15-4A Baseball

PGHawkfan

Wouldn't say that they have more talent but; they definitely have more character & "want to". Most of these seniors have played together in travel ball since they were 12 years old. They know how to play as a team. I do think the pitching will be better overall this year. I think Coach Fincher has at least 3-4 that he can go to. PG has primarily had a 1-2 punch for the last several years. I also think the #1 pitcher can be as dominant as this district has seen in a long time.

I remember watching PG play argyle last year and I was thoroughly impressed by the Hawks. I was also shocked to see the number of starters y'all had coming back. Another trip to state for the Hawks wouldn't surprise me at all. I've always been impressed by PG's fundamentals. They rarely make errors. They are also aggressive and make their opponents make mistakes and then the Hawks capitalize. Very fun team to watch!

They are playing so loose this season. It's fun to watch.

Jarod Bayless is certainly known for his pitching but he is killing the ball hitting this year. They don't seem to have a full time third baseman this year. So far its been played be a committee of guys. Pleasant surprise has been Ashby behind the plate and hitting. He has been solid (not flashy but productive) at the plate and solid behind it. Hes thrown out base runners in almost every game this season.

Wouldn't say that they have more talent but; they definitely have more character & "want to". Most of these seniors have played together in travel ball since they were 12 years old. They know how to play as a team. I do think the pitching will be better overall this year. I think Coach Fincher has at least 3-4 that he can go to. PG has primarily had a 1-2 punch for the last several years. I also think the #1 pitcher can be as dominant as this district has seen in a long time.

more character....you have got to be kidding me

Friday's Scores:

• Pleasant Grove 9, Atlanta 1 (Jarod Bayless 1-hitter)
  • North Lamar 2, Paris 1 (9 innings)...great pitcher's duel between NL's Ty Jones (4 hits, 5 K's, 0 walks) and Paris' Phillip Sikes (3 hits, 6 K's, 2 walks). NL leadoff Bayden Steed was the difference, scoring both NL runs with walk, 2 infield singles, triple, and stolen base. His speed contributed to only 2 Paris errors that finally ended the game. Otherwise, well-played game by both teams.
  • Liberty-Eylau 3, Pittsburg 1 (don't know any details, but I'm wondering if Kemon Freeman pitched for L-E; he looked strong in an inning of relief vs. Paris last week)

Tuesday will be a night to see who has a dependable No. 2 pitcher. PG hosts NL on Tuesday and Paris on Friday (figures to be matchup of Bayless vs. Sikes).

What pg team in the past has not played together since they were 8,9,10,11,12. They play PGYA then select or whatever they call it now. This is why they will always be in the hunt. Huge numbers when young equals a few that are solid high school players. That equaled success last time I checked.

Tuesday scores:

• Pleasant Grove 10, North Lamar 0 (6 innings)...Hawks hit a couple out, Pearlman got the shutout, and Panthers imploded with 5 errors
  • Paris 2, Pittsburg 0...Channing Parker with 2-hitter and 8 Ks, 3 Pirate errors contributed to the 2 runs, Pitt has now scored a grand total of 1 run through 3 district games
  • Atlanta 11, Liberty-Eylau 4...don't have any details

So it's now PG 3-0, NL and Paris 2-1, L-E and Atlanta 1-2, Pitt 0-3. Paris goes to PG Friday in a matchup of aces (Sikes vs. Bayless). Hope it's a close game but the Paris offense hasn't shown much sign of life to create any optimism.

Another run-rule tonight in district for PG...10-0 over Paris. Other than Hawks it's a weak district this year.

Atlanta beat Pittsburg, 11-1.

So it's PG 4-0, Paris 2-2, Atlanta 2-2, Pitt 0-4.

Liberty-Eylau is at North Lamar tonight, late start. NL leads 3-0 after 1 inning, so if Panthers win as expected they'll be 3-1 and L-E 1-3.

Atlanta 2, Paris 1 (9 innings)...Rabbits score game-winner on bases-loaded walk. Paris walked 11 batters and hit another, dropped 3 flies/popups. Both Atlanta runs unearned. Rabbits left 16 runners stranded.

Pittsburg 7, North Lamar 6...Game ends on walkoff walk after Panthers jumped out to 6-0 lead.

So PG now has 2-game lead at halfway mark over NL and Atlanta (both 3-2). Paris 2-3. L-E and Pitt both 1-4.

I heard PG's No. 9 hitter is working on a 12-hit streak at the plate. Talk about being out of their league. Atlanta gets both NL and Paris at home in second half and should hold the edge for 2nd place. Never seen so many dropped flies. Lack of practice time is really killing the quality of play (outside of PG).