5A UIL STATE CHAMPIONSHIP #5Lufkin vs #2 East View

Crawford

Georgetown, TX - The Lufkin boys soccer team is headed to the state final.

The pack got the 1-0 win in their state semifinal game against Tomball Memorial in Georgetown.

Once the Lufkin Panthers stepped on the field, they put on a show for the crowd that wouldn't disappoint.

After a few minutes, the Pack got into their offensive groove with two good looks at the goal early in the first half and Chris Marquez scored the game's only goal.

"I don't even know where it came from I can't believe I scored," Marquez said.

That's how the first half ended, with pack 1-0 with Marquez being the hero.

The Pack had even more offensive chances in the second half with Omar Zamarripa hitting the post twice.
"Oh man the next ones have to come in next ones have to come in," said Zamarripa. "Our coach told us to try out the goalkeeper and that's what we did."

"We hit every post out here today and so I knew we were just going to have to hold on in the end," said head coach Russell Shaw. "It was just crazy. "

Tomball Memorial threw everything they had at Lufkin and certainly had their own chances, but defense came through for the Pack.

"Defensively we stopped every ball they put in and they put a bunch in there," Shaw said. "That's been our team all year, we've been a strong defensive team.

So the Lufkin Panthers came out victorious in this state semi final 1-0 and will have their shot at being named this years 5 A state champions

"It was amazing having all the fans behind us, the whole Lufkin high school has been really great,"Zamarripa said."

"We're in the finals. It's a dream come true for all these kids were so proud of them," Shaw said. "We're so blessed to have them and I'm really happy for our school and our town. They get to see what big time high school soccer is all about and it's beautiful."

The Panthers will have a day of rest before their state final against an opponent who has yet to be named. That game will be this Saturday in Georgetown starting at 1:30.

Its about time Omar starts shooting. He is an exceptional player that creates many opportunites for his teammates but is so unselfish he doesnt shoot. Huge Congrats to the Lufkin boys and Good Luck in the Finals. Very proud of all them.