have been more specific.

The picture I posted shows where Kirt believes that Texas qb situation is as good as A&Ms. If "region" isn't implied in that then he must believe texas Tech or OU is better off? I don't think so.

No not at all. Just saying Heard might be a bust and might not. Just because somebody outside of your fan base is questioning doesn't mean they are trolling.

Then by your standard of logic, EVERY high school QB going to college could be a bust.

Word is that Wickline really likes what he has athletically on campus. Of the 6 early enrolled 4 were OL. The fact that Wickline is liking them makes me happy. I'm not expecting them to be a top unit in the conference but I'll take what I can get.

I read somewhere, I think BON, that the coaches were pleased with Conner Williams and Garrett Thomas' work ethic.

Ole Mi$$

You hope Heard gets better during fall camp or Locksley gets it in that short amount of time.

The picture I posted shows where Kirt believes that Texas qb situation is as good as A&Ms. If "region" isn't implied in that then he must believe texas Tech or OU is better off? I don't think so.

I can't wait to see how Murry fares as a QB on a team that isn't head and shoulders better than the opposition. Yes, I think Texas is in just as good a position at QB as A&M. Murry may or may not be up to the competition level, time will tell. I would not be surprised to see Heard excel for the Longhorns because of his size and ability to run their offense. Again, time will tell.

I can't wait to see how Murry fares as a QB on a team that isn't head and shoulders better than the opposition. Yes, I think Texas is in just as good a position at QB as A&M. Murry may or may not be up to the competition level, time will tell. I would not be surprised to see Heard excel for the Longhorns because of his size and ability to run their offense. Again, time will tell.

Did u see the all american game he played in. Near perfect